Skyray- leave it on the shelf?

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Morgrim
Shas'Saal

Skyray- leave it on the shelf?

Post#1 » Aug 23 2017 11:53

So is the sky ray worth using in 8th? Has anyone had any experience with it as yet? Thinking about running one for *BAD WORD DELETED!* and giggles tomorrow night.

Aedeeg
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Skyray- leave it on the shelf?

Post#2 » Aug 24 2017 12:44

If you have the marker light support it can be good. Once you fore off all the missiles, use it to charge in and tie up units. Are you running any devil fish or hammerhead? I think if you want to run seeker missiles they are better spammed than only taken on one skyway.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 24 2017 12:59

Well if you have problems with a particularly durable unit you really really want to nuke turn 1 you could give it a try but it will do only like 3-4 wounds a game and then is pretty much just an expensive Devilfish with less guns, no transport capacity but a markerlight.

Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 24 2017 01:26

It's BS starts at 3+ and can't be buffed. Whereas if you are taking longstrike and a couple of hammerheads, load them up with seeker missiles, keep them in Longstrike's bubble, get at least 2 markerlights on something and you have the same but more accurate.

Edit: Obviously they cost more, but after you've shot your seeker missiles you still have a useful unit.

Pottsey
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 24 2017 05:44

Morgrim wrote:So is the sky ray worth using in 8th? Has anyone had any experience with it as yet? Thinking about running one for *BAD WORD DELETED!* and giggles tomorrow night.

Seekers are great but the Skyway seems a waste of time. I would rather take 2 or 3 Piranhas with 4 or 6 seekers then a Skyway. Even a Devilfish with 2 seekers seems better. Is 171pts really worth 4 extra seekers?

Last game I had 9 seekers for 45pts spread around my army. I couldn’t see the point in 171pts for a Skyray for 6 seekers.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Aug 24 2017 06:44

Longstrike + Hammerhead friends are the best source of Seeker missiles. That's how far the Sky Ray has fallen.
It's closer to 'Pit Ray' now

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 24 2017 08:51

Vector Strike wrote:Longstrike + Hammerhead friends are the best source of Seeker missiles. That's how far the Sky Ray has fallen.
It's closer to 'Pit Ray' now

Throw in the fact that it doesn't shoot down flyers in this edition and it's just a bag of trash.

Return to “Tau Tactics”