Flamers vs. Burst cannons

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Re: Flamers vs. Burst cannons

Post#19 » Sep 05 2017 09:10

Panzer wrote:People who think charging suits will cripple them seriously need to re-read 8th core rules and what it means to have the FLY mechanic lol

Especially when you have enough drones to tank multi-wound hits.

I won "Subjugator of Worlds" at NOVA this weekend with a heavy CRISIS/HAZARD suit list....the Manta helped as well. :P
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Sep 05 2017 11:25

Played Flamer Crisis with 8 Shield Drones last weekend again. Definitely the MVP of my army. They tanked so much and with multi charges with the Drones and the Crisis I kept 'stunning' half of the AdMech army for multiple turns without them being able to do any serious damage to them.
Best moment was when my opponent charged them with melee Katellans (fists and flamer) and killed a single shield drone. :D

Oh and for the record I decided to let them run up from my deployment zone just to see how far they'd make it. My opponent pretty much focussed my single HRR Broadside with Drone Controller 3 shield Drones (2 from the Commander), 2 Missile Drones and 4 Marker Drones for the first two turns with half of his army. Big guns still look scary enough even with BS4+ I guess. :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#21 » Sep 05 2017 07:02

Panzer wrote:Played Flamer Crisis with 8 Shield Drones last weekend again. Definitely the MVP of my army. They tanked so much and with multi charges with the Drones and the Crisis I kept 'stunning' half of the AdMech army for multiple turns without them being able to do any serious damage to them.
Best moment was when my opponent charged them with melee Katellans (fists and flamer) and killed a single shield drone. :D

Oh and for the record I decided to let them run up from my deployment zone just to see how far they'd make it. My opponent pretty much focussed my single HRR Broadside with Drone Controller 3 shield Drones (2 from the Commander), 2 Missile Drones and 4 Marker Drones for the first two turns with half of his army. Big guns still look scary enough even with BS4+ I guess. :D

I'm considering running one of these units too. Do you mind making a post or reply that describes how you used them in a little more detail?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Sep 06 2017 12:18

Arka0415 wrote:
Panzer wrote:Played Flamer Crisis with 8 Shield Drones last weekend again. Definitely the MVP of my army. They tanked so much and with multi charges with the Drones and the Crisis I kept 'stunning' half of the AdMech army for multiple turns without them being able to do any serious damage to them.

I'm considering running one of these units too. Do you mind making a post or reply that describes how you used them in a little more detail?

Well that's quickly done.
I played together with Tyranids (1000p each) against AdMech and on that flank was a unit of Genestealer with Broodlord and a Carnifex so I let him have the Skitarii Infantry instead.
He unfortunately screwed up a 5" charge despite the re-roll and got obliterated but still managed to kill the one unit of Skitarii infantry with his last 3 Genestealer and a Tyranid Warrior.

Other units on that flank were two melee Kastellans, two Lascannon chicken walker, a Techpriest, a Onager and a Datasmith.
The Kastellans split shots with their flamer between the previously mentioned Genestealer and the Crisis (got one Crisis down to 1 wound) and then charged the Crisis where they killed a single Shield Drone and my Crisis took one of their wounds (note: Almost every melee I was in that game was basically a draw since I always managed to take at least one wound as well :D ). My Coldstar did a heroic intervention but of course didn't do anything there.
Next my Crisis fell back forwards over the Kastellans, my Coldstar followed. The shield Drones attacked the Kastellans to soak up overwatch (two died) for the Broodlord and Carnifex.
Then my Crisis, Coldstar and Shield Drones proceeded to charge Onager, chicken Walker, Techpriest and Datasmith the next two turns so he could always only use half or less of those in his shooting phase. Especially fun because he needed his Datasmith on the other side of the board for his other Kastellans to fulfill the objective where all his units needed to leave his deployment zone (he made them shoot twice but can't move earlier). :D

So not many good targets for the Flamer on that side (though I managed to kill a chicken walker, take two wounds from the Techpriest and killed the remaining two or three Vanguards with the 4 remaining flamer....I tried out 2 flamer + ATS combo which was okayish against the Techpriest and Kastellans 2+ save).

Return to “Tau Tactics”