Is Commander Farsight worth taking?

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Morgrim
Shas'Saal

Is Commander Farsight worth taking?

Post#1 » Aug 27 2017 11:51

So in a competitive (not ultra competitive though) army can Farsight be used? I'm thinking about a suit heavy army and i thought it might be fun for Farsight to lead it. Is he really bad or good for a bit of fun and can do stuff?
Mainly plan on playing against mates but i want to still have a chance of winning its just not as important but no one likes to lose all the time!

Pottsey
Shas'Saal

Re: Is Commander Farsight worth taking?

Post#2 » Aug 28 2017 04:11

He doesn't seem that good to me, I would rather have a 3 weapon, ATS commander then Farsight. More ranged firepower and still ok at CC.

thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 28 2017 06:46

I think it really depends on what you will be fighting against, if you are going to come up against a lot of armies with support characters rather than super killy combat monsters then sure he can be worth taking.

Your standard commander may be better with multiple guns, however if you are already spamming them anyway changing one to Farsight probably won't make your list much worse and give you a bit more basic CC options, if you are only running 1-2 commanders then I would advise against Farsight.

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Sep 15 2017 04:39

thesnailmaster wrote:I think it really depends on what you will be fighting against, if you are going to come up against a lot of armies with support characters rather than super killy combat monsters then sure he can be worth taking.

Your standard commander may be better with multiple guns, however if you are already spamming them anyway changing one to Farsight probably won't make your list much worse and give you a bit more basic CC options, if you are only running 1-2 commanders then I would advise against Farsight.

I agree with this. The standard commander is pretty good in shooting, and slightly less good in melee. I've adopted a strategy of using a 3x cyclic ion blaster + 1x Target Lock suit against a swarmlord, and baiting the bug across the board (stepping back in the movement phase and using the TL to avoid penalty, then firing off all the other weapons at the 'nid in the shoting phase, and then moving in to engage in melee (which surprisingly is not suicide: i haven't lost a commander yet doing that (but it's pretty much bound to happen at some point playing tau))).

So yeah, farsight is a good additon when using other commanders. I would day 3-4 others, just to be safe ('case that dinky little plasma rifel isn't much good in 8th)
Igne vir renovatur integra

ghostancisco
Shas

Post#5 » Sep 22 2017 04:03

thesnailmaster wrote:I think it really depends on what you will be fighting against, if you are going to come up against a lot of armies with support characters rather than super killy combat monsters then sure he can be worth taking.

This is it. You can't risk the combat if they have something that's gonna eat you in a turn but against standard troops or noncombat guys, he could be an awesome hit and run guy. This will change depending on who you play.

His main problem is that he only has 3 hardpoints. Obviously his main draw is double kauyon. Id give it a shot if youre doing a big crisis drop.I

Edit:spelling
Last edited by ghostancisco on Sep 22 2017 08:08, edited 2 times in total.
For the Gooder Great!

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Sep 22 2017 06:45

I've used him in almost all my games of 8th, and while I believe this is the first time he's been playable, he is far from good.

A regular commander is way better. The problem with him is his damage output is low. Sure he will hit with all four of his close combat attacks, but wounding anything with t5 or better is a challenge. So you end up charging things that a regular commander would have shot to death without needing to charge.

I love my conversion model, and will continue to use him, but my points would be better spent elsewhere.

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Sep 23 2017 06:44

ghostancisco wrote:

This is it. You can't risk the combat if they have something that's gonna eat you in a turn but against standard troops or noncombat guys, he could be an awesome hit and run guy. This will change depending on who you play.

His main problem is that he only has 3 hardpoints. Obviously his main draw is double kauyon. Id give it a shot if youre doing a big crisis drop.I

It's actually double mont'ka. Kayoun is shadowsun's thing.

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Sep 23 2017 06:48

ghostancisco wrote:

He also doesn't get anything but his shield generator, plasma rifle and dawn blade. Since he can't alter his loadout, there isn't a problem with the 3 hardpoints. Crisis suits have this problem too, with the exception being the XV-84 Enforcer

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Sep 23 2017 06:58

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:
ghostancisco wrote:

He also doesn't get anything but his shield generator, plasma rifle and dawn blade. Since he can't alter his loadout, there isn't a problem with the 3 hardpoints. Crisis suits have this problem too, with the exception being the XV-84 Enforcer

I think that's what he meant. Shield Gen + Plasma Rifle + Dawn Blade = three things, not four like other Commanders would have. Means the Dawnblade costs two hardpoints while not really being worth two hardpoints.

ghostancisco
Shas

Post#10 » Sep 23 2017 02:14

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:
ghostancisco wrote:

That's right. Thank you. If you take both shadowing and farsight, can you possibly use that buff a total of 3 times?

I wrote a superfriends list with both and I'm wondering if you get the original and another use from both?
For the Gooder Great!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Sep 23 2017 02:37

ghostancisco wrote:
Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:
ghostancisco wrote:This is it. You can't risk the combat if they have something that's gonna eat you in a turn but against standard troops or noncombat guys, he could be an awesome hit and run guy. This will change depending on who you play.

That's right. Thank you. If you take both shadowing and farsight, can you possibly use that buff a total of 3 times?

I wrote a superfriends list with both and I'm wondering if you get the original and another use from both?

No you can use it only once no matter how many commander you have. Then Farsight adds one extra use of Mont'Ka and Shadowsun adds one extra use of Kauyon.
So either 2x Mont'Ka + 1x Kauyon or 1x Mont'Ka + 2x Kauyon but not 3x Mont'Ka or 3x Kauyon.

ghostancisco
Shas

Post#12 » Sep 23 2017 03:20

Panzer wrote:
ghostancisco wrote:
Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:

No you can use it only once no matter how many commander you have. Then Farsight adds one extra use of Mont'Ka and Shadowsun adds one extra use of Kauyon.
So either 2x Mont'Ka + 1x Kauyon or 1x Mont'Ka + 2x Kauyon but not 3x Mont'Ka or 3x Kauyon.

Sweet, thats what I ment 2+1 of either.
For the Gooder Great!

Return to “Tau Tactics”