Tournament coming up with different/weird win cons

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Froglift
Shas'Saal

Tournament coming up with different/weird win cons

Post#1 » Aug 28 2017 04:52

So a tournament is coming up at my lgs that will last 6 games at various points with these win cons:
1 Victory Point category
First Blood – be the first to destroy one whole unit
Tank Hunter – Destroy a non-walker vehicle
Death From Above – Deep strike and kill at least one enemy model in close combat without suffering casualties
King of the Hill – Control the Hill Top for the entire game
Capture the Flag – Take the Flag marker from the center of the table and maintain control until your unit is able to leave the table from your deployment zone.
2 Victory Point category
Kill the Warlord – Kill your opponent’s designated Warlord by Turn 3
Carry the Fight – Consolidate within 1 inch of an enemy unit
Allies of Convenience – Win a game with an ally
Duel Master – Kill an enemy character with another character
Objective Secured – Win 2 objective based games in a row
3 Victory Point category
Expert Commander – Win a game without using Victory Points (maybe they mean command points?)
Master of the Masses – Win a game with no vehicles in your army list
Master of the Machines- Win a game with no infantry in your army list
Winning Streak – Win 3 games in a row in the same round
The Smiter – Kill a character using only the Smite power

What do you guys think would be some effective units/tactics that I should use to accomplish as many of these as I can?

I'm thinking Master of the Masses and Master of the Machines will be pretty easy if I just run mass suits.
Obviously The Smiter is never happening unless I bring an ally which will also trigger Allies of Convenience.

That's all the info they gave for win cons. The tournament will be 1 game of 300,500,1000,1500,2000, and 2500 each so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
We are men of action, lies do not become us.

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Re: Tournament coming up with different/weird win cons

Post#2 » Aug 28 2017 05:17

These victory point conditions seem incredibly warping; they will punish and reward lists very arbitrarily.

But yeah, I agree with you. I'd go with a mix of the following up to your point requirement.

Warlord: Coldstar; SG, ATS

Then: Commanders w 2 Marker Drones and either 4 FB or 4 CIB (At least 1, ideally 2 of each)

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 28 2017 05:44

I don't think they are giving enough info. It is just a casual tournament I guess? Not exactly sure. Something to get the new players, like me, to get out and play. From questions I've asked on the FB page for clarification it looks like it was put together kinda poorly but hey, take what you can.

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 28 2017 08:06

I think forgeworld has a wraithlird psycher you can take for your smite and allies objectives.

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 28 2017 09:38

Under these rules is there any reason to not spam Commander units the entire time? I think that would let me win but I would gain few friends. I would become "That Guy". Maybe I should make a sub-par list that has a good mix of units.

Return to “Tau Tactics”