Krootox Rider

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
joc-wi
Shas

Krootox Rider

Post#1 » Aug 29 2017 01:06

Good evening, everybody.
I am working on a small count-as Tau army. Story-wise they should be Gue'vesa, and I try combining a few nice-looking Models. I am thinking about integrating a modified Ogryn-model too, using the rules of a Krootox Rider.

Now, the Krootox Rider has been a rather obscure choice for quite some time (as far as I know. I missed some editions :D )
So I have no Idea how I would use it, in what role I would use it, how I would have to complement it.

Does anybody have a bit of battlefield-experience fielding one (or more) Krootox Riders? Anything to be aware of? Any great combinations? Any nice experiences?

I would be glad for all kind of input!

Nooch'un
Shas'Saal

Re: Krootox Rider

Post#2 » Aug 29 2017 10:23

It's been a few editions for me however I had absolute trouble with them, damage wise at distance wasent much, however had a few instances of crisis suits getting pegged. But on a charge with hounds and Kroot and a shaper in there they destroyed any infantry I had, they soak up spray shots and have a punch in close. They in my opinion need support from a pack however once singled out they aren't horribly effective. They also model wise used to look pretty fantastic so, I personally think the Kroot are awesome and that big one is all they need in the size department to make a pack destructive.
https://imgur.com/user/SpiltNooch
(Elsy'eir Sept Honour Division) [WIP]

Pottsey
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 30 2017 01:59

joc-wi wrote:Good evening, everybody.
I am working on a small count-as Tau army. Story-wise they should be Gue'vesa, and I try combining a few nice-looking Models. I am thinking about integrating a modified Ogryn-model too, using the rules of a Krootox Rider.

Now, the Krootox Rider has been a rather obscure choice for quite some time (as far as I know. I missed some editions :D )
So I have no Idea how I would use it, in what role I would use it, how I would have to complement it.

Does anybody have a bit of battlefield-experience fielding one (or more) Krootox Riders? Anything to be aware of? Any great combinations? Any nice experiences?

I would be glad for all kind of input!

Have at least 3 and a shaper which means they wound T6 and less on a 3+ and reoll 1’s. They are very good when shooting at something with markers on it. The problem is they die fast to certain heavy weapons. The way I view Krootox are cheap missile pods. Effectively missilepod Crisis suits without fly or the Armor for a lot less pts.

Krootox backed up with a shaper seem good against Orks and Nids but not had much look against marines. If you have the slots consider taking them in units of 1.

joc-wi
Shas

Post#4 » Aug 30 2017 11:31

They are very good when shooting at something with markers on it.

Oh, I did not notice that: they can use marker lights now :)

If you have the slots consider taking them in units of 1.

This will be a small army, so there will be no problem with the slots. Also there is just _one_ Ogryn-Model that I really love - so I might even keep it at one unit of 1... if this thread does not convince me otherwise.
But even a single model might actually be a huge influence on the "army" - since it might consist only of a few breachers and a piranha for quite some time...

Return to “Tau Tactics”