Planet Strike

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Planet Strike

Post#1 » Aug 30 2017 09:35

I am playing two games of planet strike against imperials soon. One attack, one defence. What are people's thoughts? I expect it to be roughly 2k games.

For Attack I was thinking Fusion Commander Spam with crisis suit flamers and maybe some hounds.

For Defence I was thinking Stormsurge with interceptor.

What do people think would be effective?

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Re: Planet Strike

Post#2 » Aug 30 2017 10:03

Don't forget that anything with the Infantry or Fly keywords can deep strike at 6 inches in a Planetstrike games as the attacker.

Think about this for a moment. 6 inch deepstriking Breachers. 6 inch deepstriking Ghostkeels. Basically everything we have on our list has a 6 inch deepstrike. So basically anything that has a very close optimal range becomes epicly useful.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 30 2017 11:29

Deepstriking Fireblade and drones with crisis flamers seem like the optimal choice on attack. Breachers are good even at 5-10 still because they are heavy bolters with one less attack which is still really solid. And yes, DEFINITELY Stormsurge with EWO either way.

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 31 2017 12:34

I've come up with a 1750 defence list which I think looks like a lot of fun. It'll be going up against 2k of Imperial guard and possibly a few Sisters.

Brigade Detachment

HQ
Cadre Fireblade
Shadowsun
Ethereal
Longstrike

Troops
Strike team: 1 x Shas'ui, 4 x Fire warriors, Guardian Drone
Strike team: 1 x Shas'ui, 4 x Fire warriors

Elites
XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit: Cyclic Ion Raker, 2 x Burst Cannons, EWO, ATS
XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit: Cyclic Ion Raker, 2 x Burst Cannons, EWO, ATS
DX-4 Technical Drones (2)
DX-4 Technical Drones (2)

Fast Attack
Pathfinder Team: Shas'ui, 4 x Pathdinders, MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone
Kroot Hounds (4)
Kroot Hounds (4)

Heavy Support
TX7 Hammerhead Gunship: Railgun, 2 x drones
TX7 Hammerhead Gunship: Railgun, 2 x drones
XV88 Broadside: Shas'vre, 2 x HYMP, 2 x SMS, EWO

Total: 1749
CP: 12

Strategy:
The characters sit inside a large bastion in the middle for the firestorm before emerging to grant bubble buffs. Deploy 1 ghostkeel on opposite sides of the bastion, 2 hammerheads on each other side with longstrike and the broadside on top. Fire warriors behind barricades on the sides. Technical drones with the Ghost keels. Do everything possible to get as many units as possible inside the various 6" bubble buffs.

Reasoning:
I am expecting a hell of a lot of infantry squads dropping in with plasma guns all around me. The idea behind this is just massive area denial with shadowsun giving everything reroll to hit for 2 turns, the ethereal everyone FNP 6+. The hammerheads are to deal with the vehicles. It's also just quite a fun list; I have never taken a brigade detachment (hell I have never taken a battalion detachment) so I thought this would be a fun way to do it. Lastly, 12 CP will take the sting out of RnG.

Thoughts?

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Aug 31 2017 09:41

QimRas wrote:Don't forget that anything with the Infantry or Fly keywords can deep strike at 6 inches in a Planetstrike games as the attacker.

Think about this for a moment. 6 inch deepstriking Breachers. 6 inch deepstriking Ghostkeels. Basically everything we have on our list has a 6 inch deepstrike. So basically anything that has a very close optimal range becomes epicly useful.

I may have to play some Plantestrike just to get some juicy breacher action going. Love those guys.

Return to “Tau Tactics”