XV109 Y'vahra (any feedback?)

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Re: XV109 Y'vahra (any feedback?)

Post#37 » Oct 25 2017 06:55

So has the community reached a consensus on whether a nova charged y'vraha can use both boosted weapon profiles or not? Raw it's pretty unclear.

turtlesoup
Shas

Post#38 » Oct 25 2017 08:47

Yes, Nova both weapons. Nova one weapon for a 400+ model does not make any sense whatsoever.

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#39 » Oct 25 2017 01:10

What are the priority targets for an Y'vahra? I'm about to get one and while I can clearly see the potential of its weapons, can you guys tell me what it works on and more importantly, what it didn't work on, and why?

Thanks

GND
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#40 » Oct 26 2017 02:44

Elite infantry, vehicles (flyers especially - autohits that deal 3 damage are nasty). Probably even thinning out hordes with the 3D6 flamer, but haven't fielded it against a horde army.

In general, it kills stuff. The issue is keeping it alive long enough for it to make its points back. It is very much a fire magnet and you should aim to trade it effectively rather than hope it will survive past turn 2.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#41 » Oct 26 2017 05:59

Haechi wrote:What are the priority targets for an Y'vahra? I'm about to get one and while I can clearly see the potential of its weapons, can you guys tell me what it works on and more importantly, what it didn't work on, and why?

Thanks

The Y'vahra is a shotgun that is designed to kill squads of W2/W3 units, or vehicles. Point it at a target where it can make full use of it's high-damage-characteristic guns. It has flamer-type weapons, but don't be fooled into thinking it's anti-infantry. Rather, it's designed to rapidly engage and destroy high-value targets: the toughest heavy infantry, monsters, vehicles, and big characters.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#42 » Oct 26 2017 06:05

Or short: it's an anti-Primaris (former anti-terminator) unit. :P

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#43 » Oct 26 2017 06:46

Panzer wrote:Or short: it's an anti-Primaris (former anti-terminator) unit. :P

Though when the Y'vahra is slaying Centurions with greater efficiency than when it kills Primaris Marines, that's something. If you find a T5/W3 model with no Invulnerable save, that's the Y'vahra's true prey. Centurions, XV8s, and Tyranid Warriors are all wonderful targets.

Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Post#44 » Oct 26 2017 05:38

Mine has just arrived :biggrin:

Any tips on putting it together? Would you recommend magnetising the waist?

Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

Post#45 » Oct 26 2017 06:01

I magnetized both shoulder joints as well as the fragile fins she has near the top. I also had to use some green-stuff to smooth her out a bit when assembling given the resin was a little contorted. Mostly in the middle back area where the top half thrusters meet the bottom half.

I didnt feel the need to magnetize the waist or anything, but could see it useful depending on how you plan to transport her.

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#46 » Nov 06 2017 11:30

Alright guys, I'm going to field an Y'vahra in a very competitive tournament. My question is: How do I protect her for the first turn? How big of a drone cloud do I have to build around her?

GND
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#47 » Nov 06 2017 12:39

I place 4-6 Shield Drones next to it out of LOS. Pathfinders or Coldstars are usually the ones that take the drones. Pathfinders can Vanguard away afterwards, and Coldstars can zip away wherever they want with their ridiculous movement. But I don't play against optimized tournament lists, so the amount of drones should depend on your local meta. The Y'vahras special drones are not worth it imo.

I don't think you'll need a screening unit for 1st turn assaults as I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) there isn't a single unit that can pull of a first turn charge and actually wants to charge an Y'vahra.

Once it moves out, it's joined by Manta Striking drones and then it's up to the dice gods how long it survives :smile:

Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

Post#48 » Nov 06 2017 03:46

GND wrote:I place 4-6 Shield Drones next to it out of LOS...

I agree. 4+ shields feels like enough. I have run just 2 drones in the past and while she hasnt been alpha-striked completely (it has been very close and down to single dice rolls). Obviously this is 100% opponent dependent, but if you have 4 shield drones that are ideally out of LoS I would be very surprised if a list could take her down turn 1. And even if they did they would be focusing everything they got into her which sometimes is a nice distraction assuming you have other hard hitters.

By my experience the Yvahra will not last all game so don't count on her to. Give her some drone help and position her so you know you will get turns 1-2 against juicy targets. And then just pray you don't get triple ones on the flamer...

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#49 » Nov 06 2017 04:08

GND wrote:I place 4-6 Shield Drones next to it out of LOS. Pathfinders or Coldstars are usually the ones that take the drones. Pathfinders can Vanguard away afterwards, and Coldstars can zip away wherever they want with their ridiculous movement. But I don't play against optimized tournament lists, so the amount of drones should depend on your local meta. The Y'vahras special drones are not worth it imo.

I don't think you'll need a screening unit for 1st turn assaults as I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) there isn't a single unit that can pull of a first turn charge and actually wants to charge an Y'vahra.

Once it moves out, it's joined by Manta Striking drones and then it's up to the dice gods how long it survives :smile:

There are actually plenty units that can pull off a first turn charge.
Heldrakes, Coldstars, almost any unit that gets Warptime cast on, all units that come out of reserves (28% chance without re-roll 40-50% with re-rolls) and infiltrators for example. ^^

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#50 » Nov 06 2017 06:57

I think he meant units that will have the balls to charge her ^^

GND
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#51 » Nov 07 2017 03:22

Yes, what Haechi said :D

Also, units that would actually do some damage after surviving overwatch, as tying it up is pointless. But I remembered Warptime and primarchs in the meantime, and that answers my question.

OFF-TOPIC: Why do people refer to the Y'vahra as a 'she'?

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#52 » Nov 07 2017 06:22

GND wrote:Yes, what Haechi said :D

Also, units that would actually do some damage after surviving overwatch, as tying it up is pointless. But I remembered Warptime and primarchs in the meantime, and that answers my question.

It's a general military consensus to call tanks, planes, and ships a "she". In the case of the Y'vahra, I find the name pretty feminine so it comes naturally.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#53 » Nov 07 2017 06:46

GND wrote:OFF-TOPIC: Why do people refer to the Y'vahra as a 'she'?

This varies by language, some languages assign a sex to every noun(note that most also have neutral category) regardless of if it could or could not actually reproduce sexually(ie. in czech, a chair is a "she"), and ending with an "a" is more often than not used with feminine names. English is probably one of the most sex-neutral languages, but it still has the remnants of this, especially when combined with human brain pattern recognition seeing an unknown word.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#54 » Nov 07 2017 08:01

Haechi wrote:
GND wrote:Yes, what Haechi said :D

It's a general military consensus to call tanks, planes, and ships a "she". In the case of the Y'vahra, I find the name pretty feminine so it comes naturally.

In English it's very unnatural to ascribe gender to inanimate objects, but ships (and by extension really any large moving objects) are the big exception- they take the word "she" as a term of endearment. It's a bit cold and uncaring to refer to ships as "it", I feel. Though, it's also a word that implies uniqueness, so calling a run-of-the-mill XV8 "she" feels a little out of place.

Return to “Tau Tactics”