Stealth suit unit size-3 or 6?

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Morgrim
Shas'Saal

Stealth suit unit size-3 or 6?

Post#1 » Sep 07 2017 03:33

What is the best way to configure a stealth team? Three or six suits? Best drones to take with them?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: Stealth suit unit size-3 or 6?

Post#2 » Sep 07 2017 07:45

It depends on what you're using the stealths for. What role are they trying to fill in your army?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 07 2017 08:26

Haven't played them in unit size of 6 so far if I had enough elite slots.
A unit of 3 with a Fusion Blaster+Shield Gen or Drone Controller and 2 Burst Cannons+ATS worked pretty well so far. Homing Beacon depends on whether you have Flamer Crisis or Quad Fusion Commander. Drones depending on what you need. I love Shield Drones but with a Drone Controller Gun or Marker Drones work well too.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Sep 07 2017 08:52

I have used them in many games so far. They are a critical part of my list. The common and accurate answer to your question is...it depends.

Are you using them for fire support? or are you using them to deliver units from Manta Reserve?

They are pretty durable on their own, but do not put out a remarkable amount of firepower; however, they are one of the extremely few units in the entire game that allows for a <9" deepstrike. My normal configuration using 3 teams is this:

2x Shas'ui, 1 Shas'vre w/ Drone Controller with either 2x Shield Drones or 2x Gun Drones and a homing beacon

I don't upgrade to a fusion blaster due to the poor BS, and I very rarely give them any wargear other than the DC (always a must for my style of play to support the massive drone cohorts that will be coming in with my CRISIS or HAZARD teams)

IMHO putting ATS on them is not quite worth the points since they have standard T'au BS and only 4 shots.

In very large games with little complete LoS blocking terrain, I have thrown Shield Generators on them or increased their squad size. If you thought killing them was hard before...I've seen 3000pts of guard armor try to take out a squad of 6 with Shield Generators and Shield Drones and fail. In smaller games (sub 2500 really) that may be too costly of a unit for the homing beacon trick...especially if you plan to deliver more than one unit <8" from the enemy.

I've also run Shadowsun as a distraction to bait the enemy into focusing on her first turn instead of the Stealth suits. It worked pretty well with her soaking up as many wounds as she could before passing them on to other drones, then finally the stealth suits. At the end of a full round of shooting, Shadowsun had 2 wounds left, each drone team that comes with the stealth teams had lost a single drone and a model from each 3-man squad had a single wound. I was pretty happy with myself, and my opponent was ready to throw in the towel right there. He didn't because he was a good sport, but he knew the game was over.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Wakshaani
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Sep 07 2017 02:26

I'm still a rookie Fire Warrior, but for me, I use a unit of three with Burst Cannons, no upgrades, and let fly. Under a hundred points, it takes up an Elite slot moving me closer to a bigger Detachment, and are just hard enough to be an annoyance while being just threatening enough to not be left behind. Parked in cover, you get a 6-wound unit that is -1 to-be hit, so you don't want to fire big guns, but who have a 2+ save, so they shrug off small guns, and a smaller unit doesn't worry about morale.

taking two, three, or more of these little groups can just wear someone out trying to deal with them and, if they don't, the high mobility of them allows you to snag objectives as well.

Just really, really darn handy.

bansh
Shas

Post#6 » Sep 07 2017 08:34

As above, it really depends on what you want from them..just beacon delivery...area denial....anti troop...obj grabbers.....a couple of these together?

I run 6 with a beacon.... i don't really worry about drones for them, i save them for the suits that drop in nearby. If i have any points to spare after putting in what i want, these guys normally get first dibs on upgrades. I have taken 1 with a sheild gen...and throw all wounds on him, lucky rolls can really frustrate your opponent and drone controller is viable too as you don't have to take up a weapon slot on an xv8

AleksandrGRC
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Sep 07 2017 10:26

When using the homing beacon do you advance first? Or just normal movement and if so does anyone feel its worthwhile using shadowsun to montka and possibly using a CP to get them manta strikers as deep in there as possible. Ive found that i want within 9" but as much as i thought i wanted to get right in there its often not the best choice.

bansh
Shas

Post#8 » Sep 08 2017 12:37

This is the jedi play, you either do, or do not, there is no try.
Theres no point setting up for a less8inch drop for no real reason....youve gotta go ballsout for this to work

This is what i do
6xv25s supported by a ionkeel with flamers
They do what they need to, to be in the area i want the mantastrike to happen.
Down come my xv8s.....3 with 3 flamers, 3 with 3 fusion and 6 market drones all in one squad. coldstar bounds across the table for support, and my ion/fusionmander drops in where he can outside of 9 inches, but still in range.

Fusion pops vehicles, flamers and burst hit troops and then i charge into the remnants....it is brutal, and doesnt work all the time, but hey what does

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Sep 08 2017 04:06

I usually use a combo of 6 XV25 (2xFusion, 4xBurst) + 2 Shield drones and homing beacon and Shadowsun with MV52 and MV 62.

I always use the infiltrator ability to field them near objectives. Depending how my opponent deployed I try to go near to use the homing beacon or stay on place and wait for a right time to move and attack. Shadowsun makes some great damage, while XV25 providing support and additional damage. Really great unit that is usually partly ignored by my opponents because they are always first trying to kill Commander, Riptide or Longstrike. A must have for all my battles and really fun to play.

Once I deployed a team of 3 with homing beacon. My opponent deepstriked a Terminator squad and by pure luck one XV25 survived because of his bad positioning in close combat so he could deliver the homing beacon for a 3 XV8 flamer team. Sadly with 37 shots the Crisis killed just one Marine from a tactical squad. Haha

Mon'von
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Sep 11 2017 05:26

I like the idea of 3 XV25 1 w/DC and 1 XV95, mix of marker, shield and stealth drones and you've got a pretty deadly squad/formation that's difficult to hit and kill. The stealths can shield your Ghost from anything that wants to charge and with FTGG you're pretty much going to make most opponents think twice about charging you, you're also going to keep your Ghost outside of that 12" zone meaning she's almost always a -1/2 to hit. Drop that bacon pray to the dice gods and that flank is yours (at least you'd hope so anyway).
"Wyrd bið ful aræd" Fate remains inexorable

Return to “Tau Tactics”