Devilfish in 8th

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
sultansean
Shas'Saal

Devilfish in 8th

Post#1 » Sep 07 2017 01:07

New to Tau and I really like the look of all the vehicles on the Tx7 Chassis. I would really like to run a mechanized Tau army with Infantry in transports and Hammerheads.

My question is are Devilfish worth taking?

In my mind they have 2 main purposes.

1. Transporting Infantry and Drones.

They are a fairly hardy platform for protecting the units inside of them with a decent move. Fish filled with drones seems to be a popular internet tactic. How about other infantry units? They seems to work ok with Pathfinders and Breaches. Does it make sense to put Firewarriors in them?

2. Interference

They seem like a great unit for getting in the way of the opponent. Fairly tough and fast but also big models, I can see them being used for filling up choke points on the board.

More importantly I can seem being used to charge units locking them in combat. This tactic can be particularly effective against enemy vehicles like Land Raiders which are then unable to shoot the next turn. The enemy will be forced to fall back and if they are unable to kill the fish with other shooting you can just shoot and then charge again the next turn. If you get in combat with a unit you don't want to be thanks to fly you are still able to disengage and shoot.

3. Other Benefits
The Burst Cannon provides a small amount of extra shooting, and the two attached Drones can be useful.

On the downside for about 50 points more than a Rhino they seem to be over-coasted comparatively

I would love to hear what more experience Tau Generals have to say about the Devilfish.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: Devilfish in 8th

Post#2 » Sep 07 2017 01:16

The fish is great for transporting breachers, drones, and pathfinders. Transporting Strike teams seems to be a distant 4th option as they don't typically need the fish to get closer to their shooting target. As with most Tau units, we carry a bigger pricetag for having the FLY special rule since it enables us to disengage and still fire in most cases, the fish being no different.

Yes it is more than a rhino, but it carries more guys and it also comes with two drones so it carries a bonus two guys which can detach and give cover to the unit coming out of the transport for extra added durability to the unit.

It's a very good unit but I doubt you'll see more than two on the field as we likely won't take multiple units who need to crash the front lines as hard as breachers or drones. Luckily, Hammerheads share the same chassis so picking up several boxes won't leave you without good options to take.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Sep 07 2017 01:47

Oh yeah Devilfish are definitely worth it with the right unit to transport. Put some Breacher or Gun Drones with Fireblade support in it and enjoy!

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Sep 07 2017 09:24

Panzer wrote:Gun Drones with Fireblade support in it and enjoy!

This.

Especially zooming up to add more ablative wounds to the crisis suits you just manta'd in.

relasine
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Sep 07 2017 10:25

I really want to run this module:

Ethereal (Warlord, +1 Leadership)
Cadre Fireblade
Tactical Drones - Gun Drone x11
Tactical Drones - Gun Drone x11
Hazard Team - 1x Hazard Suit, DC, 4x Gun Drones
Devilfish
Devilfish

So. Many. Shots. Add in a Commander to pop Montka to really get your business upfield.

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#6 » Sep 08 2017 06:05

One of the best players in the U.S. runs a Devilfish loaded down with drones and a fireblade. Most players seem to agree that one or two is your maximum for a decently competitive list, any any other chassis you have in your list are going to be Hammerheads led by Longstrike.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Sep 08 2017 08:54

What's the point level minimum where the 'fish is worth it though? I play a lot of smaller games ( =/< 1000) and have a hard time dropping 10%-20% of my points on it. I keep trying to build lists with one then panic and trade it for 4 stealth suits :D

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Sep 08 2017 08:59

Minimum points I've played in 8th so far was 750p but there it was okay. Quite unfortunate that I was playing against Deathwatch with loads of power weapons and whatnot so the usual charge one turn and disembark Breacher second turn didn't work but eh not every matchup can be favorable. I still won anyway because my Rail Rifle Pathfinder obliterated the same unit later on. :P

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Sep 08 2017 09:35

I used one in a 500 point game to great effect so I don't really think there is a hard line where you don't use it. With that being said, I don't think you take 2 in games under 1250 though. And taking them in lower point games REALLY depend on your list comp and how you are playing. Do you need breachers or drones in someone's face immediately? If yes, take one. Do you have units that compliment those fast crashing units in the fish? If no, don't take one. Build the list around some synergy and what you want to accomplish and if it aligns that you need a fish with some nasties in it then go for it.

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Sep 08 2017 12:33

I really like the concept of the aggressive fish.

Roll up, shoot a lot of dakka, charge the enemy, tie them up for a turn.

Next turn, your Breachers disembark, the fish falls back to a position that sheilds your Breachers from return fire, and your Breachers shoot the ever loving gak out of the target from 4.9 inches away.

Rinse and repeat.

Return to “Tau Tactics”