Tau and The Mortal Wound

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
ULIEL
Shas

Tau and The Mortal Wound

Post#1 » Sep 10 2017 09:37

Hello my fellow commanders

I was watching a game at my local gaming club of AM Vs SM, and then another with Thousand Sons Vs Orks. The thing that leapt out at me the sheer number and effectiveness of mortal wounds when used in high volume. AM of course had a ton of Psykers and Thousand Sons obviously had Magnus. This got me thinking on Tau and our capacity to also dish out mortal wounds and whether or not a viable list could be produced and this is what i was hoping to open a discussion on.

We Tau do have many weapons that have the potential to deal mortal wounds. All the rail weapons, seeker misfiled, destroyer missiles and pulse bombs. The first hurdle being our BS we can of course improve with marker lights, the second and far more difficult is rail based weapons and rolling the 6. Pulse bombs, seekers and destroyers on the other hand merely need to hit. Since the arrival of 8th the Sky Ray has pretty much vanished from the tabletop but perhaps it just needs to be used in a different way?

I knocked together this rough list and would appreciate feedback gents as to whether or not it is viable.

Commander 4x Fusion
Etheral
Etheral

Kroot x10
Kroot x10
Kroot x10
Fire Warrior x4 + Shas'Ui Markerlight

Marksmen
Marksmen
Marksmen

Pathfinders x5, 3x Rail Rifles
Tactical Drones x6
Tactical Drones x7
Tactical Drones x6

Skyray
Skyray
Skyray

Sunshark
Sunshark

This all clocks in 1993pts and allows for a Brigade formation to be taken giving +9 CP's. If you get first turn the potential for 18 mortal from Skyrays, 24 mortal from Sunsharks, and 6 from Pathfinders also with 20 marker lights. I realise situational and very dependant on rolls.

Thoughts?

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Re: Tau and The Mortal Wound

Post#2 » Sep 10 2017 11:13

I like the idea and it should work vs infantry/elite heavy armies.

The only time I could see this falling flat is when faces with vehicles.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 11 2017 11:54

Mortal wounds are awesome, but we have to pay waaaaay more points than most other armies to get them. I think you'll find that at least with the Skyrays, from an efficiency analysis, you are just as likely to get a wound from larger volume of fire through purchasing high shot output models than from the mortal wounds from the seeker missile (especially factored over multiple rounds). Also, Skyrays are darn near impotent after their seekers are gone when considering their points cost. On average you will get 13 hits with 5 markerlights which isn't even enough to fell a Landraider. If you do get lucky enough to get all of them through, congrats....you just used 600 points to kill 300 points. This is also taking into account that you gained first turn and the enemy has not had a chance to either kill your skyrays or kill your markerlights...

Outside of the Skyray and especially if you have already planned to invest in a sure means of 5 markerlight hits on a target then the efficiency model shifts a bit when you are talking about additional mortal wounds (rails) or cheap add on single shot mortal wounds (seekers and destroyers). BUT....the units that can take seekers or that deal additional wounds are already heavily overpriced to begin with for the most part.

Rail Rifles - extremely overpriced for a BS4+ S6 (wounding most vehicles on 5+) weapon when compared to similar weapons in BS3+ armies
HRR Broadsides - no explanation needed here...I think we all know they are priced out of usefulness
Hammerheads - looks good on paper, but it's a lot of points for something that only does mediocre damage on its own and rarely ever gets off a mortal wound (can take seekers for a bit more firepower for minimal cost increase...not bad with Longstrike support, but then you'll need to build your army around protecting your hammerheads)

Devilfish and Piranhas suffer the same points overcosting per usefulness dilemma on their own, which makes them a bit toothless after they have let go of their seekers.

Best sources of Mortal Wounds

Longstrike - good points efficiency, good buffs, good source of marginally reliable mortal wounds
Sunshark - high mortal wound output against certain targets
Stormsurge - High damage output already and still extremely potent once its destroyers are gone
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Sep 11 2017 06:38

Mortal Wounds are awesome, but we Tau just don't get a reliable source of them. It's not a good state of affairs, but that's just how it is. Just because something is good, doesn't mean that it's good for every army. For example, spamming 2+ saves is also a great strategy, but the Tau version of that (Broadsides) isn't good either.

Mortal Wounds are a cool mechanic and I hope we get more of them in our Codex; however, for the time being, I just don't think we have a cost-effective and reliable source of them.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Sep 11 2017 11:27

Just wait for the Codex. So far they are doing a good job to giving armies access to Mortal wounds but I also think that not every army is supposed to spam Mortal wounds anyway. For Death Guard it's their theme but I doubt TSons will have as easily access to it for example.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Sep 12 2017 06:06

Panzer wrote:For Death Guard it's their theme but I doubt TSons will have as easily access to it for example.

I bet Thousand Sons can output an unbelievable amount of Smite though!

Personally, looking at the Adeptus Mechanicus thing where shots deal a mortal wound on 6+ makes me envious. That sort of ability would be fantastic for Tau gunlines.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Sep 13 2017 06:15

Arka0415 wrote:
Panzer wrote:For Death Guard it's their theme but I doubt TSons will have as easily access to it for example.

I bet Thousand Sons can output an unbelievable amount of Smite though!

Personally, looking at the Adeptus Mechanicus thing where shots deal a mortal wound on 6+ makes me envious. That sort of ability would be fantastic for Tau gunlines.

Hah, that's true. Maybe not the best example. Then...uhm...CSM in general don't have as easily access to Mortal wounds! There, better! :P

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Sep 13 2017 07:05

Panzer wrote:Hah, that's true. Maybe not the best example. Then...uhm...CSM in general don't have as easily access to Mortal wounds! There, better! :P

Yeah, that's true! :D It seems like a few armies are lacking access to mortal wounds... but then again, maybe it's because we're comparing everyone to Death Guard, which are basically all about mortal wounds now?

Anyway, here's something I realized... GW basically totally revamped Nurgle's theme to include Mortal Wounds- that's totally different than how it felt before! I wonder if any other armies will get fundamental changes like that. It's similar to the new "close-range Tau" that we're seeing now, in a way.

Return to “Tau Tactics”