Magnus and friends.....how?

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Folix
Shas

Magnus and friends.....how?

Post#1 » Sep 16 2017 10:11

So in our league I've been chosen, by our side to play the other sides top player who is very good.

He typically runs Magnus with a changling -1 to hit. 2 demon princes chariots and a wack of demons. He bubble wraps the changling. Uses warp time to get Magnus across the table in a hurt.

Needless to say not a easy list. I've struggled against this before but I have some new units to help out now.

Here is a basic list of what I was thinking:

Ax 1 0 tiger shark
2 yavarhas with shield drones
O railai
Long strike
7 tactical drones
4 stealth suits

I figure if be close to taking out Magnus in one turn then use the yavarhas to shield the back units and hopefully deal with that blob of demons that comes forward.

I have almost all the units except vespids. I have 5 hammer heads as well but every time I run the numbers the tiger shark macro cannons come out on top.

Thoughts?

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Magnus and friends.....how?

Post#2 » Sep 16 2017 03:52

Only one question: "Where is your Commander Farsight?"

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Folix
Shas

Post#3 » Sep 16 2017 04:21

He is on the shelf lol. Honestly he would get pounded into the ground by Magnus.

1ofmany
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Sep 17 2017 08:35

One very big unit of drone to connect all your units to gather. One of those drones should be in front of al your units so he can charge. It. Now if he does......the hole army can fire overwatch.

It will not kill him but it will help bring him down.

Folix
Shas

Post#5 » Sep 17 2017 12:28

That have me an idea what about deep striking in 3 commanders with gun drones for charge buffer each commander with triple fusion blasters. I can then put homing beacons on the stealth suits so I can get to that 9 inch range and do the the 2d6 pick the highest.

That's 9d6 dmg on a 2+. I can put all the drones slightly closer meaning he can't charge the commanders with out first engaging the drones.

Kruso
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Sep 18 2017 02:58

In my experience you don't counter Magnus with big guns in this edition. Spam gun drones and, believe it or not, flamer crisis. That's what kills Magnus.

Magnus has great invulnerable save at 4++ rerolling ones, which he can buff to 3++. Fusion blasters are gamble, but a lot of drones start to hurt him, as he's relying on his armor save. Drone controller and 5 markerlights are required though.

Flamers also wound on fives and have godly amounts of hits even in overwatch. Y'vahra might work too now that I think of it.
-Heresy grows from idleness-

Folix
Shas

Post#7 » Sep 18 2017 11:01

I have two of them. That would do it problem is deployment. I have to put them within 26 inches of magnus to get to him. If magnus gets first turn that blows up in my face.

Return to “Tau Tactics”