Questionable use for countefire defense system

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Draco023
Shas'Saal

Questionable use for countefire defense system

Post#1 » Sep 19 2017 01:29

I know it's technically allowed, but would it be worth the points to mount the counterfire defense system on a stealth 'vre with the markerlight? It's not a huge increase in the odds of getting that markerlight hit, and even if you do re-rolling ones won't net that many more. But it only costs 14 points for both, and I can certainly see the use of an extra markerlight the rest of the game, since my stealth team is usually unsupported. Thoughts?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Questionable use for countefire defense system

Post#2 » Sep 19 2017 02:08

Nah. Not for the Markerlight at least. I'd much rather have the Fusion Blaster hit in Overwatch than getting a single Markerlight on the charging unit. ^^

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Sep 19 2017 03:51

If I recall correctly you can't buff your BS in overwatch as it is stated to hit on 6s only.

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Sep 19 2017 03:57

Ricordis wrote:If I recall correctly you can't buff your BS in overwatch as it is stated to hit on 6s only.

That's correct, but 1 hit wouldn't buff your BS, just let you re-roll ones.
But it still probably not worth it as Panzer pointed out. Oh well, just looking for more ways to play :biggrin:

thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Sep 19 2017 06:31

If you are going to spend the points anyway, then maybe multitrackers on the stealths will help instead, that way you get the same function as 1 markerlight, they can operate independent from the main force and its reasonably costed.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Sep 19 2017 06:34

I had in my mind rerolling ones would only be able in the shooting phase but that's actually wrong.
So, yes, you can reroll your 1s.
This raises your chance from 16.7% to 19.4% to land a hit while overwatch. If you managed to land a marker before.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Sep 19 2017 06:34

Draco023 wrote:I know it's technically allowed, but would it be worth the points to mount the counterfire defense system on a stealth 'vre with the markerlight? It's not a huge increase in the odds of getting that markerlight hit, and even if you do re-rolling ones won't net that many more. But it only costs 14 points for both, and I can certainly see the use of an extra markerlight the rest of the game, since my stealth team is usually unsupported. Thoughts?

Is it worth it? Who knows. But, I think it would be legal.

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Sep 20 2017 02:47

Ricordis wrote:If I recall correctly you can't buff your BS in overwatch as it is stated to hit on 6s only.

Actually it's BS 5+. I just checked my battle primer.
For the Tau'va ATT!!!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Sep 20 2017 02:50

It's only BS5+ with the Counterfire Defense System. Regular Overwatch is on 6+.

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Sep 20 2017 02:57

Panzer wrote:It's only BS5+ with the Counterfire Defense System. Regular Overwatch is on 6+.

I don't get this. How can you hit on 5+ in Overwatch?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Sep 20 2017 02:59

Studioworks wrote:
Panzer wrote:It's only BS5+ with the Counterfire Defense System. Regular Overwatch is on 6+.

Because that's what the Counterfire Defense System says. It's not a modifier or anything, it simply overwrites how Overwatch works for the model equipped with CDS.
Should be fairly obvious by just reading the Index entry for CDS.

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Sep 20 2017 03:05

My battle primer syas overwatch is resolved at BS 5+. It's pretty much been like that since 7th. I remember being relieved that they hadn't removed that. Have they changed their mind (gorram GW!!)
For the Tau'va ATT!!!

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Sep 20 2017 03:12

Panzer wrote:
Studioworks wrote:

Because that's what the Counterfire Defense System says. It's not a modifier or anything, it simply overwrites how Overwatch works for the model equipped with CDS.

Even more confused. It says that you can re-roll failed to hit rolls for Overwatch. :::(

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Sep 20 2017 03:19

Studioworks wrote:
Panzer wrote:
Studioworks wrote:

Even more confused. It says that you can re-roll failed to hit rolls for Overwatch. :::(

Oi! My bad. I was still remembering the 7th edition effect. You're right it's "just" re-rolling and of course only hitting on 6+. Although there are effects that let units hit Overwatch on 5+ ... just not for us. ;)

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Sep 20 2017 08:14

thesnailmaster wrote:If you are going to spend the points anyway, then maybe multitrackers on the stealths will help instead, that way you get the same function as 1 markerlight, they can operate independent from the main force and its reasonably costed.

I frequently run them that way, 2 points per model to re-roll 1's? Yes please! I hadn't considered that working for overwatch though, I'll have to re-read that rule.

Edit: Rule only says that it's when firing all it's weapons, no mention at all of what phase. That makes the multi-tracker a very effective piece of kit to my mind, especially for the price! I can give the whole squad one for the price of just the marker light and still get to use the 'vre's burst cannon. :D

Blinx
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Sep 20 2017 09:26

Interestingly, if you have a markerlight on the 'vre, It can't take advantage of multitrackers as it can't fire all of it's weapons.

thesnailmaster
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Sep 20 2017 09:33

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:My battle primer syas overwatch is resolved at BS 5+. It's pretty much been like that since 7th. I remember being relieved that they hadn't removed that. Have they changed their mind (gorram GW!!)

The battle primer says a hit roll of a 6 is required....

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Sep 20 2017 09:39

Blinx wrote:Interestingly, if you have a markerlight on the 'vre, It can't take advantage of multitrackers as it can't fire all of it's weapons.

Also true, for the points I can only see a few situations where the markerlight might have advantage; to get the 4th hit to avoid cover or the 5th for a BS buff ( unlikely to happen often enough to count on), to shoot at a separate target from the rest of the squad in support ( potentially, if you're really good at synergy on the field, which I am not!) or if the rest of the squad has ATS instead to get the same effect as the multitrackers at a higher AP( math wise I'm pretty sure a second boy with his shots AND the shots from the 'vre would be a better use of points per wound though)

Return to “Tau Tactics”