Orca rush

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Orca rush

Post#1 » Sep 27 2017 05:54

So I was looking at the orca and it's ability to carry 65 infantry each and I was wondering if you could build an all or nothing list around that this is what I would use but has anyone got any actual experience using one?

2000 pts 9 CP
Battalion detachment
Quad Fusion Commander
Quad Fusion Commander
10 Breacher w Shas'ui + 2 gun drones
1 Firesight marksman (I got to the end of the list and had 28 points to spend)
Orca
Orca
Battalion detachment
Ethereal
Ethereal
10 kroot
10 kroot
10 kroot
10 kroot

Clocks in at 1996 all said and done

The plan would be 3 drops 2 orca and marksman alpha strike the QFC.

Put 30 breachers 20 kroot and 6 drones in each orca bomb them to wherever the enemy is holding up then all jump out turn 2 breachers wreck house and kroot assault anything we don't want to shoot us back next turn.

Seems easy enough in theory :biggrin: has anyone used or seen one being used?

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Re: Orca rush

Post#2 » Sep 27 2017 07:39

I used an Orca strike recently in a game against Craftworld Aeldari. I called it my Battalion in a Box. It was a 100 PL game, and this lost comes in at 101 PL.

Battalion:
HQ:
2x Fireblades w/ 2x Shields each
1x Ethereal w/ 2x Shields
Troops:
4x 5 man Strike Teams with 2x Shield Drones each
Elite:
4x Firesight Marksman
Fast Attack:
2x 5 man Pathfinders w/ 3 Rail Rifles, 2x Shield Drones, Pulse Accelerator, Grav-Inhibitor
Heavy Support:
2x 3 drone Sniper Drone units
Flyer:
Orca
1x 2 drone Remora unit
Air Wing Detatchment
2x Barracuda with Swiftstrike Railguns
2x 2 drone Remora unit.

The list tore the Aeldari to pieces, and had 4 of 6 Objectives firmly in hand by the end of turn 2, and no more real threats. Opponent conceeded on her third turn.

Damage to my side was minimal. Two wounds off a Barracuda, one Remora dead, and about 6 Shield Drones popped.

One caveat that may change things is we were using a bigger than average board so that played a big part in how my flyers could take the Aeldari apart piece by piece. I don't expect it to have been as easy if it was a standard board size.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 27 2017 08:35

The list I made comes in at 93PL is I was gunna go 100 I'd drop the Firesight marksman and go an extra 8 gun drone in each orca and would only be 2 deployment drops :D

If you weren't going to drop in the middle then drop 1 on each side of their deployment and crush them between an unyielding tide of Breacher teams and kroot :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Sep 28 2017 01:28

Orca lists are interesting, but there's one fatal flaw: You're paying an exorbitant amount of points (like 30% of your army list) for the group, and they protect your units on turn 1. However, you also can't deploy your units on turn 1 (if you do there was no point in bringing the Orca) and so spend that turn moving. This gives your opponent an entire turn to focus-fire on one of the Orcas and bring it down, getting them not only first blood but killing 1/6 of the models inside.

If you can do nothing on turn 1, lose a bunch of models in a crashing transport, and still win, then you probably didn't need the Orca. I'm sure they're really fun to play and make for flavorful gaming but, all those points don't seem worth it to me.

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Oct 01 2017 05:32

Orcas are kinda bad at offence, and I haven't had the chance to buy one yet. I do have a friend who plays FE, and he has a Orca. They are certainly better than the Devilfish at delivering troops, but suffer when you put them under fire. Compared to the Devilfish with the burst cannon + SMS, it can't really offer much other than being a flyer with good troop capacity and reasonable armour. Devilfish outranks it anyway, as I don't think there are limitations on how many dedicated transports you can take (correct me if wrong).
For the Tau'va ATT!!!

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Oct 02 2017 02:36

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:Devilfish outranks it anyway, as I don't think there are limitations on how many dedicated transports you can take (correct me if wrong).

If you were carrying 1-2 squads yes devilfish are probably better but you would have to take 6 devilfish for similar troops capacity as the orca which would cost twice as much and be 6 times as many deployment drops.
Also with a 9" range and D6 mortal wounds on the orca crash and burn if they shoot it down it may do more damage to the enemy than the units inside :D

BibiFloris
Shas

Post#7 » Nov 22 2017 12:09

I was looking at this and then the orca moddels.
And orcas are rare and exspensive. What did you guys use as a proxy or do all of you have them?
All praise the greater good or fall under its might.
Sorry for all of my English mistakes made and to make.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Nov 22 2017 05:58

BibiFloris wrote:I was looking at this and then the orca moddels.
And orcas are rare and exspensive. What did you guys use as a proxy or do all of you have them?

A lot of people around here bought it ofc when it was still available (until 2014-ish). I made a proxy model you can 3d print for it a while back...

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Nov 23 2017 03:24

I experimented with this idea for ages. If they had the valkyrie insertion rules they could be amazing. As is they are just an overly expensive delivery system; you'll get a better outcome by just manta striking.

The only exception I see to this is playing on massive boards. Tau are inherently short ranges, so they could work wonders by allowing you to manta turn 1, load up turn 2, then drop on the other side of the board turn 3.

The only trouble is that at the points where it becomes viable the enemy has enough firepower to kill it in a turn, and then you are well and truly screwed.

Return to “Tau Tactics”