A Broken Sword may still cut: Discussion on ways to use 'Broken' Units in 8e

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

A Broken Sword may still cut: Discussion on ways to use 'Broken' Units in 8e

Post#1 » Oct 01 2017 07:27

As of now, I have quite a few units that are considered 'broken' in 8e. So, I decided that ATT needs a community tactica page to discuss those units that are broken, one model at a time. Since quite a few of our battlesuits, and pretty much all our troop choices are now decidedly bad choices (or at least damaged by the transition to 8th edition). So, to start this thread, I'd like to discuss the XV104 Riptide. In 8e, the two main problems with the Riptide are the massive cost and the Nova Reactor Mortal Wounds. In 7e, you had a 1/3 chance of avoiding taking a wound. Now (unless you have a stimulant injector), the process is automatic. So, the riptide serves a smaller role in 8th edition lists. In 5e when I left off, the Riptide was one of our premiere offence units, and was decidedly awesome. Indeed, since it's release, the Riptide has become a massive seller for GW, mainly due to the good level of Dakka it can produce. So what role does the riptide fulfill in 8e??? Let the Community Discussion start!!!
Star Trek has returned. Imagine enterprise times Movie 5. Then times by cancer. That's how bad this series is.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: A Broken Sword may still cut: Discussion on ways to use 'Broken' Units in 8e

Post#2 » Oct 02 2017 12:50

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Overall a good idea, that we try to make the best of what there is right now; but anything we could come up with will only be a temporary fix.

Since the release of 8e we're really in a holding pattern, as we don't have our "real" Tau codex yet. But what's worse is that with every new codex, how our army works vis-à-vis the other army changes. Bell of Lost Souls has an article on the new IG codex: BoL Astra Militarum Order Rundown and there are some real "wow-they-can-do-that" kinda of stuff in that codex.

So, where are we at with WH40K ver. 8.4? ver. 8.5? And keeping that in mind, just know that everything is in flux, a good start! (Although honestly I was never a fan of the "Pacific Rim" armies anyway. :roll: )

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: A Broken Sword may still cut: Discussion on ways to use 'Broken' Units in 8e

Post#3 » Oct 02 2017 06:19

TauMan wrote:Since the release of 8e we're really in a holding pattern, as we don't have our "real" Tau codex yet. But what's worse is that with every new codex, how our army works vis-à-vis the other army changes. Bell of Lost Souls has an article on the new IG codex: BoL Astra Militarum Order Rundown and there are some real "wow-they-can-do-that" kinda of stuff in that codex.

I agree here. Back when the Index first came out, I was excited to start thinking about new tactics and whatnot, but... it's all going to change in 5-6 months anyway. For the time being let's make competitive lists for the tournament players, get new players up to speed on how to play Tau, and wait for the codex and hope it's as good as the new Imperial Guard one.

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Oct 02 2017 06:38

Arka0415 wrote:
TauMan wrote:Since the release of 8e we're really in a holding pattern, as we don't have our "real" Tau codex yet. But what's worse is that with every new codex, how our army works vis-à-vis the other army changes. Bell of Lost Souls has an article on the new IG codex: BoL Astra Militarum Order Rundown and there are some real "wow-they-can-do-that" kinda of stuff in that codex.

I agree here. Back when the Index first came out, I was excited to start thinking about new tactics and whatnot, but... it's all going to change in 5-6 months anyway. For the time being let's make competitive lists for the tournament players, get new players up to speed on how to play Tau, and wait for the codex and hope it's as good as the new Imperial Guard one.

Amen to that. Sorry guys for making a totally unnecessary thread. I'm actually kinda in shock over how badly CBS messed up Star Trek. They've murdered one of my favorite (sorry, my ABSOLUTE favourite) Sci Fi TV show, and condemmed it to the same level of writing as either Matt Ward or a 4 year old child. Both are interchangeable.
Star Trek has returned. Imagine enterprise times Movie 5. Then times by cancer. That's how bad this series is.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 02 2017 07:49

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:Amen to that. Sorry guys for making a totally unnecessary thread. I'm actually kinda in shock over how badly CBS messed up Star Trek. They've murdered one of my favorite (sorry, my ABSOLUTE favourite) Sci Fi TV show, and condemmed it to the same level of writing as either Matt Ward or a 4 year old child. Both are interchangeable.

No need to apologize! Keep thinking and get ready for the storm of analysis and list-building when the Codex finally comes out.

I noticed the Star Trek updates in your signature, sorry it turned out so badly!

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Oct 02 2017 08:08

Vio'ra Mal'caor - Hey don't beat yourself up about this! It was a great idea, and in the meantime till our codex comes out, see if you can come up some "stop gap" tactics!

History is full of similar situations: The Japanese Mitsubishi A6M fighter plane, a.k.a. Zero, totally outclassed the U.S. Navy's F4F Grumman Wildcat in 1942. However, until the superior F6F Hellcat came along, U.S. pilots had to figure some out some way of still winning with the Wildcat. Maybe you can do the same for the XV-104 Riptide? ;)

Haven't see the CBS Star Trek yet, but no surprise that they've wrecked it. After all waaaay back in the early 1960s, they turned down Gene Roddenberry's original Star Trek series; because they said they had their own scifi series in the works -- Lost in Space! :dead: :dead: :dead:

“SuvwI’ pong ghaH ‘Iv Hutlh batlh tuHmoH!” “He who is without honor shames the name of the warrior!”
– Commander Kang of the Klingon Empire.

TauMan
PS I am a former teenage Klingon!
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Oct 02 2017 08:16

TauMan wrote:History is full of similar situations: The Japanese Mitsubishi A6M fighter plane, a.k.a. Zero, totally outclassed the U.S. Navy's F4F Grumman Wildcat in 1942. However, until the superior F6F Hellcat came along, U.S. pilots had to figure some out some way of still winning with the Wildcat. Maybe you can do the same for the XV-104 Riptide?

So the trick to making Riptides better is reducing enemy fuel stockpiles, disrupting manufacturing, and increasing pilots' in-cockpit training hours? :D

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Oct 02 2017 08:49

Arka0415 wrote:So the trick to making Riptides better is reducing enemy fuel stockpiles, disrupting manufacturing, and increasing pilots' in-cockpit training hours? :D

No, the trick is to use the superior dive rate of the Riptide to get away from the Imperial Knights in a dog fight. Never try to follow an Imperial Knight in a climb, as they have the superior climb rate and turning radius. Use the "two man team" when ever engaging an Imperial Knight "three man teams", preferably attacking from a direct "head-on" attitude. Lastly, when you're the optimal firing position, always aim for where the wing joins the fuselage. This is the location of the wing mounted fuel tanks, which are not of the "self-sealing" variety.

In other words always "fly smart"!

Another successful kill by a XV-104 Riptide!

TauMan
Anchors Aweigh!
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Oct 02 2017 09:21

TauMan wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:So the trick to making Riptides better is reducing enemy fuel stockpiles, disrupting manufacturing, and increasing pilots' in-cockpit training hours? :D

No, the trick is to use the superior dive rate of the Riptide to get away from the Imperial Knights in a dog fight. Never try to follow an Imperial Knight in a climb, as they have the superior climb rate and turning radius. Use the "two man team" when ever engaging an Imperial Knight "three man teams", preferably attacking from a direct "head-on" attitude. Lastly, when you're the optimal firing position, always aim for where the wing joins the fuselage. This is the location of the wing mounted fuel tanks, which are not of the "self-sealing" variety.

Now I'm imagining WW2 stock footage with Imperial Knights and Riptides badly photoshopped into the video... :D I'm sure advanced tactics like those are key to individual aerial victories, but industrial capacity and pilot training are where it's at for winning wars! Here's where the real battle is fought:

So, to take down Imperial Knights, just outproduce them! I bet 4000 points worth of Riptides could kill 2000 points worth of Knights :P

Return to “Tau Tactics”