Effectiveness of EWO

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
manbearfrink
Shas

Effectiveness of EWO

Post#1 » Oct 02 2017 03:09

I've taken the Early Warning Override (EWO) almost every time that I've used either my Ghostkeel or Stormsurge, but I'm not seeing any benefit besides pushing a deepstrike out to 12". The reason being that I'm generally nice and don't surprise the person I'm playing with by going "haha I have an EWO and you placed your unit so I'm going to shoot it." Typically you would see an army list beforehand in a tournament setting as well.

Has anyone else struggled with this? And, if not, how are you forcing your opponent to drop inside that 12" range?

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Re: Effectiveness of EWO

Post#2 » Oct 02 2017 03:22

I am assembling my stormsurge at the moment but I had a similar thought process. It encourages your opponent to drop units in reserve at least an additional 3" inches farther but I came to the conclusion that is probably not worth the support system slot. In this order: I am considering velocity tracker, drone controller (specific list), or target lock over EWO.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Oct 02 2017 05:14

Depends;
If your enemy places his units more than 12" he loses the ability to charge the same turn and you get a whole turn of moving (away) and shooting...or even counter-charge beforehand.
If he deploys in EWO range you still get your shooting.

EWO = Your enemy decides if he wants to get shot now or a half turn later.

Might be worth it.

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 03 2017 04:05

These days I will play a Planetfall mission against Ultramarines and will for sure use EWO, at least with Riptide. He will for sure use Terminators and I don't want them easily in CC. I want at least to do some damage before they charge. Also will try to deny his Rapid fire Bolters. All in all I think it's a good situational piece of equipment.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Oct 03 2017 08:42

Ricordis wrote:Depends;
If your enemy places his units more than 12" he loses the ability to charge the same turn and you get a whole turn of moving (away) and shooting...or even counter-charge beforehand.

Might be worth it.

This is exactly why you take EWO on your big boy suits especially the SS. He has enough potential firepower to wipe entire squads off the board if your opponent does not give the 12" "no fly zone" enough respect. Yes you may NEVER use it but you're not getting charged from a deepstriking unit, ever. Worth the 8 points or drone/firewarrior you'd need to drop to get it.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Oct 03 2017 09:13

Yojimbob wrote:
Ricordis wrote:Depends;

Might be worth it.

This is exactly why you take EWO on your big boy suits especially the SS. He has enough potential firepower to wipe entire squads off the board if your opponent does not give the 12" "no fly zone" enough respect. Yes you may NEVER use it but you're not getting charged from a deepstriking unit, ever. Worth the 8 points or drone/firewarrior you'd need to drop to get it.

This plus Genestealer cult, a 9" charge is doable but 1/3 times a cult ambush will get move after arriving so will get a charge in you need the EWO especially on Stormsurge

manbearfrink
Shas

Post#7 » Oct 03 2017 01:43

Great points all, I guess I underestimated the 3" in the charge roll! Usually I've got some sort of bubble wrap, either drones or kroot, but last game my kroot were killed off first before the deepstrike.

I'll keep it for a week or two of league play and see how it does against some more armies.

AbsitOmen
Shas

Post#8 » Oct 04 2017 11:31

I just played two games against genestealer cults and my stealth team with EWO went to town on his infantry arriving via ambush. Very pleased with the performance.
Mind you, it was a friendly pickup game using fluffy lists so take my experience with a pinch of salt. :P

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Oct 04 2017 06:36

AbsitOmen wrote:I just played two games against genestealer cults and my stealth team with EWO went to town on his infantry arriving via ambush. Very pleased with the performance.
Mind you, it was a friendly pickup game using fluffy lists so take my experience with a pinch of salt. :P

Regular cult infantry or Genestealers? I think Stealthsuits should statistically pick up 2-4 kills when firing at normal GC infantry, but good rolling could of course make that much higher.

AbsitOmen
Shas

Post#10 » Oct 06 2017 03:56

Arka0415 wrote:
AbsitOmen wrote:I just played two games against genestealer cults and my stealth team with EWO went to town on his infantry arriving via ambush. Very pleased with the performance.

Regular cult infantry or Genestealers? I think Stealthsuits should statistically pick up 2-4 kills when firing at normal GC infantry, but good rolling could of course make that much higher.

Regular cult infantry. I run my stealth team in a squad of 6 + 2 gun drones. 5 w/ burst cannon + EWO, 1 shas'vre with FB + DC and ML/TL. Shooting + morale removed a sizable portion of the models my opponent dropped on me.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Oct 06 2017 04:01

Well not many units that come from reserve really care about Burst Cannons without ATS but I guess if one knows he's going to play against Genestealer Cult it's not a bad idea. :D

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Oct 07 2017 03:55

Panzer wrote:Well not many units that come from reserve really care about Burst Cannons without ATS but I guess if one knows he's going to play against Genestealer Cult it's not a bad idea. :D

Depends on if they are coming in with big squads or MSU because a 5 man team of assault Marines, striking scorpion would take 1-2 from EWO and maybe 1 from overwatch 2 Marines isn't enough to take on 3 stealth suits.

Or swooping hawks / Militarum tempestus lost 2/3 out of a 5 man squad their shooting isn't going to be that effective (well if all MT had left was 2 plasma guns would be trouble)

Just to elaborate I'm not a big fan of EWO on stealth suits but it's not only GC that should be worried by it.

KinGensai
Shas

Post#13 » Oct 20 2017 11:29

3" may not seem like a lot, but consider this via statistical analysis. 2d6 has a bell curve with a result of 7 occuring a little over 50%. 9 occurs around 28% of the time, rerolls push those odds into the mid 30s. 12 occurs exactly 1 out of 36 possibilities, or 2.8% of the time. even with a reroll, that squad is very likely to fail the charge.

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Oct 22 2017 09:48

I think the effectiveness of EWO is just an empirical question:

Is your enemy going to try and turn 1 charge you with a significant portion of their army (i.e. not like 5 genestealers)?

If the answer is yes, its gonna be worth it on the big units. Otherwise probably not. I guess it has some utility for keeping plasma drops away, but they just target your other suits on the drop then.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Oct 23 2017 05:20

Emberkahn wrote:I think the effectiveness of EWO is just an empirical question:

Is your enemy going to try and turn 1 charge you with a significant portion of their army (i.e. not like 5 genestealers)?

If the answer is yes, its gonna be worth it on the big units. Otherwise probably not. I guess it has some utility for keeping plasma drops away, but they just target your other suits on the drop then.

Except that EWO does nothing to prevent first turn charges that didn't come from reserves.

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Oct 23 2017 07:29

Panzer wrote:
Emberkahn wrote:I think the effectiveness of EWO is just an empirical question:

Except that EWO does nothing to prevent first turn charges that didn't come from reserves.

True; but that is pretty hard to achieve outside of valkyrie ogryns etc

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Oct 23 2017 07:46

About has 'hard' as a first turn charge out of reserves. Just less common to have that option.
Heldrake would be the first unit to come in mind that does first turn charges regularly.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Oct 23 2017 10:05

Basically anything in the harlequins due to rising cresendo a skyweaver can move 16 always advance 6 no roll required and then assault to 24-34" charge range and with twilight pathways can give a unit a second move phase turn 1 assault is easy for them.

Same with ynarri word of the phoenix to give extra move to howling banshee so 16" and 2D6+3" assault

I could list them all if you wanted but it's not necessary there are units that can easily turn 1 assault

Return to “Tau Tactics”