Tau Commander 3x CIB + Multitracker

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Tau Commander 3x CIB + Multitracker

Post#1 » Oct 10 2017 10:23

This may already have been discussed (I've looked but can't find anything on the forums), but I have a idea for a Tau Commander pulling three Cyclic Ion Blasters and a Multitracker. So the thing is that the CIB inflicts a mortal wound on the bearer on a hit roll of 1. Therefore, the multitracker comes in as it

rerolls hit rolls of 1 when firing all weapons at the same target

Due to the fact that a lot of our wargear options are useless unless used very situationally (which makes it harder to create a perfectly balanced list (part of GW's new 'No Powergaming' policy is that they are removing the opportunities for broken armies with less general-use stuff, especially on the Tau and Eldar who topped out 7e)) and I've found in my battles that the Multitracker would usually be a very situaional thing, as the majority of other wargear options make it unwanted on a Commander Crisis (in favour of a ATS or other valuable option) and almost unwanted on standard crisis armour due to the fact that having rerolls for less than three weapons (especially with single-shot weapons like the Fusion Blaster). However, I've found that using it with the Cyclic Ion Blaster tends to boost the 'accuracy' of the weapon, and reduces the chances of inflicting a mortal wound. To scientifically test this, I performed a 'experiment'. I fought ten battles against the same enemy (the Dark Eldar), limiting the units to five of my opponent's jetbikes against a single crisis commander. I did five tests with four Cyclic ion blasters, and another five with three CIB and a Multitracker. We carried on each of these battles for ten battle rounds. In three of the five battles using the full CIB loadout, the Crisis Commander died twice from CIB wounds, and was killed by the jetbikes in the third failed battle. The other two times, the suit took minor damage from the weapons. Admittedly, the jetbikes did not enter melee in any of the ten battles, so there is some room for error there. Anyway, in the other five battles using the CIB plus Multitracker, the Crisis Commander only died twice from CIB wounds, and managed to survive all other battles with minimal wounds. I do know a lot of this is down to chance, but most of my die rolls were within the same range. So I then did the math, and with 4x CIB, you get a maximum of 60% chance of dying from your wounds, which is further negated to 10% when you remove all the rolls that do not cause a mortal wound. With 3x CIB and the Multitracker, you get a 40% chance of dying solely from self-inflcited wounds, and that is reduced to a die percentage of 6.67% if you do not save all the rolls of 1. The crisis commander has 6 wounds, and with three CIB units, it can deal a maximum of 9 wounds. With four CIB, it deals a maximum of 12 wounds. So from this very flimsy maths (flimsy due to the amount of random chance involved in the rerolls, and also possibly due to my stuggles with percentile math) it seems to be better to take the multitracker, at the risk of increased mortal wound damage due to every failed reroll (sorry if this is confusing).

Anyway, what do ou think, and can someone pick through this and figure out a tl;dr for this??? I can't as I have work to do.
For the Tau'va ATT!!!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Tau Commander 3x CIB + Multitracker

Post#2 » Oct 10 2017 10:40

You're right- re-rolling 1s is a great way to minimize the self-damage drawback of using overcharged Cyclic Ion Blasters! However, Markerlights offer the same bonus, and of course there's the opportunity cost of not taking ATS or a 4th weapon.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Oct 10 2017 11:11

Same problem here as always with the Multi-tracker.
ATS boosts your damage output more plus Multi-tracker is redundant with the very easy to achieve first Markerlight bonus, so the ATS loadout could easily get both bonuses while you wouldn't gain anything from Markerlights for the Multi-tracker loadout, falling even further behind.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 10 2017 11:50

Panzer wrote:Same problem here as always with the Multi-tracker.
ATS boosts your damage output more plus Multi-tracker is redundant with the very easy to achieve first Markerlight bonus, so the ATS loadout could easily get both bonuses while you wouldn't gain anything from Markerlights for the Multi-tracker loadout, falling even further behind.

I mostly agree with panzer that the redundancy makes not great here. Multitracker does have some uses though. If you don't have many markerlights in your list (like in lower point games) it becomes more viable maybe. I like the idea of it though. I want to try multitracker on my coldstar so I have the option to hunt down characters better. CiB commander has manta strike to do the same thing sort of to also get behind a character. Having a built coldstar makes me want to try multitracker on the coldstar first, as well as it's attractive move and fly combination. The Other support system would be ATS.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Oct 11 2017 04:06

We're all forgetting the third source of re-roll 1s in our army. I use an Ethereal for many reasons, but one of them is its Elements abilities, one of which is re-roll 1s, making the idea of a Multi-tracker on a model with 2+ BS even more useless. I'd probably put a Multi-tracker on something that I'd use to shoot at a target that isn't my markerlit target, say, some manta-striking suits or a flanking Ghostkeel. Now THERE'S a unit that could take advantage of the Multi-tracker for Overcharging.
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Return to “Tau Tactics”