Aun'Shi alpha strike defence?

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Nymphomanius
Shas

Aun'Shi alpha strike defence?

Post#1 » Oct 11 2017 05:20

Hi guys so I have been thinking about getting an ethereal to stick at the back with my Fire Warriors and Pathfinder for 6+ FNP mainly but is it worth the extra points for Aun'Shi?

If a small squad of assault Marines, striking scorpion, Genestealer pop up just 5 could quite possibly drop 10 firewarrior and 5 Pathfinder but if you can kill 1/2 with shooting Aun'Shi could finish what was left surely? Then I would lose 1 squad instead of 3?

Has anyone used him in this way? Or at all for that matter?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Aun'Shi alpha strike defence?

Post#2 » Oct 11 2017 06:28

Nymphomanius wrote:If a small squad of assault Marines, striking scorpion, Genestealer pop up just 5 could quite possibly drop 10 firewarrior and 5 Pathfinder but if you can kill 1/2 with shooting Aun'Shi could finish what was left surely?

If you're sure that your enemy will try to deep strike close to your gunline, then Aun'shi would definitely help. If 10 Fire Warriors and 5 Pathfinders are charged by 5 Assault Marines, you'll get 30 shots in Overwatch, which comes out out to about one kill. As long as Aun'shi is performing a Heroic Intervention or otherwise hitting first, he can take down one or two Assault Marine every turn (5 attacks > 4.17 hits > 2.78 wounds > 1.85 kills).

However, I feel like your opponent could just avoid Aun'shi. Chances are they'll use a deep strike force larger than five models (if deep strike is part of their strategy), or even if they don't they could just drop their unit in a position where Aun'shi wouldn't be able to help in time.

Nymphomanius
Shas

Re: Aun'Shi alpha strike defence?

Post#3 » Oct 12 2017 02:39

Even if he couldn't HI if 1 went down to overwatch aslong as they aren't able to consolidate into another combat next turn will get 5 firewarriors and Pathfinder shooting at them close range (20 shots 10 hits 6 wounds 2 dead) then he can finish the last few off.

A squad of 10 is more problematic but he does only have to kill 4 assault Marines to get his points back more or less.

However for a few points more IoM can get an eversor assassin and I know which I would prefer.

Return to “Tau Tactics”