Throwing out the mold: the merits of despecialization in crisis teams

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Throwing out the mold: the merits of despecialization in crisis teams

Post#55 » Dec 18 2017 09:28

JancoBCN wrote:If the great Arka sais so... I will have to give them a chance again, then!

Haha, thanks. I'm not defending CIBs out of favoritism or anything, don't get me wrong- if they're not the optimum weapon I'll be happy to switch things up. Do try them out though- keep your distance and use either to carve through enemy flanks or to support anti-tank units.

JancoBCN wrote:Usually my experience has been that I don't have to shoot at infantry given that I have already that front covered (maybe my meta is more Mech-oriented), which makes me shoot at vehichles, wounding 2-4 and them saving 1-3... which for 18p a piece... seems a bit poor to me.

A squad of XV8s with 6 ATS-eqipped CIBs should fire about 12 shots which should, with proper Markerlights, get 9 hits and 6 wounds. With ATS the enemy probably has a 5+ save, in which case you'll cause 4 wounds and 8 damage. This is enough to rip through Rhinos, Razorbacks, Chimeras, most light vehicles, allowing your Missile Pods and Ion Rifles to finish them off. With the tank destroyed and the passengers exposed, the XV8s' Gun Drones can dispatch whoever was inside. Even without Markerlights you're looking at 4 statistical wounds and about 6 damage. The idea behind the CIB is that you can engage any target without sacrificing range or damage output- wherever you turn you can effectively damage whatever's in front of you, and you won't compromise on firing efficiency.

The CIB is ill-equipped to deal with T3/Sv6+ or T4/W1 infantry however, which means that Genestealers and Wyches will cause you problems. However those units die in droves to Gun Drones!

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#56 » Dec 18 2017 04:36

I think I will weigh in on this topic, as I have an opinion about mixed-weapon teams. If they are in the right spot, at the right time, they are great. However, as many others have said, despecialization does limit what you can do. I think out of all the loadouts that have been discussed, 2x Flamer 1x CIB would be the best, as flamers take care of gribblies like guardsmen and guants easily, and can put sizeable dents in MEQ, and the sheer number of shots can pose a threat to TEQ. CIB is our most flexible weapon, as Arka said, and I think it does a good job against practically anything, with it's variable profile and high strength. I will try it out combined with a Y'vahra in my next game, as the flexibility of both will help paired with commanders and drones.

Tau'va

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#57 » Dec 19 2017 09:57

I went for the 2x Flamer 1x FB combination in my tournament last sunday (1k points, 1 detachment) and I got lucky to draw 3 times a Death Guard player..

The 6 flamers where very good and more then enough for the amount of Cultists (1st battle) and poxwalkers (1st and 2nd battle) Nurgle Space Marines (2nd battle), but the FB made a good impact on the Bloat Drones (with some ML support) and on the new mortar tank (2nd battle)

(I won't talk about the 3rd battle as that was a complete misfire.. failed almost all I could and he made/saved almost all he could and playing maelstrom and he had all the decent cards and I none.. eventually I killed 1 Terminator! But leason learn't just ignore those and go for other targets)

I will try the CIB combination next time

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#58 » Jan 18 2018 04:52

Whenever I want a mixed loadout, I just put ion blasters everywhere. They have a decent range and are versatile enough that they are good against everything. And with a single markerlight you can get rid of those pesky 1s.
I've been using them with my XV84 commander, so I get the markerlight for free, and then all the crisis suits can follow up with their ion blasters.

Return to “Tau Tactics”