New player

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: New player

Post#19 » Oct 24 2017 08:11

Rayne wrote:
GND wrote:Since you usually don't put Flamers or Plasma Riffles on Commanders you have at least 18" range on your guns when you Manta Strike in. No need to be 9.1" away from you target.

I actually dropped my commander on 9" so he could get the 'advantage' roll on his weapons.
So I guess that's not really worth it.

Sadly it doesn't work that way. You can't get the best-of-2D6 roll on the turn you use Manta Strike, unless you used a Homing Beacon.

Rayne wrote:I used Kroot in my first game to meatshield my strike team, though was rather disappointed with their performance.

Meatshields, or "screening units" are tough to fit into a list. 10 Kroot Carnivores make a great screen, but... if they're guarding 10 Fire Warriors, your paying 75% of those points again just to have a melee screen. Why not pay 20 more points and just have two lines of Fire Warriors?

Rayne wrote:Though because of their lack in most lists I wondered if there was anything more cost efficient to eliminate heavy weapons from cover.

Vespids are actually a great choice, one of the star units in our Index in terms of firepower. However, there are two reasons why people don't take them. First, almost no one owns the models, they're only in Finecast and are pretty expensive, and they've never really been good in the past so few people own them already. Second, they're pretty flimsy, so if they fail to kill their target it's easy to remove them with Bolters. XV8s, on the other hand, are much more durable.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Oct 24 2017 08:29

Vespid are great. The reason why they are rarely seen in lists is because their actual models are expensive and somewhat ugly and because they compete with CIB Crisis/CIB Commander for the same role while getting killed way more easily.

Arka already said why Kroot are rarely seen. They don't do much except for getting killed and aren't cheap enough for just that. For little more points you could get more Firewarrior/Drones/Pathfinder instead who all do way more.

Krootox are expensive model-wise but aren't too terrible rules-wise. Just not really good either. In a Kroot themed list I'd definitely take as many as possible of those.

Kroot Hounds have a similar problem. The models are expensive and somewhat ugly. However they do what Kroot are supposed to do better. They die but they are cheap enough to take them over our 8ppm units.

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#21 » Oct 24 2017 08:56

I'd like to see the kroot get some love, a special character maybe or even a generic HQ and better weapons on the shaper and you could do a kroot list, it may not be very good but might be fun :D

GND
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » Oct 24 2017 11:25

Arka0415 wrote:
Rayne wrote:
GND wrote:Since you usually don't put Flamers or Plasma Riffles on Commanders you have at least 18" range on your guns when you Manta Strike in. No need to be 9.1" away from you target.

I actually dropped my commander on 9" so he could get the 'advantage' roll on his weapons.

Sadly it doesn't work that way. You can't get the best-of-2D6 roll on the turn you use Manta Strike, unless you used a Homing Beacon.

Just to clarify. Manta Strike Requires you to be more than 9" away. You cannot drop exactly 9" to get the melta bonus.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Oct 25 2017 09:55

Rayne wrote:

Remember though that for your Fusion Blasters you have to be on less or equal to 9" to the target, while Manta Strike is greater then 9" so the double roll for damage can not happen on the turn you manta strike in unless you use the homing beacon from the Stealth suits.

Return to “Tau Tactics”