Stormsurge viability

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Renzar
Shas

Stormsurge viability

Post#1 » Oct 23 2017 09:29

Greetings fellow Tau players! I have a tournament coming up this Saturday and wanted some input on the role of the Stormsurge. I've done a good bit of reading in the Cadre Building sub-forum and noticed that most of the armies tend to have more commanders than I currently own/afford. I plan to post my final army listing there but wanted to come here and ask what you all thought of the Stormsurge in the current meta. I have had some games where he seems to bring the pain and then others where he just flops completely. What is an effective way of playing him and what kind of army would he fit best with?

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Re: Stormsurge viability

Post#2 » Oct 24 2017 12:06

I had my stormsurge bits for about 2-3 weeks. I plan to have it assembled and possibly base coated in about a week and a half. I have an event I plan to run mine in 11/4. I don't have actual expierence using it. In my opinion I think pointwise there are more efficient options. For range, hammerheads are more accurate. For damage, manta striking commanders is more bang for the the buck. What I think the stormsurge should be good at is distracting your opponent. The destroyer missiles should help remove things with high saves asap. I think in a 48"x48" map the pulse blast cannon is probably a better weapon. It is almost guaranteed to more damage in smaller maps. 30" range with an ats is = crisis suit firing 2 CIB without ATS. at 20" range is my favorite profile on paper. 10" range should on average outclass the pulse driver. Larger maps probably can work with the pulse driver cannon but damage output is equal to a crisis suit with TWO fusion blasters (D3 average =2). I think the best all comer support systems choices at ATS +shield+ (support system that suites your fancy). This is just my analysis without play. I get to find out how wrong or right I am in under 2 weeks :).

I think it's a cool looking model and expect the stormsurge to be a mainstay of my own personal army from a long time since I have a lot to paint as is and is my arguably strongest unit. I have been brewing lists for months and it has been in every list for me. I think it it can find an ok role in lists between 1500-2k. Smaller lists have trouble making it work due to not enough markerlight support and it becomes a question of inefficiency.

Atzilla
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Oct 24 2017 01:59

The Stormsurge is one of the better units in the Tau index, imho.

Best loadout seems to be PBC+Burst Cannon, ATS + Shield Gen + Stim/EWO/VT

But be prepared, a competitive list can and will remove it turn one...
Last time I fielded one, it looked down the barrels of 16 lascannons/melta, and that was a fungame...

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Oct 24 2017 03:16

The Stormsurge is a great unit! Remember to take Burst Cannons not Flamers, and always use ATS and a Shield Generator. The Stormsurge isn't an alpha-strike unit though- rather, it has many different guns for many different units. So, the Stormsurge does not fill any roles like anti-tank or anti-infantry. It's good, but not amazing, at everything.

Renzar
Shas

Post#5 » Oct 24 2017 08:35

Atzilla wrote:The Stormsurge is one of the better units in the Tau index, imho.

Last time I fielded one, it looked down the barrels of 16 lascannons/melta, and that was a fungame...

I am now sad. I put the PDC and flamers on mine :sad:

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Oct 24 2017 10:21

Renzar wrote:
Atzilla wrote:The Stormsurge is one of the better units in the Tau index, imho.

I am now sad. I put the PDC and flamers on mine :sad:

Eh, at least in my experience I very much think the Pulse Driver is the best option.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Oct 24 2017 10:43

Well at least above 20" I do think the PDC is better. However since the PDC is more than twice as expensive than the PBC I'd never take it anyway lol

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Oct 25 2017 06:14

Unlike my fellow players here, I think it isn't worth anything at the moment. It's simply too expensive for very unreliable results that range from mediocre to terrible. I do quite like the mainframe and its weapons array, but the two main guns are plain terrible. For its really high cost, it simply doesn't do enough. I would keep it on the shelf until our codex arrives if I were you.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Oct 25 2017 10:30

I want to get my hands on some forgeworld's tactical drones so I can voltron my stormsurge through my opponents forces

zawyvern
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Oct 26 2017 01:18

Lostroninsoul wrote:I want to get my hands on some forgeworld's tactical drones so I can voltron my stormsurge through my opponents forces

Did you mean technical drones? Their repair protocol only effects battlesuits. And all drone saviour protocols (technical or tactical) only benefit infantry or battlesuits.The stormsurge is neither. Sorry. :?

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Oct 26 2017 04:55

Ya, dx4 technical drones. Good catch.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Oct 26 2017 05:39

zawyvern wrote:
Lostroninsoul wrote:I want to get my hands on some forgeworld's tactical drones so I can voltron my stormsurge through my opponents forces

Did you mean technical drones? Their repair protocol only effects battlesuits. And all drone saviour protocols (technical or tactical) only benefit infantry or battlesuits.The stormsurge is neither. Sorry. :?

The Stormsurge won't work but the Tau'nar will, if you like upscaling things! :D

Return to “Tau Tactics”