Honour blade vs equalisers

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Honour blade vs equalisers

Post#1 » Oct 26 2017 05:58

So I just got my first ethereal (never saw a use to them in earlier editions but giving a 6+ FNP to all units within 6" seems decent for their low cost)

I don't plan on getting him into combat but if I do is it better to have str5 or str3 ap-1?

Str5 looks better in every way to me but then why are equalisers an upgraded weapon with a higher cost?

Again not Planning combat but in my last game 4 pathfinders got taken out in combat by 5 guardsman so a Heroic intervention may have saved a few of them

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Honour blade vs equalisers

Post#2 » Oct 26 2017 06:04

Okay honest answer: It doesn't matter.
You won't do much more or much less damage with either and then your Ethereal dies. ^^

There's no real reason why it's a bit more expensive than the other. Like there's no reason why our Battlesuits are this expensive or why Power Axes are more expensive than Power Swords (they do about the same amount of damage against any target).

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Oct 26 2017 06:40

Nymphomanius wrote:So I just got my first ethereal (never saw a use to them in earlier editions but giving a 6+ FNP to all units within 6" seems decent for their low cost)

I don't plan on getting him into combat but if I do is it better to have str5 or str3 ap-1?

Str5 looks better in every way to me but then why are equalisers an upgraded weapon with a higher cost?

Again not Planning combat but in my last game 4 pathfinders got taken out in combat by 5 guardsman so a Heroic intervention may have saved a few of them

If you are trying to decide between Honour Blades and Equalizers, then worry not: you have reached zen. There is no triviality more minute than the close-combat loadout of a Tau Ethereal. But, if you're a couple points shy of 1500 or 2000, and you want to give an Ethereal the slightly more expensive weapon, then go for it: consider it the cherry on top for an otherwise perfect list! :P

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 26 2017 08:25

Fair enough lol I'm looking forward to the codex they might get access to a decent warlord trait we've seen a couple of +3" to all AoE abilities that would be nice on an ethereal :biggrin:

Return to “Tau Tactics”