Tau Supremacy

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Tau Supremacy

Post#1 » Oct 28 2017 05:58

The Tau Supremacy is an absolute monster.

Not just because it has a very solid weapon array with BS 2+
Not just because it is incredibly tough with 30 T8 wounds
Not just because it can be buffed by Aun'va to insane levels of tankiness and strength.

But because of shield drones. Titans are usually countered pretty effectively by macro. But the capacity to just surround a supremacy in very cheap ablative wounds that soak up multiple damage shots just makes them godly.

If anything they become exponentially better as you go up in points because the boards get bigger. Bigger boards means less small arms fire is in range, the only real counter to shield drones. Further, more titanic models, which the Supremacy is even stronger against. These in turn tend to be fairly cost ineffective against shield drones.

I'm sure that the strategy is considerably less effective against CC heavy lists, but I have to say that in my experience against mostly gunline armies the drones coupled with the suit and aun'va are incredibly hard to budge and immensely punishing.

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Tau Supremacy

Post#2 » Oct 29 2017 11:43

As someone who's used the Supremacy Armour in 3 games now, I concur. It's firepower multiplied by it's survivability has meant that against opponents who I normally have a good challenge against I know simply destroy. It's very much been a game changer for our meta, as they have to ask whether or not they'll be facing it or not.

Even in tactical objective games, it's speed has proven invaluable tn taking objectives or wiping the enemy off of ones I can't get to. So far, the only time it's died is when I was playing with a piece of terrain that blocked even the Ta'unar's line of sight and I had to advance to get the objectives. And that took two turns of the opponent's entire army in shooting and melee. 20 man noise marines are apparently really dangerous.

Cheers!

leo1925
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 16 2017 07:37

In what world does the ta'unar gets the battlesuit keyword but the stormsurge doesn't?

It's hilarious when i think of gun drones and shield drones taking the various titanic volcano cannon shots to the face in order to save the KX139.

Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Nov 17 2017 12:33

Im testing my 1500 Pts Taunar list with 24 Shield Drones Technical Drones and Aun'Va, So far I have been able to Beat decent lists of AdMech and Eldar, both won by sweep. I will take this list to a local 1500pts tournament I don't hope to win but I hope to have tons fun Ill bring back the full experience of this list in the event.

The list
OUTRIDER DETACHMENT
HQ 1 X Aun'Va with 2 X Ethereal Guard (75 pts)
FA 1 X 8 Shield Drones (64 pts)
E 1 X 2 Technical Drones (32 Pts)

SUPER-HEAVY AUXILIARY DETACHMENT
LoW 1 X KX 139 T'aunar Supremacy Armour 2 X Tri-Axis Ion Cannon 1 X Pulse Multi Driver System 4 X Smart Missile System 4 X Burst Cannon (1200 pts)

Total 1499 pts
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 6500 PTS

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 17 2017 12:51

leo1925 wrote:In what world does the ta'unar gets the battlesuit keyword but the stormsurge doesn't?

In a world where the Ta'unar is piloted like an actual battle suit and the Stormsurge like a giant tank on legs I'd say.
Blame the designer for modeling it with an open cockpit so the rules writer could see it and go "Oh! That doesn't look like it gets used like the other Battlesuits. Let's represent that in its rules somehow!" ;)

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 17 2017 02:42

Colt wrote:Im testing my 1500 Pts Taunar list with 24 Shield Drones Technical Drones and Aun'Va, So far I have been able to Beat decent lists of AdMech and Eldar, both won by sweep. I will take this list to a local 1500pts tournament I don't hope to win but I hope to have tons fun Ill bring back the full experience of this list in the event.

The list
OUTRIDER DETACHMENT
HQ 1 X Aun'Va with 2 X Ethereal Guard (75 pts)
E 1 X 2 Technical Drones (32 Pts)

SUPER-HEAVY AUXILIARY DETACHMENT
LoW 1 X KX 139 T'aunar Supremacy Armour 2 X Tri-Axis Ion Cannon 1 X Pulse Multi Driver System 4 X Smart Missile System 4 X Burst Cannon (1200 pts)

Total 1499 pts

Nice list!

In my experience you are better off taking 4 more shield drones than the technicals. No-one is going to shoot the Supremacy until every drone is dead anyway so I find they don't have a heap of use in game.

But I have had similar experiences with it; it out guns gun lines thanks to the shield drones, and its offensive potential is wonderful.

It's probably also worth splitting the shield drones into smaller units too; I know its harder to get them within saviour protocol range, but it makes them more durable. Also means if you want to break a few off to go snag an objective you can do so comfortably.

Return to “Tau Tactics”