New player- Stuck on Guardian Drones

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Re: New player- stuck on guardian drones

Post#19 » Nov 01 2017 10:31

Beerson wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Since you have the starter box, here's a slight change that might help:
-

HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Ethereal w/ Honour Blade (45)
Troops - 10x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (83)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Fusion Blasters, 3x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (327)

Total: 497 - Command Points: 3 (1 Patrol Detachment)

you sadly only get pieces for 5 gun drones in the start collecting box (2 for FW squad and 3 for suits)

I bought one on the weekend I've not opened it yet but says 23 models on the box and shows
Ethereal
10 Fw
3 crisis
DS8 turret
8 drones (2Fw +2per crisis suit)
Makes 23 in my book

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Nov 01 2017 10:35

Nymphomanius wrote:I bought one on the weekend I've not opened it yet but says 23 models on the box and shows
Ethereal
10 Fw
3 crisis
DS8 turret
Makes 23 in my book

23 models, 8 of it drones, but sadly only 5 of them can be assembled as gun drones

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#21 » Nov 01 2017 10:36

Nymphomanius wrote:I bought one on the weekend I've not opened it yet but says 23 models on the box and shows
Ethereal
10 Fw
3 crisis
DS8 turret
Makes 23 in my book

Here's the twist- you get 8 Drone chassis, but only enough Pulse Carbines to make 5 of them into Gun Drones.

Edit: One minute late!

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Nov 01 2017 10:37

Beerson wrote:
Ethereal
10 Fw
3 crisis
DS8 turret
Makes 23 in my book

23 models, 8 of it drones, but sadly only 5 of them can be assembled as gun drones

Do you get the option for Pulse carbine for FW in the box? If so a couple of little magnets or just glue carbine to the sides of the shield /marker drones and say that they are gun drones :D

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Nov 01 2017 10:45

Nymphomanius wrote:
Do you get the option for Pulse carbine for FW in the box? If so a couple of little magnets or just glue carbine to the sides of the shield /marker drones and say that they are gun drones :D

only one in the box, else you need to cut off the hands and rework the detail, what I'll do is that I'm going to either copy the proper pulse carbine for drones, or copy and rework the breacher gun (looks cooler) and use that with some other slight conversions to identify my dedicated gun drone squads (and make em look cooler)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Nov 01 2017 10:46

Beerson wrote:
Panzer wrote:Nah, Drones are generally not worth it on Firewarrior units. Either you go full Gun Drones and don't need the Firewarrior, or you just take more Firewarrior. Drones are best for sacrificing themselves for more expensive units like Crisis but not for other 8p models. ;)

the benefit of sacrificing 8p drone for 8p FW comes with morale, where you can essentialy use model from different unit to avoid losing morale check or lower the chance of losing it at least

That benefit is basically non-existant.
You could always just use two Firewarrior squads instead. Keep in mind your opponent has to kill at least 2 models to make you suffer from battleshock, 4-5 models for it to be likely to happen. At this point your unit is already half gone anyway. That's why MSU is better than playing big units. Even better with an Ethereal nearby.
Morale really is a non-issue for most units unless you try to play a bigger unit with low LD stat like Drones.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Nov 01 2017 10:53

Panzer wrote:That benefit is basically non-existant.
You could always just use two Firewarrior squads instead. Keep in mind your opponent has to kill at least 2 models to make you suffer from battleshock, 4-5 models for it to be likely to happen. At this point your unit is already half gone anyway. That's why MSU is better than playing big units. Even better with an Ethereal nearby.
Morale really is a non-issue for most units unless you try to play a bigger unit with low LD stat like Drones.

I agree that splitting unit is allways better option to fight morale, but if you do decide to take 10 man unit, you can still use nearby drone to make sure you pass morale basically for free

Return to “Tau Tactics”