Firebade volley rule double check

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Muaddib195
Shas

Re: Firebade volley rule double check

Post#19 » Nov 14 2017 03:41

Beerson wrote:
Draco023 wrote:Mathhammer wise I agree, I just can't let myself use the fish of drones. It bothers me from a fluff perspective. I'm not enough of an expert to say that it should, but it just rubs me the wrong way. Plus I have two piranha doing nothing at the moment :)

well there's no reason why the drones should not be transported in devilfish, not like they have dedicated trasport of their own, and they are being transported in it with the fire warrior squads anyway

a stand in devilfish model visualy made for drone transport would be fantastic, made me think about converting piranha that way, but unfurtunatelly I don't own one and unless my T'au friend will be willing to sell it to me (or exchange for kroot) I can't see myself buying it anytime soon

Converting a devil fish to have a rear hatch and drone rack similar to the MTT from Star Wars would be pretty sweet. If you do it right, you would have a nice little drone carrying case.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Nov 14 2017 03:42

Panzer wrote:Just don't build a list with nothing else than Drones. They are a supposed to support the Fire Caste, not to replace them. ;)

that's exacly what I intend to do with my cadre fluff though, unless drones become much worse then fire warriors in codex, you know, save T'au lives, use suits and drones! (my sept is going to be one with sept worlds rich on metals, kinda like mars)

also does the fireblade buff work when he's embarked or is he completely off the table when in devilfish?

Muaddib195 wrote:Converting a devil fish to have a rear hatch and drone rack similar to the MTT from Star Wars would be pretty sweet. If you do it right, you would have a nice little drone carrying case.

that's an option as well, definitely would look awesome to cut out the sides and put the racks there, but would include more work then just adding the drone racks alongside it, and I am a lazy person by nature :D (also, ehm, the piranha model is cheaper)
Last edited by Beerson on Nov 14 2017 03:47, edited 1 time in total.

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Nov 14 2017 03:45

Beerson wrote:
Panzer wrote:Just don't build a list with nothing else than Drones. They are a supposed to support the Fire Caste, not to replace them. ;)

that's exacly what I intend to do with my cadre fluff though, unless drones become much worse then fire warriors in codex, you know, save T'au lives, use suits and drones! (my sept is going to be one with sept worlds rich on metals, kinda like mars)

also does the fireblade buff work when he's embarked or is he completely off the table when in devilfish?

I believe no one can use a buff while embarked, unless the vehicle has a special rule allowing it.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Nov 14 2017 03:47

Beerson wrote:

Well it would be a pretty odd Cadre for T'au standards then. However having something like that isn't necessarily bad as long as one is aware that it's not in line with how things are usually done in the official fluff. ;)

And no the Fireblade buff doesn't work while embarked. While embarked the models aren't on the table for all rules-purposes no matter how well you can place them on the top of the transport. And what's not on the table can't use any abilities and is not there to measure any distances from. ;)

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Nov 14 2017 03:55

Panzer wrote:Well it would be a pretty odd Cadre for T'au standards then. However having something like that isn't necessarily bad as long as one is aware that it's not in line with how things are usually done in the official fluff. ;)

well the different septs have different views on both life and combat, we have farsight's with their close combat fluff for instance, so shouldn't be all that weird a small sept world who suffered huge casualties due to tyranids or w/e to gain such approach when they have the ability to do so (T'au don't field more drones and suits just because they don't have the resources, not because it would get in way with some code of honor or such)

Panzer wrote:And no the Fireblade buff doesn't work while embarked. While embarked the models aren't on the table for all rules-purposes no matter how well you can place them on the top of the transport. And what's not on the table can't use any abilities and is not there to measure any distances from. ;)

thanks, I though that to be the case, but I'ts always better to ask :)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Nov 14 2017 04:02

Yeah the different Septs have their little quirks but they largely follow the same doctrines. Though to be fair the individual Septs fluff is little fleshed out so maybe their differences will be bigger than they used to be once we get our Codex.
And the Farsight Enclaves are an entirely seperate case anyway...and apart from Farsight and a few odd ones among his Eight none of them are that much unit close combat either. FSE do warfare basically the same way the T'au Empire does, just with more focus on Mont'ka whenever Farsight himself is around. ;)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#25 » Nov 14 2017 07:06

The Fireblade buffing attached Gun Drones is just another reason not to take SMS on Devilfish.

And who says Gun Drones going in Transports is un-fluffy?? Remember this guy?

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#26 » Nov 14 2017 07:31

Arka0415 wrote:The Fireblade buffing attached Gun Drones is just another reason not to take SMS on Devilfish.

Oh man, that takes me back! That was actually my introduction to playing 40k.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Nov 14 2017 07:36

Arka0415 wrote:The Fireblade buffing attached Gun Drones is just another reason not to take SMS on Devilfish.

how the hell does that devilfish have a moldline in PC game :eek:

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#28 » Nov 14 2017 08:12

Beerson wrote:

how the hell does that devilfish have a moldline in PC game :eek:

Its not a bug, it's a feature!
The devs probably didn't know that it's not supposed to be there...just shows how huge that moldline is. :D

Pottsey
Shas'Saal

Post#29 » Nov 15 2017 05:36

Panzer wrote:Yeah the different Septs have their little quirks but they largely follow the same doctrines. Though to be fair the individual Septs fluff is little fleshed out so maybe their differences will be bigger than they used to be once we get our Codex.
And the Farsight Enclaves are an entirely seperate case anyway...and apart from Farsight and a few odd ones among his Eight none of them are that much unit close combat either. FSE do warfare basically the same way the T'au Empire does, just with more focus on Mont'ka whenever Farsight himself is around. ;)

While I agree from a rules point of view that’s not correct from a lore point of view even before Farsight broke away to form the Enclaves, Firewarriors under his command never did war like the rest of the Empire. I think it was Blades of Damocles which talks about how Farsight doesn’t agree with the rest of the Tau way of warfare and all Tau under his command have close combat training as standard and not just as one off but in the standard ongoing training routine. Part of that training is to deal with Orks that break into CC range which is also represented in the rules.

Farsight believes that close combat is a vital part of warfare.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#30 » Nov 15 2017 11:28

Pottsey wrote:
Panzer wrote:Yeah the different Septs have their little quirks but they largely follow the same doctrines. Though to be fair the individual Septs fluff is little fleshed out so maybe their differences will be bigger than they used to be once we get our Codex.

While I agree from a rules point of view that’s not correct from a lore point of view even before Farsight broke away to form the Enclaves, Firewarriors under his command never did war like the rest of the Empire. I think it was Blades of Damocles which talks about how Farsight doesn’t agree with the rest of the Tau way of warfare and all Tau under his command have close combat training as standard and not just as one off but in the standard ongoing training routine. Part of that training is to deal with Orks that break into CC range which is also represented in the rules.

Farsight believes that close combat is a vital part of warfare.

He thinks close combat is a vital part of warfare because Orks ALWAYS find a way to get into close combat and then you just have to have a way to defend yourself. He doesn't think that it's a good idea to get into close combat yourself as T'au in general. While most of the T'au Empire think they can completely avoid close combat through superior firepower. That's the only difference really.

AngryMook
Shas

Post#31 » Nov 18 2017 12:18

It seems to me that making heavy use of drones in combat is probably a more reasonable and realistic futuristic battle tactic than many others in the 40k universe, especially for a race that is probably heavily outnumbered by its enemies.

stayhandsome
Shas'Saal

Post#32 » Nov 18 2017 01:15

Indeed, Tau is a “our technology will save us” race, not a “bodies on line” race. Makes sense for a secular race to look for ways to preserve their lives. Makes a lot more sense for those who serve gods zealously to be willing to value their flesh a lot less.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#33 » Nov 18 2017 04:08

Don't argue too much with logic in the 40k universe. It never ends well. ^^

Yes T'au do care about their soldiers lifes but their fluff straight out says that using only Drones instead of actual Firewarrior goes against their doctrine.
The Caste system is so designed that every T'au has a place in society. If they were to replace Firewarrior with Drones it would mean the Earth Caste would be replacing the Fire Caste and their entire social system would beginn to crumble. T'au are still scarred from the time before the Ethereals appeared so they don't want any reasons to fight among eachother. Hence why the FSE is such a big thing despite both still fighting on the same side.

stayhandsome
Shas'Saal

Post#34 » Nov 18 2017 12:14

Cool man, love to hear lore insights like that

leo1925
Shas

Post#35 » Nov 18 2017 02:28

I think that the volley fire ability should be re-written so that it clearly states pistol 2 for pulse pistols, rapid fire 2 for pulse rifles, assault 3 for pulse carbines and while we are at that maybe include pulse blasters and kroot rifles in the ability.

Nymphomanius
Shas

Post#36 » Nov 18 2017 03:24

leo1925 wrote:I think that the volley fire ability should be re-written so that it clearly states pistol 2 for pulse pistols, rapid fire 2 for pulse rifles, assault 3 for pulse carbines and while we are at that maybe include pulse blasters and kroot rifles in the ability.

Yeah but that's really clunky compared to "fire an extra shot" and also would give firewarriors 4 shots each at <15"

Return to “Tau Tactics”