TX7 Fire Support Hammerhead Gunship Discussion

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Raikoh067
Shas'La
Shas'La

TX7 Fire Support Hammerhead Gunship Discussion

Post#1 » Nov 14 2017 08:14

I hope you guys don't mind that I'm making a couple of these unit discussion posts. I feel it's important to drum up some attention on some of these units that don't get as much of the spotlight. This is especially true with the Hammerhead variant, the TX7 Fire Support, as I think there are some truly effective weapons for these that may even outshine the vanilla hammerhead options. We can also include discussion on the DX7 Heavy Bombardment, which is basically just a missile broadside with a tank chassis.

For clarification, there are 3 main weapon options for the Fire Support:
Twin T’au plasma cannon
Twin heavy burst cannon
Twin fusion cannon

Let me know if I'm allowed to post the weapon profiles for these, as it will help streamline comparing.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: TX7 Fire Support Hammerhead Gunship Discussion

Post#2 » Nov 14 2017 08:25

I've played it once with dual burst cannons in a 2v2 vs AdMech and AM.
The AdMech had mostly infantry in form of skitarii and the AM mostly tanks...our lists had comparably few anti-tank and part of it got nuked in their alpha strike so we concentrated on killing the Skitarii and that one Guardsmen unit. Resulting in the Hammerhead having no ideal targets turn 2. However that one shooting phase it had it performed quite satisfying ... unfortunately it still costs about 100p more than the AssBack for about the same kind of shooting.

Raikoh067
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Nov 14 2017 08:30

Panzer wrote:I've played it once with dual burst cannons in a 2v2 vs AdMech and AM.
The AdMech had mostly infantry in form of skitarii and the AM mostly tanks...our lists had comparably few anti-tank and part of it got nuked in their alpha strike so we concentrated on killing the Skitarii and that one Guardsmen unit. Resulting in the Hammerhead having no ideal targets turn 2. However that one shooting phase it had it performed quite satisfying ... unfortunately it still costs about 100p more than the AssBack for about the same kind of shooting.

AssBack?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 14 2017 08:44

Raikoh067 wrote:
Panzer wrote:I've played it once with dual burst cannons in a 2v2 vs AdMech and AM.

AssBack?

Assault Canon Razorback.

Raikoh067
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Nov 14 2017 09:24

Panzer wrote:
Raikoh067 wrote:

AssBack?

Assault Canon Razorback.

So are you saying that I should be taking an AssBack instead of a TX7? I don't think I can do that. And besides, even if I could, why would I when I went out of my way to play Tau, not space marines...
There are exceptions, like our commanders, but generally speaking, we just have to work with what we got and accept that other armies have better equivalents.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Nov 14 2017 09:35

Raikoh067 wrote:So are you saying that I should be taking an AssBack instead of a TX7? I don't think I can do that. And besides, even if I could, why would I when I went out of my way to play Tau, not space marines...
There are exceptions, like our commanders, but generally speaking, we just have to work with what we got and accept that other armies have better equivalents.

The idea here is that, when other armies have better equivalents than us, we should focus on doing what we're good at. We're not going to win a ranged attrition game. We're not going to outclass enemy armor. So, with that in mind, our lists should focus on what we specialize in- fast gun platforms like Drones, XV8s, and Commanders, fantastic skirmish units like the Y'vahra, and deep strikers.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Nov 14 2017 11:36

Raikoh067 wrote:
Panzer wrote:
Raikoh067 wrote:
AssBack?

Assault Canon Razorback.

So are you saying that I should be taking an AssBack instead of a TX7? I don't think I can do that. And besides, even if I could, why would I when I went out of my way to play Tau, not space marines...

lmao of course not. Just saying that he is still overcosted compared to a very similar tank Space Marines can field.

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Nov 15 2017 01:35

I think the general consensus about the fire support is that everything it can do, others can do better. Namely the commander. That does literally everything this does, but better.

Return to “Tau Tactics”