Dark strider and breachers

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Callumibob
Shas

Dark strider and breachers

Post#1 » Nov 17 2017 09:53

Not sure I've seen a post along these lines so here goes. I think putting darkstrider in a fish with a breacher team could be a really good combo. Structural analyser take 1 toughness off combined with fighting retreat in case the proverbial hits the fan. I've still a fairly small army and my next purchase will likely be another get started kit to be kitted out as breachers. Am I missing a trick or is this a viable tactic?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Dark strider and breachers

Post#2 » Nov 17 2017 10:19

It's okay. Not a winning combo and a bit expensive for what it does but not bad either. Definitely a nice thing to take in casual games.
If you take him you take him for the -1T not for the fighting retreat. Your Breacher aren't very likely to survive long enough anyway.

Haechi
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 17 2017 10:31

Outside of the Devilfish Combo, fighting retreat is actually quite good at countering pile-in moves that lock you into combat, or vehicles charges such as rhinos.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 17 2017 10:32

My first few games of 8th had lots and lots of firewarriors with darkstrider and a fireblade holding down the center of the field. If they got charged, EVERYONE could pull out and fire. I had several units clumped together so I frequently had multiple sqauds tied up but only 1 or 2 with any actual casualties so getting the full squads out was generally invaluable. I like the tactic but when you use it with breachers in a fish off by themselves you tend to get more use out of the structural analyzer than the fighting retreat and even then the analyzer is only super useful against t4 bringing them down to t3 so you wound on 2's with the 5" profile, or bringing their t6 to t5 so you go from 4's to 3's or attempting to punch down heavier armor at t7 to t6 so you can wound on 4's. Not super useful but it has its place.

leo1925
Shas

Post#5 » Nov 18 2017 06:49

Darkstrider is very good, i would prefer it if the tactical analyzer became a 6" aura with a price increase, that way it could make our strike teams and the special weapons pathfinders more powerful.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Nov 19 2017 09:15

Hopefully this will help!

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=26659

UrzuKais
Shas

Post#7 » Dec 05 2017 07:05

Arka0415 wrote:Hopefully this will help!

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=26659

I had a similar post here.

While I personally really enjoy that type of set up (With mine being a bit more gimicky), it's not the best. I insist on running it though since I enjoy it.

Return to “Tau Tactics”