Uplinked Markerlights and traditionally "overcosted" units

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
AleksandrGRC
Shas'Saal

Re: Uplinked Markerlights and traditionally "overcosted" units

Post#19 » Nov 30 2017 02:26

I get its moving and-firing sucks
I also forgot you need to take two
I just figured a one time roll that net 4-6 markers as gud.

kruetz
Shas

Post#20 » Nov 30 2017 02:33

I recently did this comparing plasma commander vs plasma xv8 squad.

Take a step back and consider this.

taking a bs 4+ unit, then at 5 markerlights, you're now bs 3+ so 16% more hits +rerolling 1's (we're not doing math just broad overview)

taking a bs 2+ unit, then add 5 markerlighs all you get is reroll 1's (as 1 always misses)

now for a xv8 unit with plasma verses termies (T4 2+ 5+) the pts/wound was only a little better with 5 markerlights (not counting cost for the markerlights!) than just running commander with 4 plasma (no markerlights)

SO at BEST the xv8 did more wounds, but at a higher cost 225 vs a commander at 125pts, but this doesn't even count the cost of markerlights it took to get the xv8 squat to bs 3+

TL;DR commander still beats a xv8 squad even if there is 5 markerlights on the target NOT COUNTING THE COST OF THE MARKERLIGHTS

#%^&@ GW FIX THE COST!

(ALSO FRIENDS TOLD ME I SHOULD START ANGER MARINE ARMY)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#22 » Nov 30 2017 03:07

Kruetz that ground was covered months ago. There's no need to get upset about it.

kruetz
Shas

Post#23 » Nov 30 2017 03:30

Arka0415 wrote:Kruetz that ground was covered months ago. There's no need to get upset about it.

Was just hoping to get some fixes in CA. Guess I'll have to wait another month or 2 to get an actual codes.

My friends and I are playing an escalation campaing and my friends friends are playing friendly lists with codex's and still kicking my butt with my semi competive tau lists...

At this point, I need some serious help, now my last couple games of the 750pt week have been close, but I've still lost every game (* games straight loses).

My friends say T'au will get better at higher points level, is this true?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Nov 30 2017 04:12

kruetz wrote:My friends and I are playing an escalation campaing and my friends friends are playing friendly lists with codex's and still kicking my butt with my semi competive tau lists...

At this point, I need some serious help, now my last couple games of the 750pt week have been close, but I've still lost every game (* games straight loses).

My friends say T'au will get better at higher points level, is this true?

If you're having trouble with Tau, we'd love to help out! Post your normal list (and the general models in your collection) on the Cadre Building board and I'm sure lots of people will be happy to provide valuable input. I'm looking forward to it!

kruetz
Shas

Post#25 » Nov 30 2017 04:43

Arka0415 wrote:If you're having trouble with Tau, we'd love to help out! Post your normal list (and the general models in your collection) on the Cadre Building board and I'm sure lots of people will be happy to provide valuable input. I'm looking forward to it!

Thank you, I will definitely post in the morning, I have been running fire warriors and Commanders as my friends recommend (and the breachers in devilfish)... but advice from the friendly T'au would be appreciated.

Juicy Fruit
Shas

Post#26 » Nov 30 2017 10:43

Arka0415 thank you for this analysis. I often see your name next to a well written post whose points are backed-up by maths - you are a credit to the community!

I see myself using this stratagem to run a small unit of pathfinders that I can be more confident will survive.

1. Pathfinders set up out of LOS
2. Move pathfinders into firing position
3. Use Cadre Fireblade and strat to give the '3+ ignore move & shoot with heavy penalties'
Primum conatus pessimi

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Nov 30 2017 11:59

I definitely see myself using MSU firewarriors with hidden lights and a marksman or two. If we had some heavies that weren't super expensive or were anywhere close to being points efficient then I might even try and spring for a brigade. We'll see post codex but the time being will have MSU strike teams and MSU pathfinder teams with ions to make sure I can keep using the stratagem for 5 lights throughout the game.

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#28 » Nov 30 2017 12:55

Arka0415 wrote:
AleksandrGRC wrote:To bad its not add d3
Would of helped the tetra.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it doesn't help the Tetra, although "adding D3 Markerlights" is exactly what it does.

Forge world have told me they're submitting HI markerlights to the rules committee to see if it will be 3+d3. They can't comment yet as the CA Isn't released yet

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#29 » Nov 30 2017 01:55

Orion7 wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:
AleksandrGRC wrote:To bad its not add d3
Would of helped the tetra.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it doesn't help the Tetra, although "adding D3 Markerlights" is exactly what it does.

Forge world have told me they're submitting HI markerlights to the rules committee to see if it will be 3+d3. They can't comment yet as the CA Isn't released yet

But it's printed surely? It's released in 2 days? Maybe it'll get FAQ'D but that would be tops?

Again I'd rather wait and get a reworked ML table atm high intensity ML seem a waste and especially with the stratagem you ideally want 3 on your target before firing and you can't do anything with 6+ so why add D3?

And minimum I'd want 1 to RR the 1 to hit to reduce the chance to waste the shot which again puts you at 5-7 with the stratagem.

Rizzle
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#30 » Nov 30 2017 03:54

Nymphomanius wrote:And minimum I'd want 1 to RR the 1 to hit to reduce the chance to waste the shot which again puts you at 5-7 with the stratagem.

Ah, but here's the tricky bit. A strict reading of the rules appears to say that when using Uplinked Markerlights with a High Intensity Markerlight you replace the tokens you would normally get with 1+d3. Or rather, for the low, low cost of 1CP you can swap 3 tokens for 2-4!

It's a trivial thing to clear up if that is the case. It may even be the case that the wording on the stratagem makes this not a problem if it directly replaces a single instance of "add a markerlight token" and the HIML is doing that operation 3 times. Without the book in my hand I can't be authoritative :D

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#31 » Nov 30 2017 04:13

Rizzle wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:And minimum I'd want 1 to RR the 1 to hit to reduce the chance to waste the shot which again puts you at 5-7 with the stratagem.

Ah, but here's the tricky bit. A strict reading of the rules appears to say that when using Uplinked Markerlights with a High Intensity Markerlight you replace the tokens you would normally get with 1+d3. Or rather, for the low, low cost of 1CP you can swap 3 tokens for 2-4!

It's a trivial thing to clear up if that is the case. It may even be the case that the wording on the stratagem makes this not a problem if it directly replaces a single instance of "add a markerlight token" and the HIML is doing that operation 3 times. Without the book in my hand I can't be authoritative :D

Yes currently it's D3+1 a rumour is saying the FW unit will get D3+3 but I'm saying that it's a pointless upgrade

Rizzle
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#32 » Nov 30 2017 04:19

Sorry - I wasn't clear that you were objecting to that part. Yeah, actually using the once-per-phase ability to boost a markerlight on the Tetra seems like a... low priority choice? But I'd rather have it work for the times I have no better use for it than not ;)

Return to “Tau Tactics”