Aun’Shi in 8th Ed

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
stayhandsome
Shas'Saal

Aun’Shi in 8th Ed

Post#1 » Dec 03 2017 07:26

So full disclosure, I’m new to the game and have a lot of learning to do. However after deciding that Tau will be my army of choice and doing some tactical sleuthing, I keep coming back to the badass space Monk, Aun’Shi. Dude is just too cool. In an army where even the drones have shields, he goes out with nothing but a loin cloth and a double-bladed staff.

Am I a fool for wanting to include him in my list? Is there any way to use him without it being a joke?

Will GW ever give him the plastic model and data sheet that he deserves? ;)

Befiros
Shas

Re: Aun’Shi in 8th Ed

Post#2 » Dec 03 2017 08:21

Well i'm not a competitive player or the one who goes all for point efficiency but is not bad in 8thº edition, in friendly games i use him with kroot, he can give them fnp and good leadership and they give him bodies to hide behind, is not bad in combat (by tau standards he is a god) with st5 -2ap so if you like him go ahead and play him at least is funny to throw a crazy ethereal and carnivores to the enemy.

In one of my games against marines with like 50 kroot, dogs and shapers he did great, killed some marines and help my kroot to stay in the field (20 kroot killed a dreadnought in one round of shooting and combat :D when that metal box assaulted them)

Sorry if my english is bad, is not my mother tonge.

FederationUnitedNews
Shas

Post#3 » Dec 04 2017 01:55

If you compare Aun'Shi(68 pts) to a stock ethereal(45 pts), you'll see that he's actually a competitive option.

For 23 points you get a 4+ invulnerable save, and the option to buff up his attack or defense in melee. Basically he's decent in any list where you would bring an ethereal anyway.

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 04 2017 03:55

I started to paint him two days ago. When I see the great artwork he is such a badass character, but the miniature looks so meh. He should look like that:

https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0463/2 ... 461067.png

GND
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Dec 04 2017 04:44

stayhandsome wrote:In an army where even the drones have shields, he goes out with nothing but a loin cloth and a double-bladed staff.

He does have the same shield as the drones, you know :P

stayhandsome wrote:Is there any way to use him without it being a joke?

The 23 extra points you pay from him over an Ethereal are not worth it and are better spent elsewhere. If you are however building a list that already includes an Ethereal, replacing him with and Aun'Shi most likely won't lose you the game. You are essentially giving yourself a 23 point handicap and getting some 'coolness points' in return.

Just don't try to build a list around him and force him into CC. It's not worth it. Believe me, I tried :)

stayhandsome wrote:Will GW ever give him the plastic model and data sheet that he deserves? ;)

I'm skeptical of either happening.

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Dec 04 2017 04:58

FederationUnitedNews wrote:If you compare Aun'Shi(68 pts) to a stock ethereal(45 pts), you'll see that he's actually a competitive option.

For 23 points you get a 4+ invulnerable save, and the option to buff up his attack or defense in melee. Basically he's decent in any list where you would bring an ethereal anyway.

I agree with this sentiment. The shield generator is probably worth about 10-15 points (possibly more given his lack of a normal save). Dropping a drone or fire warrior in exchange for some flavour and the opportunity to mock your opponent viciously if you get a kill with him in combat I feel is worth it. No huge burden.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Dec 04 2017 06:37

I largely agree with the sentiment here- but there are a few drawbacks to Aun'shi's good points too.

Pros:
- He's the best melee fighter in our codex, pound-for-pound.
- He provides all the benefits of a regular Ethereal.
- His close combat skill makes him (somewhat) of a deterrent to deep-striking assault units.
- He's good at using Heroic Intervention to shore up a gunline.

Cons:
- You're ultimately spending extra points on a Tau melee unit.
- He's very easy to ignore, since your enemy doesn't have to deep strike near him.
- Tau have no close combat units that can support him.
- His Sept keyword is Vior'la, which will cause problems when our Codex comes out if your detachment/army is not also Vior'la.

stayhandsome
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Dec 04 2017 07:09

Arka0415 wrote:I largely agree with the sentiment here- but there are a few drawbacks to Aun'shi's good points too.

Pros:
- He's the best melee fighter in our codex, pound-for-pound.
- He provides all the benefits of a regular Ethereal.
- His close combat skill makes him (somewhat) of a deterrent to deep-striking assault units.
- He's good at using Heroic Intervention to shore up a gunline.

Cons:
- You're ultimately spending extra points on a Tau melee unit.
- He's very easy to ignore, since your enemy doesn't have to deep strike near him.
- Tau have no close combat units that can support him.
- His Sept keyword is Vior'la, which will cause problems when our Codex comes out if your detachment/army is not also Vior'la.

Indeed, the Vior’la thing has been on my mind. But who knows, maybe Vior’la will be the sept everyone wants to play?

I kind of imagined him just sitting in the back gunline or maybe moving forward with a drone blob and using him for heroic intervention.

Either way, he’s getting painted because he’s too badass not to own.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Dec 04 2017 07:17

stayhandsome wrote:Indeed, the Vior’la thing has been on my mind. But who knows, maybe Vior’la will be the sept everyone wants to play?

Ah, if that's true I know a lot of players will be very annoyed! :D

jens
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Dec 04 2017 07:33

Befiros wrote:In one of my games against marines with like 50 kroot, dogs and shapers he did great, killed some marines and help my kroot to stay in the field (20 kroot killed a dreadnought in one round of shooting and combat :D when that metal box assaulted them)

I have had a similar experience back in .. 6th .. I think, the SM player didnt see it comming, even though I told him about the miniture, I had to substitute him back then, fielded him with a bunch of kroot, expected it to go south, rolled kinda lucky, killed a tac squad with aun'shi and couple of kroot surviving, it was great .. and weird :D

Arka0415 wrote:- His Sept keyword is Vior'la, which will cause problems when our Codex comes out if your detachment/army is not also Vior'la.

This .. you can't help to expect certain things from our codex, right ?

Also why not a hover drone for him, that could be interesting.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Dec 04 2017 07:53

jens wrote:This .. you can't help to expect certain things from our codex, right ?

If players don't realize, it could be a problem. For example, if you include Aun'shi in a Tau Sept army, the detachment he is included in suddenly becomes factionless!

Garacaius
Shas

Post#12 » Dec 05 2017 11:48

Arka0415 wrote:
jens wrote:This .. you can't help to expect certain things from our codex, right ?

If players don't realize, it could be a problem. For example, if you include Aun'shi in a Tau Sept army, the detachment he is included in suddenly becomes factionless!

Factionless or cannot benefit from Sept abilities? Both?

Longstrike and Darkstrider come to mind.

“Just one game,” they said and started to play. That was yesterday...

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Dec 05 2017 11:56

Garacaius wrote:Factioness or cannot benefit from Sept abilities? Both?

Yeah, by "factionless" I meant "sept-less", i.e., they lose their Sept identity. If Aun'shi is in a detachment with, say, Sa'cea Fire Warriors, then it's not a Vior'la detachment or a Sa'cea detachment; it becomes a T'au Empire detachment. Still legal but nobody gets Sept bonuses.

Garacaius
Shas

Post#14 » Dec 06 2017 12:36

Okay, cool.

For me, Factionless means no longer Battle-Forged. I'm not sure that's accurate though.

“Just one game,” they said and started to play. That was yesterday...

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Dec 06 2017 02:29

Arka0415 wrote:
Garacaius wrote:Factioness or cannot benefit from Sept abilities? Both?

Yeah, by "factionless" I meant "sept-less", i.e., they lose their Sept identity. If Aun'shi is in a detachment with, say, Sa'cea Fire Warriors, then it's not a Vior'la detachment or a Sa'cea detachment; it becomes a T'au Empire detachment. Still legal but nobody gets Sept bonuses.

But the same is true of every special character in every army (except tyranids)

And atm we don't have sept bonuses so the only issue you will have is if you want to take Aun'Shi AND Aun'va / darkstrider / Shadowsun / Farsight.

As their abilities only work on models of the same Sept so Aun'va and Aun'Shi couldn't provide bonuses for the same units (they can't anyway but it removes a modicum of Tactical flexibility)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Dec 06 2017 03:10

Nymphomanius wrote:But the same is true of every special character in every army (except tyranids)

And atm we don't have sept bonuses so the only issue you will have is if you want to take Aun'Shi AND Aun'va / darkstrider / Shadowsun / Farsight.

Certainly, you're not wrong! I just figured it was worth pointing out.

Nymphomanius wrote:As their abilities only work on models of the same Sept so Aun'va and Aun'Shi couldn't provide bonuses for the same units (they can't anyway but it removes a modicum of Tactical flexibility)

Interestingly enough, Aun'va and Aun'shi aren't limited for the targets of their buffs. Aun'va is locked to T'au Sept, but his buffs effect all T'au Empire units. Same goes for Aun'shi, he's Vior'la, but his buffs can affect anyone.

So, if it turns out that Sept perks only impact, say, infantry and Battlesuits, then you could easily take a "Vior'la" Spearhead or Outrider Detachment with Aun'shi that's functionally identical to a T'au Sept detachment.

jens
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Dec 08 2017 05:00

Arka0415 wrote: Interestingly enough, Aun'va and Aun'shi aren't limited for the targets of their buffs. Aun'va is locked to T'au Sept, but his buffs effect all T'au Empire units. Same goes for Aun'shi, he's Vior'la, but his buffs can affect anyone.
So, if it turns out that Sept perks only impact, say, infantry and Battlesuits, then you could easily take a "Vior'la" Spearhead or Outrider Detachment with Aun'shi that's functionally identical to a T'au Sept detachment.

I think (and hope) that this is the reason behind GW releasing the white theme of Vior'la after years of orange T'au.
To slowly announce "The comming of septs". Preparing us that it is normal to only have one or to field more than one sept.
If they made it worth it, I would differently have a two sept army, one "patrol" up front in "Close" Combat, one raining fire from a distance.

Hmm cant remember, have Aun'shi always been Vior'la sept ? or is it a newer concept?

Another thing, he used to have inflitrate or scout - right ? I wonder why that was taken, maybe they took that away to give it to the sept.

Return to “Tau Tactics”