The Firesight Warlord

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
UrzuKais
Shas

The Firesight Warlord

Post#1 » Dec 05 2017 05:02

With the new warlord traits and the relic for T'au out of CA17, I feel it opens up a rather interesting choices for us as players, as they open up more ideas and combinations for us.

Picking a Warlord from your army can be any model, but picking a Character gives you benefits. Sure, every model (Save for drones) we can pick from the HQ slots are characters, but there are other Characters within our Army Roster. Notably the Kroot Shaper and Firesight Marksman.

Load Out: It's really simple. There's no options for him to take past his basic wargear. The only real thing to consider is whether you want to put the PEN on him and deploy him next to a Broadside or something. As for the Warlord Trait, Kauyon is the way to go. It's not like he's going to be moving around a lot anyway, so allowing you very accurate Markerlight hits is a plus.

But he's really weak to be a Warlord...
-Skeptic Player

True, he's not very resilient as a model by himself. But getting a +2 to his save when he's in cover is rather nice. Being a small model means LOS isn't a huge deal. And deploying a Drone squadron (Of any type you wish; I prefer Shield or Sniper drones with him) around him makes it even more difficult to target him flat out.

Wouldn't a Commander or Cadre or Ethereal make a better Warlord?
-Unconvinced Players

They might be, depending on what you're planning on doing with your army. But most Commanders are trying to get into your opponent's face, and Cadre and Ethereals are rather obvious choices. The Firesight Marksman can throw your opponent for a loop with being a bit confused as to why it's your Warlord, as well as be a rather low-priority target compared to the benefits that the other units provide. And, if any missions provide double or more points for slaying the Warlord, you're giving up almost nothing! And with being in the Elites slot, it can help fill out other rolls in Brigade or Vanguard detachment with ease.

That's great and all, but I feel that...
-Reasonable Discussion Players

You're welcome to your feelings and thoughts on this. In fact, I'd like to hear them! Please feel free to share here.

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Re: The Firesight Warlord

Post#2 » Dec 05 2017 05:34

Fairly sure that you can only take warlord traits on HQ choices. I suspect the same goes for the relics, but have no rule to back that up.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Dec 05 2017 05:50

You can take Warlord traits if your Warlord has the Character Keyword. Their battlefield role is not important :)
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

namegiver
Shas

Post#4 » Dec 05 2017 05:51

The same is true of Relics -- can be carried by a model with the CHARACTER keyword

UrzuKais
Shas

Post#5 » Dec 05 2017 06:27

Emberkahn wrote:Fairly sure that you can only take warlord traits on HQ choices. I suspect the same goes for the relics, but have no rule to back that up.

There's no restrictions within the BRB about which model can be nominated. A quote from page 186:
The Warlord
Once you have mustered your army, nominate one of your models to be your Warlord.

If your Warlord is a Character, it can use a Warlord Trait.

And the only restriction for Relics is based on if it's a Character. From CA17, page unknown (T'au rules page):
Relic
If your army is led by a T'au Empire Warlord, then you may give the following relic to a T'au Empire Character in your army.

Garacaius
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 06 2017 12:01

Mont'ka Warlord Trait might be good too. Remember that Sniper Drones have Rapid Fire Weapons, so you could creep behind your Fireblade plus Strike Teams and Gun Drones with XV8 Bodyguards with one having a Drone Controller.

“Just one game,” they said and started to play. That was yesterday...

UrzuKais
Shas

Post#7 » Dec 06 2017 03:59

Garacaius wrote:Mont'ka Warlord Trait might be good too. Remember that Sniper Drones have Rapid Fire Weapons, so you could creep behind your Fireblade plus Strike Teams and Gun Drones with XV8 Bodyguards with one having a Drone Controller.

That can work as well. I prefer the Kauyon trait over the Mont'ka trait for it only because the reroll on the Markerlight, or even his pistol if he ever gets assaulted, but I can see your point. It all depends on how you'd want to run the rest of your army honestly.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Dec 07 2017 03:41

You don't really get much of a benefit to picking firesight as your warlord except they're on a cheaper platform. They are considerably weaker than "traditional" hq options and you essentially "waste" the only decent warlord trait they have right now.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Return to “Tau Tactics”