Possible use for AFBs: bendy markerlights

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Orion7
Shas'Saal

Possible use for AFBs: bendy markerlights

Post#1 » Dec 07 2017 10:30

I've just been looking at the forge world index and have realised a nasty little loop hole exists. Whilst we talk about hidden markerlights in units such as fire warriors, this little trick should see us with a literally hidden markerlight, perfect for close range terrain heavy environments. It's not points efficient at all but allows units with SMS to have markerlight support.

The XV84 commander has a networked markerlight that triggers every time a weapon hits, automatically. It makes no mention of line of sight at all, or mention of wounds. Simply if you hit the target with a gun, apply an ML token. If the commander were equipped with AFB grenade launchers, he can fire up to 18" non-LOS with at least one hit almost guaranteed.
    Send in SMS and short medium range armed vehicles, longstrike and with XV84 commander support
    Kite opponent around terrain in move phase. They think they're safe
    Fire grenades. Maybe do a little damage
    Apply bendy laser market light token
    Apply ML stratagem for at least one extra token
    Launch seekers and SMS at bs2 rerolling ones.
    Laugh at damage.
    Continue to kite with SMS until bored.
    Engage crippled foe with medium range weapons

Thoughts? Not the most powerful or efficient but it's certainly a left field tactic that could throw an opponent with the earth caste's invention of bendy light... (Though my thinking is more like a tracking beacon sent up with the projectile more than an actual laser)

UrzuKais
Shas

Re: Possible use for AFBs: bendy markerlights

Post#2 » Dec 07 2017 02:40

It does at least sound like it's fun. You can even give a second AFP and hopefully target two units to apply ML hits on multiple units. And while it's not completely reliable when your reserves come in in Matched Play, you do have the option of Manta Strike in the back field to apply some MLs to rear units, maybe with some Marker Drones with him, for those Seeker Missiles to target tanks.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Dec 07 2017 07:54

Ha, that's an amusing little quirk. Not sure if it'd ever really come into play, but it's a funny idea!

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 07 2017 08:07

Arka0415 wrote:Ha, that's an amusing little quirk. Not sure if it'd ever really come into play, but it's a funny idea!

Especially as you need a *really* specific FW model who is pretty much never in stock

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Dec 07 2017 08:15

It's a little cheeky considering we know how marker lights are supposed to work.

A "bendy" markerlight wouldn't really be that useful though. Not for what you have to spend to get to do that.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Dec 07 2017 08:26

I'm mostly planning to do this to my friend who continuously moans about how cheesy and OP tau are in 8th, whilst fielding an adMec army that has a -1 to all incoming fire and rerolls all ones plus cants on top.

No tau are not cheesy in eighth, I had to specifically scour the rules to find even one exploit and look how limited it is- it works on your LoS shooty army and that's about it

Jhi'Myr
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 07 2017 08:35

UrzuKais wrote:It does at least sound like it's fun. You can even give a second AFP and hopefully target two units to apply ML hits on multiple units. And while it's not completely reliable when your reserves come in in Matched Play, you do have the option of Manta Strike in the back field to apply some MLs to rear units, maybe with some Marker Drones with him, for those Seeker Missiles to target tanks.

Networked Markerlight ability specifies "this ability may only apply a maximum of one Markerlight counter per phase." so no such luck on the second one. Still, an XV84 with the airbursting fragmentation projector, a hazzard with 4 marker drones, and you could deepstrike behind LOS blocking terrain with the drones on the other side of the terrain, get an expected average of 5 markerlights outside of line of sight, and then 2 could mean you can fire your skyray's payload on a rear support unit.

Probably more points efficient to use two hazzards with 4 marker drones each for the same expected average and still be able to deal some decent damage with the hazzards, where as you're not really going to damage much with the AFP.

T'au are SO overpowered. We gotta make sure that we get nerfed when 9th edition comes. :roll:

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Dec 07 2017 09:26

Jhi'Myr wrote:T'au are SO overpowered. We gotta make sure that we get nerfed when 9th edition comes. :roll:

Ack, don't say that! Someone from GW could be reading this! :D

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Dec 08 2017 01:07

Orion7 wrote:I'm mostly planning to do this to my friend who continuously moans about how cheesy and OP tau are in 8th, whilst fielding an adMec army that has a -1 to all incoming fire and rerolls all ones plus cants on top.

No tau are not cheesy in eighth, I had to specifically scour the rules to find even one exploit and look how limited it is- it works on your LoS shooty army and that's about it

What I mean is that the rule is clearly meant to mean that you have to be in LoS for the markerlight to hit.

You're friend is probably not going to find it amusing.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Dec 08 2017 03:46

AnonAmbientLight wrote:
Orion7 wrote:I'm mostly planning to do this to my friend who continuously moans about how cheesy and OP tau are in 8th, whilst fielding an adMec army that has a -1 to all incoming fire and rerolls all ones plus cants on top.

What I mean is that the rule is clearly meant to mean that you have to be in LoS for the markerlight to hit.

You're friend is probably not going to find it amusing.

Oh he will, we enjoy being ***** to each other :biggrin:

UrzuKais
Shas

Post#11 » Dec 08 2017 03:46

Jhi'Myr wrote:
UrzuKais wrote:It does at least sound like it's fun. You can even give a second AFP and hopefully target two units to apply ML hits on multiple units. And while it's not completely reliable when your reserves come in in Matched Play, you do have the option of Manta Strike in the back field to apply some MLs to rear units, maybe with some Marker Drones with him, for those Seeker Missiles to target tanks.

Networked Markerlight ability specifies "this ability may only apply a maximum of one Markerlight counter per phase." so no such luck on the second one. Still, an XV84 with the airbursting fragmentation projector, a hazzard with 4 marker drones, and you could deepstrike behind LOS blocking terrain with the drones on the other side of the terrain, get an expected average of 5 markerlights outside of line of sight, and then 2 could mean you can fire your skyray's payload on a rear support unit.

So it does. Missed that part in the excitement of the potential. Still, giving him a DC and 2 MDrones isn't half bad.

Jhi'Myr
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Dec 10 2017 04:29

It's 8E T'au. It's all half bad aside from Y'varahs, drones, and commanders. :sad: But this is at least a neat thing on par with the rest of our codex. If we got a markerlight ability to ignore LOS or character targeting rules though, this would be a right swift and clever way of getting somebody's Guilliman dead quick. It's an entertaining idea that I wish had some more merit.

Return to “Tau Tactics”