How did you counter Eldar

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
armisael
Shas'Saal
Posts: 44

How did you counter Eldar

Post#1 » Dec 09 2017 07:12

Today I have a friendly match with my friend.

He play eldar and he bring...
2 unit of dark reapers
1 unit of troop
1 night spinner
1 Hemlock wraithfighter
1 Farseer
1 Farseer on jet bike

It seem that his units are very effective.
a lot of phychic. heavy damage on firing. espescially his dark reaper and flyer.

Here are my unit
1 QFB commander
1 Cold star battlesuit
1 ghostkeel CIR and Burst cannon
1 unit of flamer crisis suit
2 unit of pathfinder
1 unit of burst cannon stealth suit

Fpc
Shas
Posts: 1

Re: How did you counter Eldar

Post#2 » Dec 09 2017 08:45

To take out the Hemlock, either Y’vahra, which on overcharge could one-shot it if you’re lucky or longstrike and maybe another hammerhead. Odds aren’t great on either, which sucks bc if you even bring it down to 1 wound, it’s still basically 100% effective bc it auto hits. In reality though, you might be better off ignoring it. It sounds ridiculous at first glance, but in a vacuum it should only average 4 damage. The Dark Reapers are probably a bigger threat, especially to Tau. Based on just your list, I think the QFC should be helpful against the Hemlock too. Even with it’s -1, if you drop closer than 9”, he should do good damage.

Against the Reapers, massed s5+ fire (which Tau has in spades) might be enough. At t3, they’re squishy even with a 3+ save. Force enough saves, and they die. If they're in cover for that 2+, marker lights to the level that ignores cover should help too. Also, if they’re in cover, I’m wondering if this is a useful application of plasma crisis? They’ll wound on 2s, force a 5+ save, and every failed wound will kill. Could be something to think about. Just watch, as eldar has a strategy that lets a unit fire (at anywhere on the board!) when a unit deploys with a deepstrike like ability. They have to be near a Farseer...but a smart opponent will make sure this is true. Some gun/shield drones could keep them safe. One last thing thinking of ignoring cover, this is somewhere Longstrike and Hammerheads with SMS could be useful. Lastly, remember that they never suffer to hit minuses...so stealth and Ghostkeel abilities won’t help :(

All of this is further compounded, of course, if he runs Alaitoc for the extra -1 over 12”. And also adds psychic powers for a further -1. It’s possible for Eldar to make themselves virtually unhitable to Tau :/

Perhaps the part that will feel the most unbalanced is your opponent will completely dominate the psychic phase, which is amazing for Eldar. Without even the threat of Deny, things will go off easily and without any chance of reprisal. Nothing you can really do here...

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 2755

Re: How did you counter Eldar

Post#3 » Dec 13 2017 09:46

Sorry I'm late to the discussion. I assume you had the battle already?

armisael
Shas'Saal
Posts: 44

Re: How did you counter Eldar

Post#4 » Dec 13 2017 10:09

Arka0415 wrote:Sorry I'm late to the discussion. I assume you had the battle already?


Yes, I had it already. unlucky, I have lost. but it was a fun game!

However, I still love to listen to your opinion. please share!

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 2755

Re: How did you counter Eldar

Post#5 » Dec 13 2017 11:03

armisael wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Sorry I'm late to the discussion. I assume you had the battle already?


Yes, I had it already. unlucky, I have lost. but it was a fun game!

However, I still love to listen to your opinion. please share!

Honestly your list looks good. Personally I'm not a fan of the Ghostkeel but if you like it do keep it in. Also, Flamer XV8s are really only viable against infantry, and with only one unit of Guardians on the board, they really won't be very useful. I'd definitely try to bring Gun Drones, and in a small list, possibly Shield Drones on the Stealthsuits. How many Drones did you include in the list?

For tactics, unless you think the Fusion Commander can bring down the Hemlock Wraithfighter in one turn, ignore the vehicles and focus on killing his Dark Reapers and Night Spinner. The Coldstar should try and use its quick move to hunt down one Fof the Farseers. Use your Drones to protect your units against Smite and try to get up close- the Eldar have essentially no melee ability, and you can out-shoot them at close range.

Of the units in your opponent's army, which proved to be the strongest?

armisael
Shas'Saal
Posts: 44

Re: How did you counter Eldar

Post#6 » Dec 14 2017 10:29

Arka0415 wrote:
armisael wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Sorry I'm late to the discussion. I assume you had the battle already?


Yes, I had it already. unlucky, I have lost. but it was a fun game!

However, I still love to listen to your opinion. please share!

Honestly your list looks good. Personally I'm not a fan of the Ghostkeel but if you like it do keep it in. Also, Flamer XV8s are really only viable against infantry, and with only one unit of Guardians on the board, they really won't be very useful. I'd definitely try to bring Gun Drones, and in a small list, possibly Shield Drones on the Stealthsuits. How many Drones did you include in the list?

For tactics, unless you think the Fusion Commander can bring down the Hemlock Wraithfighter in one turn, ignore the vehicles and focus on killing his Dark Reapers and Night Spinner. The Coldstar should try and use its quick move to hunt down one Fof the Farseers. Use your Drones to protect your units against Smite and try to get up close- the Eldar have essentially no melee ability, and you can out-shoot them at close range.

Of the units in your opponent's army, which proved to be the strongest?


I had brought 10 shield drone in total, no gun drone and 2 stealth drone from Ghostkeel.
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of gun drone.

The units that trouble me so much are Darkreaper and Hemlock Wraithfighter
My Ghostkeel was destroyed by turn 1 because of his Darkreaper. and Hemlock Wraithfighter is fast, hit hard and can cast smite!

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 2755

Re: How did you counter Eldar

Post#7 » Dec 24 2017 06:57

Sorry for the delay. Eldar are the one faction I really am not an expert at playing against, so I'm hesitant to give advice that could be incorrect.

If anyone on ATT has solid experience against Eldar, it would be greatly appreciated in this thread!

User avatar
Tommytau84
Shas'Saal
Posts: 4

Re: How did you counter Eldar

Post#8 » Dec 25 2017 09:15

I would say take lots of rail weapons if you can and seekers, mortal wounds are your friends against eldar.

He should be trying to keep his reapers out of range of most things, I tend to drop a QFB commander per unit with some shield drones nearby. You'll take out 3-4 of a 5 man unit on average which takes a lot of the long range firepower out of his army. One of the extra bonuses of doing that is then you give him something to worry about in his own deployment zone. Eldar don't tend to have many units so try to stretch them out across the board and focus on taking 2-3 units down a turn

Return to “Tau Tactics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests