Returning to Tau: Mechanized Infantry List Competitive?

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
gmaleron
Shas

Returning to Tau: Mechanized Infantry List Competitive?

Post#1 » Dec 09 2017 10:38

Hello everyone, after a long Hiatus due to work and Military duties I am finally looking at starting up a Tau Army once again. The original Force I had to sell due to some medical shenanigans but now I have thankfully saved up enough and I'm ready to serve the Farsight Enclaves once more.

Currently I am considering a Mechanized Infantry Tau list supported by big suits (Riptide or bigger) and I was hoping to hear some feedback in that regard. Looking for a list that would be decently competitive and from browsing on here I have gathered:

-Devilfish with Gun Drones instead of Smart Missiles due to savior protocols and not having to hit on 5's for moving.

-Breachers rule, especially 1 Devilfish with Darkstrider to make use of his ability.

-Pathfinder: Still unsure about these guys, worth taking? Also as Marker Light units or "Special Weapon Squads"?

If there is any other kind of form of feedback you could give me I would truly appreciate it. Thanks!

Shas'O Ora
Shas'Saal

Re: Returning to Tau: Mechanized Infantry List Competitive?

Post#2 » Dec 10 2017 03:32

Devilfish with Gun Drones instead of Smart Missiles due to savior protocols and not having to hit on 5's for moving.

Devilfish with Gun Drones could also refer to the Devilfish transporting 12 Gun Drones. A loadout which is said to be very effective, but I don´t have personal experience with this.

Breachers rule, especially 1 Devilfish with Darkstrider to make use of his ability.

According to Arka (where almost all of my knowledge is from :D ) 12 Breacher in a Devilfish are more cost efficient and with more shots better than 10 Breacher and Darkstrider.

Pathfinder: Still unsure about these guys, worth taking? Also as Marker Light units or "Special Weapon Squads"?

I use mine as "special weapons squads" with Ion Rifles and I like them. For the price they are really annoying for my Space Marine enemies :)

Quite sure more sound advices will come soon. :fear:

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#3 » Dec 10 2017 03:49

gmaleron wrote:Hello everyone, after a long Hiatus due to work and Military duties I am finally looking at starting up a Tau Army once again. The original Force I had to sell due to some medical shenanigans but now I have thankfully saved up enough and I'm ready to serve the Farsight Enclaves once more.

Currently I am considering a Mechanized Infantry Tau list supported by big suits (Riptide or bigger) and I was hoping to hear some feedback in that regard. Looking for a list that would be decently competitive and from browsing on here I have gathered:

-Devilfish with Gun Drones instead of Smart Missiles due to savior protocols and not having to hit on 5's for moving.

-Breachers rule, especially 1 Devilfish with Darkstrider to make use of his ability.

-Pathfinder: Still unsure about these guys, worth taking? Also as Marker Light units or "Special Weapon Squads"?

If there is any other kind of form of feedback you could give me I would truly appreciate it. Thanks!

The first thing to say is that if you play in a competitive environment then Tau will currently struggle - as do most of the armies that are still playing from an Index.

So far as I know some of the best Tau players are still out there using elements of mechanised Tau in their lists. Most likely mechanised unit being Gun Drones + Fireblade in a Devilfish with more Gun Drones. Drop in a suit with a Drone Controller and that can put a lot of firepower in the face of an opponent and the 'Fish can tie something up in combat.

Breachers in a fish also get a lot of love from people who play them. If is a one-shot unit and it struggles against any typical AM list that bubble-wraps the big guns with cheap dudes - you cannot afford to expend your one big hit against cheap dudes.

The big suits are largely over-costed right now; the Stormsurge less so than the Riptide. The FW big suits are another matter and the Y'vahra is our one strong big suit right now - very expensive but potentially devastating.

Pathfinders are good deep-strike blockers and are of course still good support units with their markerlights. I love the Rail Rifles but I will not claim that they are objectively the best option, they are just a lot of fun. A list using "normal" Tau units will need a fair amount of markerlight support to be able to mark one or two target units for destruction per turn.

Commander/Drone spam is probably more efficient on paper but at this point play what you want to play while we are all waiting for the codex to drop. If you are playing at a disadvantage you will have to learn to play that list really well - which should put you in a good position when the likely points/rules adjustments and stratagems etc come. How to build competitive Tau will presumably change with the codex and trying to predict whether mechanised infantry will be competitive is a fool's errand.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Dec 10 2017 07:01

The advice in this thread is all sound! Remember that the Codex isn't out yet, so this all could change. However, as the Index meta currently stands, Commander spam, Gun Drone spam, mechanized Breachers and Gun Drones, and Stealthsuits are all good. Here are the "good" units in the Tau army:

High-Tier Units:
- Commander w/ Fusion Blasters
- Commanders w/ Cyclic Ion Blasters
- Commanders w/ Missile Pods
- Fireblades
- Fire Warriors
- Breachers
- Devilfish
- XV8s w/ Cyclic Ion Blasters
- XV8s w/ Flamers
- Stealthsuits
- Pathfinders
- Pathfinders w/ Special Weapons
- Gun Drones

Make your army using those units and you can't really go wrong. Here are the units to especially avoid:

Low-Tier Units:
- Ethereals
- Kroot Carnivores
- XV8s w/ Missile Pods/Burst Cannons/Plasma Rifles
- Riptides
- Broadsides
- Razorshark Strike Fighters

Return to “Tau Tactics”