EWO on a Stormsurge an absolute MUST!

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Sheeb
Shas'Saal

EWO on a Stormsurge an absolute MUST!

Post#1 » Dec 27 2017 02:23

Can we all just take a brief moment to relish in the glory that is EWO on a Stormsurge. What a great deepstriking denial unit and if you deepstrike in too close, POW, POW POW x like 40 with no 6's only shenanigans like Overwatch does). It's great and a SG and EWO in my humble opinion are auto includes on the SS.

SS are absolute beasts on the table; as the should be. Witht he amount of units in the game that can pop up from anywhere the SS's 12' EWO is a sweet autotake every time. If nothing more than to prevent you from being deep striked then charged. You may get charged the following turn once they've moved closer to you buy hopefully you've shot them up a whole bunch.

Current SS load out is a PBC, with 2x BC, and EWO, SG, and ATS. 440 points well spent. What does it do? it shoots the Elite slots of your opponents army. I find T'au usually die to Elite category units because they usually have a high save and 2-3 wounds.

What are your thoughts on EWO and the Stormsurge?

GI-Redshirt
Shas'Saal

Re: EWO on a Stormsurge an absolute MUST!

Post#2 » Dec 27 2017 03:44

Generally, the loadout I've seen online for the Surge is Shield Gen and ATS are auto-include, with the third slot being a toss up between EWO and Stim. Personally I find that the Stim is the more reliable choice. A 6+ ignore damage is always useful no matter what army you're facing. The EWO, meanwhile, is a little more situational. Now, when it comes into play, it will do work. A free round of shooting against every single enemy unit that deep strikes within 12" of the Surge is fantastic. But if you're facing an army with minimal or no deep strikers, then its a waste of points. Also the 12" range on EWO means that its easy to beat by just DSing 12.1" away instead. This does make it an awesome area denial piece, keeping assault units out of charge range, Plasma out of rapid fire, melta out of range entirely, etc., but again this only works against DS heavy armies. Personally I'd rather have the Support System that I know will be of use and will definitely keep me on the board longer vs the Support System that requires my opponent to have a certain style of list in order to actually be used.

Granted, I haven't used a Surge yet, only just got one for Christmas and plan on trying him out today, so take that into consideration with my opinion.

Co0n
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Dec 28 2017 05:12

As I play mostly against Nids, the EWO on a SS is golden.
You increase your zoning bubble so much, it's not even funny (for my opponent :-P )

Sheeb
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 28 2017 10:06

Great thoughts GI. I see your point for the 6+ FNP. I guess I just place more value on the area denial aspect of the EWO. What are your thoughts on the two larger weapon choices?

Aedeeg
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Dec 28 2017 10:28

If only the SS had the Battlesuit keyword... Then it would be Godly

GI-Redshirt
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Dec 28 2017 11:28

Sheeb wrote:Great thoughts GI. I see your point for the 6+ FNP. I guess I just place more value on the area denial aspect of the EWO. What are your thoughts on the two larger weapon choices?

Oh don't get me wrong, against the right army the EWO is amazing. I personally just am not a huge fan of upgrades that require my opponent to build their list a certain way in order to be effective. If I'm playing my local Blood Angels player, you bet I'm taking an EWO on the Stormsurge. But if I'm playing against the Guard player, or one of the Ad Mech players, or the Ravenwing player, or the Death Guard player, its far less useful. Depends on your meta and what you plan on facing.

As for the big guns, the PBC wins out, pretty much every time. Starting with the PDC, it has great range, being able to reach out and touch anyone on the board, 72" is awesome standoff range. But, that's about all the PDC has going for it. The PDC is more than double the points cost compared to the PBC, and is very lackluster for what we get. D3 shots is simply too low (Sure its D6 against units with 10 or more models, but why exactly are you shooting a S 10 AP -4 D D6 weapon at a horde unit), and D6 damage is too variable on a BS 4+ model, especially for a weapon that costs almost 100 points by itself. I want to like the PDC, I really do, but the results are far too variable for the points we pay for it, it needs more reliable shooting and a points drop in order to be effective.

The PBC, on the other hand, is very nice. Sure the 30" range option is mediocre with only D1, but the 20" and 10" range options are fantastic, 4 S12 AP -3 (with ATS which you will have) D 3 shots or 2 S14 AP -5 D 6 shots is great, you're gonna reliably put the hurt on something every turn, with proper ML support. The main drawbacks on the PBC are the range and required mobility of this gun. Having to be within 20" to make the most of our shooting does put the Stormsurge almost too close for comfort. A proper screen of Drones or FW is all but required for a PBC Surge to ensure fast melee units cannot get within assault range of the Surge, and keep Meltas out of range and Plasma out of rapid fire. The other issue is that, odds are with the PBC you will never be able to make use of your stabilizing anchors. A PBC Surge should constantly be on the move, advancing forward to get in that 20" sweet spot, falling back to stay out of the enemy's threat range, maneuvering to ensure the screen is properly protecting it, etc. You're gonna likely be on the move all game, never giving you a chance to deploy those Anchors for the +1 to hit.

In the end, the PBC wins out over the PDC. The increased range the PDC offers simply cannot overcome the sheer improvement in reliability and killing potential that the PBC offers us.

Sheeb
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 28 2017 02:22

Well put! Those are my thoughts exactly. I never thought about the anchors and how you will need to be always moving to keep out of charge distance. BUT MAYBE that where an EWO helps ;)

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Dec 28 2017 05:30

I also believe shield generator and ATS are mandatory. EWO is on of the 3 best systems to consider for the 3rd slot. The other two are stim injector and velocity tracker.

In case you aren't aware: you can still choose medium range profile at 10" or less and long range mode at 20" or less. This because those profiles only have a maximum targeting range and not a minimum assigned range. Its similar to deciding wether or not to overcharge. This is important if you want to capitalize on PBC usage. It allows the SS to shoot horde and elites units that get close. If the opponent gets the SS into combat, you can fall back an inch and shoot all weapons without movement penalty (walking battleship).

Other things worth noting. Anchors prevent the storm surge from fighting in combat. ATS affects it's "close combat weapon profile". The SS doesn't have Greater Good.

Rathstar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jan 03 2018 10:38

I'm another one in the camp that the EWO is too situational. My main concern is that the EWO only has a range of 12" from the Stormsurge, and the Stormsurge should not be on the front of your lines, and should have some bubble wrap to prevent charges. And I say that using the shorter ranged Blastcannon.

Although it deters units deepstriking near the Stormsurge, it doesn't stop deepstriking elsewhere. If a unit is 2" in front of the Stormsurge, with the size of that units base the enemy can still deepstrike just outside 9" of that unit while being 12" away from the Stormsurge.

Yes the EWO will probably deter a deepstrike and charge directly against the Stormsurge, but you should already have units in the way to prevent that, and it doesn't prevent charges against much else unless the whole unit is extremely close to the Stormsurge.

For the 3rd slot Stims works nearly all the time (when does a Stormsurge not take some damage) and Velocity Tracker greatly improves damage output against a large number of units (the FLY keyword is quite common now). Personally I prefer the Velocity Tracker thinking the extra damage output (although not all the time) against fast moving units (eg. jump packers, skimmers, jetbikes etc.) is better than the slight defensive increase that Stims give.

About the only useful thing EWO stops is deepstriking meltaguns against the Stormsurge, but I'm sure they'll be other targets for the deepstriking meltaguns, and lascannons/missile launchers/dark lances etc. will still be main bane of Stormsurges.

Sheeb
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jan 03 2018 10:53

Yes the EWO will probably deter a deepstrike and charge directly against the Stormsurge, but you should already have units in the way to prevent that, and it doesn't prevent charges against much else unless the whole unit is extremely close to the Stormsurge.

Great point. I'm thinking i can make my own EWO with a few units drones bubble wrapping the SS. And that would free up another slot for a VT or SI.

Thanks!

QimRas
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Jan 03 2018 01:42

I can't attest to its usefulness in Matched Play, but in a Planetstrike game all INFANTRY and FLY units on the Attacker side get a 6" Deep Strike. Considering this, unit like the Stormsurge which can fit a EWO are prime for forcing the Attacker to deploy farther back than normal. So far, we are the only faction with a Deep Strike interrupt that is not Strategem based, and all of those also only work against a single target. EWO works against all targets with no CP cost. So yeah, taking a Stormsurge on the Defender side is almost a no-brainer.

Aelfwyrd
Shas

Post#12 » Jan 03 2018 01:53

I played deathwatch against a guy running commanders and a stormsurge. 50pl tournament. The corvus, a razorback, and a squad with 4 frag cannons reduced it to one wound by the end if turn two. Being on the other end of a stormsurge made me realize I shouldn't ever buy one unless it's reduced in cost or given a better bs. It'd rather use those points/power levels for something useful. More fire warrior squads, more stealth suits, more drones. Volume of fire seems to be the most competitive right now and while it puts out a decent amount of shots it doesn't compare to two or three fire warriors squads, Pathfinder squad, and a cadre fireblade in my opinion. Infiltrating stealthsuits seems to be a fair alpha strike deterrence all on it's own

Return to “Tau Tactics”