Two unit questions

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Orion7
Shas'Saal

Two unit questions

Post#1 » Dec 27 2017 08:42

Which piranha variant is worth it? The TX4 or TX42?

Could someone help me with the stats on that please?

Secondly, someone made an off hand comment a while back that I took a liking to: coldstar with DC and TL mantra striking in then kiting a swarm of stealthed remoras all around the table. Now this sounds wonderful fun and whilst I don't care if it's not massively competitive, I also don't fancy getting tabled in a turn. How bad an idea is this?

Limitations? You mean you don't want Fido the kroot hound as a character?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Two unit questions

Post#2 » Dec 28 2017 08:14

Orion7 wrote:Which piranha variant is worth it? The TX4 or TX42?

Could someone help me with the stats on that please?

The TX4 is the regular Piranha. It's a decent unit with good firepower, but it's fragile and easy to kill. Piranhas are good ways to get Seeker Missiles though, so if you're trying to make a Seeker Missile spam list Piranhas may be useful.

The TX42 carries two special weapons compared to the regular Piranha, but it's much more expensive (in points). Generally it's not a good choice.

Orion7 wrote:Secondly, someone made an off hand comment a while back that I took a liking to: coldstar with DC and TL mantra striking in then kiting a swarm of stealthed remoras all around the table. Now this sounds wonderful fun and whilst I don't care if it's not massively competitive, I also don't fancy getting tabled in a turn. How bad an idea is this?

You won't get tabled, but that strategy sounds a bit gimmicky to me. Remoras can be great for guarding a Coldstar, but (personally) I don't think that a large group of them is a good idea.

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Two unit questions

Post#3 » Dec 29 2017 04:51

Arka0415 wrote:
Orion7 wrote:Secondly, someone made an off hand comment a while back that I took a liking to: coldstar with DC and TL mantra striking in then kiting a swarm of stealthed remoras all around the table. Now this sounds wonderful fun and whilst I don't care if it's not massively competitive, I also don't fancy getting tabled in a turn. How bad an idea is this?

You won't get tabled, but that strategy sounds a bit gimmicky to me. Remoras can be great for guarding a Coldstar, but (personally) I don't think that a large group of them is a good idea.

It's not as bad as it sounds. Remoras have a native BS 4+, so BS 3+ with a drone controller and BS 2+ re-rolled with markerlights. It makes them surprisingly good seeker missile delivery systems and scary even with just the burst cannons. Not Hazard suit or gun drone level of scary, but enough to make people think twice about them.

They are also super mobile. They have a minimum 20" movement, but in any direction.

So they aren't amazing, but I've played some games with them and done enough damage to consider them a worthwhile investment.

Cheers!

Return to “Tau Tactics”