Open / narrative allies shenanigans

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Open / narrative allies shenanigans

Post#1 » Dec 28 2017 08:46

So in matched all units have to have a matching faction keyword.

In open and narrative the same is only true of a detachment your army can include units of any factions.

An interesting wording on an astra millitarum stratagem take cover.

When an enemy selects a friendly unit as a target in the shooting phase. That unit gets +1 to saving throws until the end of the phase.

It specifically doesn't state astra millitarum you can use it on any unit, so take a small detachment for the ability to unlock AM stratagems and troll with a 3++ om your Stormsurge or get your biggest troll face out for a 2++ Riptide with nova reactor :eek: :P

Reaper13
Shas

Re: Open / narrative allies shenanigans

Post#2 » Feb 16 2018 11:11

Good idea, but It adds to saving throws, not invulnerable, and an invulnerable cannot be increased to more than a 3++.
"All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Feb 17 2018 12:03

Reaper13 wrote:Good idea, but It adds to saving throws, not invulnerable, and an invulnerable cannot be increased to more than a 3++.

Some abilities specifically state that a particular invulnerable save cannot be improved beyond 3++, but I don't believe there's a hard-and-fast rule that does this for all units.

nic
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#4 » Feb 17 2018 02:41

There are probably some really good combos for narrative play but this one was addressed by FAQ already.

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-c ... rum_en.pdf

Take Cover only applies to Astra Militarum Infantry.

LordValandil
Shas

Post#5 » Feb 17 2018 03:31

If you want something nasty to think of, FTGG activates on any charging target, not just friendly. So in a free 4 all you're enemy could be charging something else and you can join in for free shooting! Probably won't happen a lot, but I think that's pretty cool! :biggrin:

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Feb 20 2018 10:48

Open / narrative play -- Shenanigans..

This is a contradictory statement right there...

nic
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#7 » Feb 20 2018 01:54

StealthKnightSteg wrote:Open / narrative play -- Shenanigans..

This is a contradictory statement right there...

It is a pretty strange thing to be doing - if done for game advantage.

On the other hand I quite fancy getting my Kroot Korsairs (Kroot based Eldar Corsair conversions) out for a little action and I am aware that taking the Void Dreamer as a Farseer (the nearest equivalent in 8th) opens up some combo nastiness. Putting Doom on a target unit then hitting it with massed Rail Rifles could get nasty very fast. I am really not sure if that is a bit too cheesy for me - much as I want to put those conversion on the table.

Return to “Tau Tactics”