Beginner Player Building 1000 Point Semi-Comp Army

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
3antar
Shas

Beginner Player Building 1000 Point Semi-Comp Army

Post#1 » Dec 31 2017 05:32

Hey guys, so recently got into the hobby about a month ago and have stumbled upon many T'au models. I currently only play with friends but at times we can get very competitive. For the most part I seem to be fine and have been efficient against most of my friends except one who plays Blood Angels.

We normally play objective based games so I try to play heavy infantry but for some reason I can never get them to connect due to the fact that they are gunned down by a heavy Imperium gun line before I can reach any objective. I typically see about 3-4 Dreadnoughts in a match paired with Transport vehicles which typically tends to draw my fire.

The models I own are:

1x Ethereal
1x Cadre Fireblade
21x Fire Warriors (Strike Team) w/ 2 SMS
10x Pathfinder Team
6x XV8 Crisis Suits
1x TX4 Piranha
1x TX7 Hammerhead Gunship
2x Broadside Battlesuits
23x Drones (Some are support drones but can by proxied into gun drones if needed)

From reading up on different builds on this site, I can already tell that my list of units isn't very competitive. It seems the new meta is a heavy Commander build so I could proxy the Crisis Suits or Broadsides as commanders. Since I play with friends, they don't get bothered with proxies. Anyways, I have a hard time trying to build 1000 points while being mobile enough to capture objectives while also being strong enough to handle the heavy gun line by the Imperium.

Any tips and suggestions would be nice! Thanks again guys!

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Re: Beginner Player Building 1000 Point Semi-Comp Army

Post#2 » Dec 31 2017 06:19

Consider trying to get your hands on longstrike upgrade (either by proxy, converting, or by buying the lil dude). You will get better use of the hammer head tank. It's the quickest and cheapest power upgrade I can immediately spot. Tank ace is a great ability that buffs his seeker missles (or attached gundrones), and he receives a buff from his own fire class exemplar abilty. It's damage output is roughly on par with a commander with 3 cyclic ion blasters and an ats.

As for commander proxies. 4 fusion blasters is great for targets with 7 armor. The cyclic ion blaster commander I referenced earlier is a decent all-around unit. For your models, I would recommend proxing the [reccommend two] fusion blasters commanders only since your infantry can handle infantry well. Fusion blasters commanders would help cover elites and armored targets.

gunrock
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 01 2018 10:21

3antar wrote:Hey guys, so recently got into the hobby about a month ago and have stumbled upon many T'au models. I currently only play with friends but at times we can get very competitive. For the most part I seem to be fine and have been efficient against most of my friends except one who plays Blood Angels.

We normally play objective based games so I try to play heavy infantry but for some reason I can never get them to connect due to the fact that they are gunned down by a heavy Imperium gun line before I can reach any objective. I typically see about 3-4 Dreadnoughts in a match paired with Transport vehicles which typically tends to draw my fire.

The models I own are:

1x Ethereal
1x Cadre Fireblade
21x Fire Warriors (Strike Team) w/ 2 SMS
10x Pathfinder Team
6x XV8 Crisis Suits
1x TX4 Piranha
1x TX7 Hammerhead Gunship
2x Broadside Battlesuits
23x Drones (Some are support drones but can by proxied into gun drones if needed)

From reading up on different builds on this site, I can already tell that my list of units isn't very competitive. It seems the new meta is a heavy Commander build so I could proxy the Crisis Suits or Broadsides as commanders. Since I play with friends, they don't get bothered with proxies. Anyways, I have a hard time trying to build 1000 points while being mobile enough to capture objectives while also being strong enough to handle the heavy gun line by the Imperium.

Any tips and suggestions would be nice! Thanks again guys!

Hey Buddy! Just another Shas here (I'm sure others will drop in to offer more feedback), but here's a basic starting point based on what is strong at the moment. (Fireblades, strike teams, Pathfinders (with or without special weapons), Drones, Longstrike and Commanders). Here's a list I threw together (not sure what your running at the moment):

Battalion + Outrider Detachment (7 command points)
1000 pts.

Battalion Detachment:
HQ:
Longstrike - Railgun + 2x gun drone (191 pts.)
Cadre Fireblade - Markerlight, Pulse rifle, Grenades (42 pts.)
Troops:
Strike team - 5x pulse rifle, 1x Markerlight (43 pts.)
Elites:
XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (x3) - 6x CIB, 3x ATS, 6x gun drones (306 pts.)

Outrider Detachment:
HQ:
Commander- 4 x Fusion Blaster, 2x Shield drones (176 pts.)
Fast Attack:
Pathfinder team - 5x pulse carbine, 5x markerlight (40 pts.)
Pathfinder team - 2x pulse carbine, 2x markerlight, 3x ion rifle (52 pts.)
tactical drones (4x) - 8x pulse carbine (32 pts.)

This is about what I would run with the models you listed. If your group is alright with proxy's running some XV-8's as commanders would be a huge boon. It sounds like your dealing with a lot of heavy armor in your playgroup and our best answer is the quad fusion commander (with longstrike second). Longstrike is a bit more durable, but the damage output on the commander is MUCH higher. If you find your still getting pummeled running a second commander might be a good call. Since drones can score now they make solid objective grabbers as they move just a bit quicker, have assault weapons, and can act as extra wounds for your forward xv-8's. In line with 3antar's suggestions, running CIB's with ATS on the XV-8 should give you a strong weapon against MEQ that can double as anti-armor/anti-elite (Same with the pathfinder ion rifles). The other strong setup is 3x flamers, but seeing as your not running stealth suits I'm apprehensive to suggest them.

Hope this helps, or at least provides a starting point for building a list to stop your friends! :P

Obviously there's a multitude of options. What are you currently running?
All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; Unto the place whither the rivers go, Thither they go again.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jan 03 2018 09:06

gunrock wrote:Battalion + Outrider Detachment (7 command points)
1000 pts.

Battalion Detachment:
HQ:
Longstrike - Railgun + 2x gun drone (191 pts.)
Cadre Fireblade - Markerlight, Pulse rifle, Grenades (42 pts.)
Troops:
Elites:
XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (x3) - 6x CIB, 3x ATS, 6x gun drones (306 pts.)

Outrider Detachment:
HQ:
Commander- 4 x Fusion Blaster, 2x Shield drones (176 pts.)
Fast Attack:
Pathfinder team - 5x pulse carbine, 5x markerlight (40 pts.)
Pathfinder team - 2x pulse carbine, 2x markerlight, 3x ion rifle (52 pts.)

Fantastic list! When I read 3antar's model list I thought of a configuration like this, then scrolled down to find that you'd already written it up gunrock! Great work. This list is great as-is.

Personally though, I do like using Seeker Missiles on Longstrike, so you could drop a few Gun Drones to make that change work. Maybe something like this?

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (201)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)

Total: 1002 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Return to “Tau Tactics”