Sky Ray's

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Sky Ray's

Post#1 » Jan 02 2018 01:30

Has anyone been using Sky Ray's at all?

I'm up against a Ravensguard player this w/e who uses terminators and I'm thinking this might be a good time to try out my Sky Ray. The no-save mortal wounds effect of the missiles coupled with a Markerlight Uplink stratagem could be an effective ploy.

Against orks a Sky Ray's missiles look silly. Vs high value targets like termies less so? :crafty:

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Re: Sky Ray's

Post#2 » Jan 02 2018 03:06

K'Pokk wrote:Has anyone been using Sky Ray's at all?

I'm up against a Ravensguard player this w/e who uses terminators and I'm thinking this might be a good time to try out my Sky Ray. The no-save mortal wounds effect of the missiles coupled with a Markerlight Uplink stratagem could be an effective ploy.

Against orks a Sky Ray's missiles look silly. Vs high value targets like termies less so? :crafty:

Because if you hit with all 6 Seeker Missiles you will kill 3 terminators and be left with basically 2 gun drones and 2 pathfinders vs that last terminator to cost the same points.

Maybe a squad of Devastators with Lascannons or 5 death company with jump pack and thunder hammer.

But most games it just will not make back it's points

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Jan 02 2018 04:53

Nymphomanius wrote:Because if you hit with all 6 Seeker Missiles you will kill 3 terminators and be left with basically 2 gun drones and 2 pathfinders vs that last terminator to cost the same points.

Maybe a squad of Devastators with Lascannons or 5 death company with jump pack and thunder hammer.

But most games it just will not make back it's points

It depends. One thing that's nice is that, at BS 3+, you can get to 2+ rerolled with the missiles, so you can be super accurate.

Obviously if you have high value targets, shoot them with the seeker missiles. Terminators are not the best targets. One thing to keep in mind though, is that if you aren't going to finish off the target with the rest of your army, it's not worth it as much.

Something to try out is 2 sky rays. 12 seeker missiles can actually kill things by themselves. It's pretty awesome. It's also fun to shoot monsters like Magnus.

Cheers!

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 03 2018 11:37

Struggling to find a use for skyrays and seeker missiles in general.

Hoping the codex will fix the seekers then the skyray might be useful...

T.Wiseau
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 04 2018 04:19

K'Pokk wrote:Struggling to find a use for skyrays and seeker missiles in general.

Hoping the codex will fix the seekers then the skyray might be useful...

Maybe they could make seeker missiles D3 dmg and Destroyer missiles 3 dmg? That wouldn't feel to broken I think.
It's not true, it's bullsh*t I did not overheat, I did not! Oh Hi MARKerlight!

AngryMook
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 04 2018 10:43

Seeker missiles are fine as they are (pretty point efficient as long as you aren't shooting at cheap infantry), you just need the right list (taking a bunch of fish or hammerheads anyways? Take a bunch!) and targets.

The skyray is a bit goofy though because it doesn't do much aside from shoot seekers (as opposed to also having a main tank gun or being a transport). If the opponent has the right target(s), it's pretty great. If they don't it's never going to get its points back. However, keep in mind that more gun drones are rarely a bad thing, and that once it's shot if it's missiles (probably first or second turn) it is a more reliable markerlight source (than anything but fireblades) that is going to be very low on the target priority list, even if it's your only vehicle.

That being said, the skyray probably needs a mediocre backup weapon system or a point drop to be seen more regularly.

Return to “Tau Tactics”