It it worth it to field small numbers of vehicles?

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: It it worth it to field small numbers of vehicles?

Post#19 » Jan 04 2018 09:11

I've found that fielding small numbers of vehicles without the presence of a really threatening target in your army causes them to be popped like a balloon against any ranged army worth it's salt. If you have a couple of devilfish with breachers inside and a Y'Vahra, the devilfish have a fairly decent chance of coming out alive. Barring that however, any hammerheads you have will get destroyed in turn 1/2. Devilfish tend to live a little longer due to a lower threat profile, but again, without a big threat like a Y'Vahra they'll go down faster than you can say T'au va!

My conclusion is that if you take them, you take something much bigger and meaner to ensure the target sign on the hull is moved to something more survivable. Otherwise they're wasted points. Even longstrike. Even if Longstrike/Hammerheads get a significant buff, I can't see myself using them in numbers less than 3/4 because of this reason.

Hope this helps!

R'Kai
Playing with a short reach since 2007 :crafty:

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#20 » Jan 04 2018 06:46

So, given that most of us agree that 1-2 vehicles are probably not worth it in large games, here's another question:

What's the largest game size in which you'd be willing to field only a single vehicle? 500 points? 750 points?

Duckumentary
Shas

Post#21 » Jan 05 2018 01:20

So far in 8th edition I have not taken to fielding any vehicles. The reason for this is in my mind, if I was running a vehicle heavy list it would necessitate two factors.

The first would be that I am trying to protect something of equally high toughness by drawing fire from it. Since Riptide's and Ghostkeels have drone protection, this would mean I am fielding a Devilfish with the intention of taking pressure off a Stormsurge or Hammerhead by being a fast moving threat.

The second would be seeker missile redundancy. These seem to be a solid alpha strike mechanic, which when combined with regular firepower should be enough to threaten even a Primarch warp-timing their way across the battle field towards you.

At the end of the day, this sounds fun but isn't my particular play style because at the end of the day this alpha strike set up leaves the Tau player vulnerable to an alpha strike himself. Even with EWO and other such area denial, several well placed Lascannons will be more than enough to cripple this build if you don't receive first turn. This is also dependent on Markerlights, which albeit I consider a necessity even if infantry / battlesuit heavy lists, I understand it is still a weakness in itself.

One consideration also is something I have not seen mentioned thus far -- Cover. Cover is less important than it used to be, but can be the difference between the Stormsurge maintaining it's 2+ save or have it lowered to a 3+ or less. A shield generator is vital to the vehicles survival. However the way the rules are written, it says that a non-infantry unit will only receive the +1 armor bonus if they are (entirely) within cover and also 50% obscured. This can be difficult to achieve, however when combined with a Devilfish screen they can quickly gain that benefit, perhaps putting pressure on your opponent to remove the vehicle chassis first.

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#22 » Jan 08 2018 12:59

I've had a surprising amount of success running 3 Devilfish loaded with pathfinders/breachers. Largely, it is the redundancy of running three of the same tank. I also use an Y'vahra, and that often takes the heat of my opponent's main guns, especially for the first turn. Clever opponents gun for the Devilfish instead, but I've found that they'll only kill 1 and damage 1. And that leaves the rest of my army unharmed.

At 500 or 750, I think you could do it. There isn't enough firepower on the board to reliably alpha strike it. However, even at 1000 points, I feel much more comfortable with three chassis than with 1-2. At this level, I've faced things like three Dunecrawlers and it they will shred a Devilfish or too a turn.

Cheers!

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Jan 08 2018 03:26

shasocastris wrote:I've had a surprising amount of success running 3 Devilfish loaded with pathfinders/breachers. Largely, it is the redundancy of running three of the same tank. I also use an Y'vahra, and that often takes the heat of my opponent's main guns, especially for the first turn. Clever opponents gun for the Devilfish instead, but I've found that they'll only kill 1 and damage 1. And that leaves the rest of my army unharmed.

That's great to hear! I tried a list like that (3 devilfishes, Y'vraha, a bunch of battlesuits) some time ago, but I couldn't quite get it to work, so it's great to see success.
Out of interest, what else did you put in your list, and what was the pathfinder/breacher split??

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#24 » Jan 08 2018 05:06

Watcher on the wall wrote:That's great to hear! I tried a list like that (3 devilfishes, Y'vraha, a bunch of battlesuits) some time ago, but I couldn't quite get it to work, so it's great to see success.
Out of interest, what else did you put in your list, and what was the pathfinder/breacher split??

The pathfinder breacher split is 6 and 6 , with three pathfinders having rail or ion rifles.

Other things include the Y'vahra, three hazards, an xv84 commander with missile pods, 1-2 fusion commanders and a smattering of cadre fireblades or firesight marksmen.

Cheers!

Return to “Tau Tactics”