New Player - up against Astra Militarium

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Sean_da_sheep
Shas

New Player - up against Astra Militarium

Post#1 » Jan 03 2018 04:21

I'm a new Tau player and soon I'm going to go against my friend who plays as Astra Militarium. My army consists of (or will soon consist of):
1X Ethereal
10X Fire Warriors ( Breacher team)
10X Pathfinders
3X Crisis Battlesuits w/ Fusion blasters, missile pods & Counterfire defense systems
1X TY7 devilfish
15X assorted drones (including support turret and recon drone)
1X TX4 piranha w/ Fusion blasters

My friend's army has (from what I know)
2x Leman Russ Tanks
20X Cadian Shock Troops
2X heavy weapon team
5X Cadian command squad
1X Valkyrie
(note: he won't use all of it but I need to be prepared)

I feel threatened especially by the Leman Russes as they are cheap but powerful and he probably still would be able to deploy them on a point limit. If anyone has any tactics I could use to effectively fight back that would be great thanks.

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Re: New Player - up against Astra Militarium

Post#2 » Jan 03 2018 05:18

Jump in with as many fusion blasters you can muster and destroy those Russ's. You are right to respect them - depends on which mission you play though and whether there is plenty of blocking terrain to hide behind.

Chances are he will use his cadians to bubble wrap the tanks from harm...

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Jan 03 2018 08:27

Sean_da_sheep wrote:1X Ethereal
10X Fire Warriors ( Breacher team)
10X Pathfinders
3X Crisis Battlesuits w/ Fusion blasters, missile pods & Counterfire defense systems
1X TY7 devilfish
15X assorted drones (including support turret and recon drone)
1X TX4 piranha w/ Fusion blasters

My friend's army has (from what I know)
2x Leman Russ Tanks
20X Cadian Shock Troops
2X heavy weapon team
5X Cadian command squad
1X Valkyrie

Your friend has a collection of very solid units- Leman Russes are fantastic vehicles and Valkyries are hard to deal with. Your army will be hard-pressed to deal with it, as your army lacks strong anti-vehicle and anti-infantry units. Don't take this personally, but your army is ill-equipped to fight an Imperial Guard force like that. If your models (XV8 and Piranha) are magnetized, then definitely switch out the wargear. If not, then just ignore WYSIWYG until you can properly change the loadouts. It looks like you have enough models to field a solid 750-point list: here's a way to switch the wargear to field a more tactically-viable setup:

-

HQ - Ethereal w/ Honor Blade (45)
Troops - 9x Breachers; 2x Gun Drones (88)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Fusion Blasters, 3x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (327)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - Piranha w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (71)

Total: 750 - Command Points: 4 (1 Outrider Detachment)

-

The idea is to "min-max" your build with units filling anti-infantry or anti-tank roles. Note that the XV8s carry short-ranged anti-tank weapons and backup Flamers while the Piranha carries all anti-infantry weapons.

Anyway, what do you think?

Sean_da_sheep
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 04 2018 03:54

Thanks for your help guys, I think my friend is cool to let me proxy some wargear (note: only just figured out what proxy means so pardon me if I misuse it) so I think I'll drop my XV8s in right next to the tanks (9" away of course) fire with everything, then make the charge at them and maybe do some damage in melee (*maybe*) whilst my Devilfish drops the breacher team off, supported by the TX4 Piranha, to engage the Cadians. Meanwhile, my pathfinders will fire markerlights for seeker missiles and better hits :D . If this tactic doesn't work in your mind, please tell me.
P.S. my friend said he'd go easy on me and not use the Valkyrie but he didn't promise anything about the Leman Russes

Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 04 2018 05:09

Hello, recently I struggle with the Leman Russ dilemma too.
I think that the main problem with them are the T8, which our army have little weapons to deal with.
Ions (in the form of Ion rifles and Cyclic Ion Blasters) are good. Fusion Blasters of course.
I started a thread about the topic. Feel free to contribute to it and read. The boys says pretty interesting things.
The thread about Lemans: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=26938

Greetings!

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Jan 04 2018 06:02

Sean_da_sheep wrote:I think I'll drop my XV8s in right next to the tanks (9" away of course) fire with everything, then make the charge at them and maybe do some damage in melee (*maybe*) whilst my Devilfish drops the breacher team off, supported by the TX4 Piranha, to engage the Cadians. Meanwhile, my pathfinders will fire markerlights for seeker missiles and better hits :D . If this tactic doesn't work in your mind, please tell me.

That's exactly how it's done. Though remember- the point of battlesuit melee isn't to deal damage (3 XV8s should deal 0-1 wounds in melee), but rather to prevent the target from shooting in its next shooting phase, as it must first fall back. This isn't something you should do all the time though- be careful of getting too close to enemy units, especially massed Imperial Guard infantry.

Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jan 04 2018 03:44

Arka0415 wrote:
Sean_da_sheep wrote:I think I'll drop my XV8s in right next to the tanks (9" away of course) fire with everything, then make the charge at them and maybe do some damage in melee (*maybe*) whilst my Devilfish drops the breacher team off, supported by the TX4 Piranha, to engage the Cadians. Meanwhile, my pathfinders will fire markerlights for seeker missiles and better hits :D . If this tactic doesn't work in your mind, please tell me.

That's exactly how it's done. Though remember- the point of battlesuit melee isn't to deal damage (3 XV8s should deal 0-1 wounds in melee), but rather to prevent the target from shooting in its next shooting phase, as it must first fall back. This isn't something you should do all the time though- be careful of getting too close to enemy units, especially massed Imperial Guard infantry.

Yeah. And Leman with flamers.
And remember that Astra have an stratagem or order or something that allow him to fall back and shoot.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Jan 04 2018 06:42

Kerrygan wrote:And remember that Astra have an stratagem or order or something that allow him to fall back and shoot.

Oh yeah, I forgot they had that. Another reason to focus down units one at a time.

Return to “Tau Tactics”