First games of 8th Edition - T’au against Kharn

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Cathar
Shas

First games of 8th Edition - T’au against Kharn

Post#1 » Jan 07 2018 09:55

(Hope this is the right place, figured it fits better here than battle reports)

Hi all,

Just finished my first afternoon of 8th edition practice games with my new, semi-assembled and unpainted T’au against my friend’s World Eaters, made up solely of unpainted models and proxies (we were eager to get to playing).

Introduction
These were our first games since 4th and 2nd edition, respectively, so we were very rusty and I’m sure did close to everything wrong. Still a very interesting and fun experience, and we’re both looking forward to more. I thought a quick write-up of the experience might be interesting for other new players, and maybe for you veterans as well.
TL; DR: Had some fun 8th ed games. Kharn seems unbeatable to me, looking forward to becoming better and proving myself wrong. For more, continue into this wall of text:

The Armies
We played several loadouts between 500 and 650ish points. Don’t have exact army lists handy now, mostly because we changed small loadout things between games.

T’au
  • 1-2 3x Stealth suits, various loadouts
  • 10 Pathfinders
  • 3x Crisis (first with 3xFlamers, then 2xFlamers+ATS) with 6 Gundrones
  • Coldstar Commander (proxied for 4x Fusion commander in last game)

World Eaters
  • Kharn
  • 6-9 Berzerkers, most of the time with Chainaxes, champion with various weapon options
  • Rhino for Kharn+Berzerkers
  • 2 Helbrutes, various loadouts

The games
We played on a small battlefield with lots of line of sight blocking terrain and cover, which probably helped him a lot more than me. I never really managed to set up good kill corridors or traps without sacrificing a unit of mine to the berzerker ball.
We played the Only War scenario from the quick start rules, but experimented with the different deployment options from the big rulebook, as that seemed straightforward enough and looked more fun than just setting up opposite each other.

Take-away
Quick aside on 8th edition: Games were quick, and a lot more dynamic and interactive than I remember from 4th (although I only played a few games back then as well, so my experience is limited). I play Infinity and Anima: Tactics as well, and while the 8th ed games are not as diverse and interactive as those systems, it was very entertaining. I am sad to see templates go. placing blast and flamer templates on miniatures and watching them disappear beneath them was always a joy.
I do think I lost most of the games, did have a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to some bigger games, hopefully I can use the synergy of T’au better with multiple avenues of support.
Overall, without wanting to use it as an excuse for my losses, T’au seemed a lot harder to play than Marines. He basically rolled up the Rhino as far as it would take him, unloaded and proceeded to slaughter anything coming into contact with either Kharn, his Berzerkers, or both. All the while the Helbrutes fired into me with abandon. All on 3+s.
Meanwhile, I need to jump the Coldstar across the battlefield, get Markerlights on targets every turn, need to know exactly when and how to mantastrike my suits, plus make sure I place Homing Beacons for them exactly where I need them. Firing and rolling to wound with T’au weapons is a very enjoyable experience. Getting them to hit, not so much.

Coldstar commander did very little for me, although I did have very bad luck with rolls. She got a lot better with ATS and/or Target Lock but died a lot. I couldn’t really make use of her mobility much, but that might also be because of our battlefield setup and the mission. I was thinking of getting her a pair of shield drones, but those would not be able to keep up after the first movement phase.
For the last game, I played her as a 4x fusion blaster commander, which did what we expected her to do, kill armored stuff. Still died to Kharn in melee but what doesn’t?

Stealth Suits were very nice, the 2x Burst Cannons, 1 Fusion on Shas’vre seems very solid, especially with ATS on the Burst Cannon suits. Obviously very useful as objective grabbers the way our battlefield was set up. I had trouble placing good Homing Beacons for my Crisis without getting charged to death in response. I will try out a vanilla 3x Burst Cannons plus Beacon setup in an upcoming game so I don’t feel bad about that.

Flamer Crisis were kinda sad. They are probably not the correct tool against Berzerkers. They got a lot better once I went from 3x Flamers to 2x plus ATS, but even in the rare case where I dropped them in range for flamers for the crazy manta strike, if at least one Berzerker and/or Kharn survived, they would get charged and murdered in one melee phase.

Pathfinders I should have split up into two squads to get more markerlights on Helbrutes to support the stealth suitrs. I don’t regret putting rail rifles on two of them since the model looks so great, but they didn’t do anything for me so far. Might just say they count as very big markerlights and hope for the codex to make them better.

Some memorable moments:
Kharn getting 25 flamer shots to the face, not taking a wound and proceeding to single handedly murder 3 crisis suits and 4 gun drones in one fight phase.
Fusion Commander killing two Helbrutes, then getting shot at and charged by a Rhino and dying.
8 Pathfinders hitting all their shots and lighting up a Helbrute with 8 Markerlights, only for the Rail Rifles of the other 2 to still miss.
My only successful melee combat: A Helbrute with Missile launcher and Reaper Cannon charging my crisis suits. They bring it down to one wound with lucky overwatch fire, it misses all attacks and the Gun drones kill it (by headbutting it repeatedly, I assume?).

Some minor rules questions I don’t want to make an extra topic for:
Can transports hold objectives? It seemed silly that my opponent could hold an objective with a Rhino.
Flamers also hit automatically on overwatch, correct?
Do drones have For the greater good? I always fired overwatch with my drones when the crisis suits next to them were charged, only questioned this later.
The way I am firing Markerlights is one at a time, until the first one hits, then I roll the rest (to benefit from the reroll 1s), then any other weapons. I can do it like this, correct?

And a more broader question: What do I do against the Kharn/Berzerker deathball (especially if I need to get past it to get to an objective)?

If you’ve read until here, wow, and thank you. Hopefully this was interesting in any way, and if you could help me out with some beginner tips and answer my questions, I’d appreciate it.

Cheers,
Peter

Shas'la Cali Nate
Shas'Saal

Re: First games of 8th Edition - T’au against Kharn

Post#2 » Jan 07 2018 07:26

Cathar wrote:(Hope this is the right place, figured it fits better here than battle reports)

I think it goes in battle reports, but until a mod sees fit to move it, let's continue like it's right at home anyway ;)

Cathar wrote:My only successful melee combat: A Helbrute with Missile launcher and Reaper Cannon charging my crisis suits. They bring it down to one wound with lucky overwatch fire, it misses all attacks and the Gun drones kill it (by headbutting it repeatedly, I assume?).

The Drone model's edge is the same width as the edge of a chainsword model. Picture that flying into your armor joints (like the neck) at high speeds. Made worse if they decide to spin. Our drones aren't designed for melee, but like Archimedes once said, "Give me a lever and, at high enough speeds, I will move the world"*

*Exact quote not recorded

Cathar wrote:Some minor rules questions I don’t want to make an extra topic for:
Can transports hold objectives? It seemed silly that my opponent could hold an objective with a Rhino.

Yes, transports can hold objectives, but infantry are the only thing capable of contesting them. But if you got some Infantry Keyword troops there, then the infantry owns it. Finally if two groups of infantry are contesting an objective, neither owns it until the other flees or dies.

An example: Your opponent parks a Rhino on top of an objective (World Eaters control the objective).
You advance your pathfinders onto it during your next turn (T'au control the objective).
World Eaters unload the rhino and dump berserkers onto your pathfinders (Neither party controls it).
The fight phase slaughters your pathfinders completely (World Eaters control the objective).
The Beserkers next leave the objective because they spy another juicy squad of T'au infantry, leaving the Rhino on the objective (World Eaters control the objective).

Cathar wrote:Flamers also hit automatically on overwatch, correct?

Yes, so long as you are in range of For the Greater Good or are being charged

Cathar wrote:Do drones have For the greater good? I always fired overwatch with my drones when the crisis suits next to them were charged, only questioned this later.

Yes, If you check the entry for Drones in your index it does list them with this ability. A quick flip through shows everything minus the Ethereals, Vehicles, and Auxiliaries with this ability.

Cathar wrote:The way I am firing Markerlights is one at a time, until the first one hits, then I roll the rest (to benefit from the reroll 1s), then any other weapons. I can do it like this, correct?

I thought we had to declare all the attacks of a weapon type within a unit at once. So long as you're doing that I see no rule stating that you must roll all of those at once. However I don't think subsequent shots with those marker lights benefit from it. The idea, I believe, is that everyone shooting a markerlight within a unit at the same target is firing at once.

Hope I've been helpful to you

Gather
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 08 2018 12:11

Cathar wrote:The way I am firing Markerlights is one at a time, until the first one hits, then I roll the rest (to benefit from the reroll 1s), then any other weapons. I can do it like this, correct?

Yes you can. It's in the Xenos 2 Update under the FAQ Section for the T'au Empire it explicitly states you are allowed to do this.

Cathar wrote:And a more broader question: What do I do against the Kharn/Berzerker deathball (especially if I need to get past it to get to an objective)?

I've managed to frustrate a novice Khorne player by charging my Devilfish into the Rhino carrying the Khorne Berserkers. I tried to position my Devilfish in such a way that the Khorne Berserkers have to disembark in an unfavourable spot (The wrong side of the Rhino, for example) and have to move a longer distance to get off a successful charge.

The other thing would be to steal some Kauyon concepts; separate your forces into different groups forcing your opponent's doom ball to choose between one threat or another. One group will die horribly but they will be able to give time to the other to shoot at the opponent's models some more. This could be achieved by deep-striking something or just using the Stealthsuits infiltrate functionality.

Cathar
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 08 2018 07:35

Thank you for the answers!

Shas'la Cali Nate wrote:
Cathar wrote:Some minor rules questions I don’t want to make an extra topic for:

Yes, transports can hold objectives, but infantry are the only thing capable of contesting them. But if you got some Infantry Keyword troops there, then the infantry owns it. Finally if two groups of infantry are contesting an objective, neither owns it until the other flees or dies.

An example: Your opponent parks a Rhino on top of an objective (World Eaters control the objective).
You advance your pathfinders onto it during your next turn (T'au control the objective).
World Eaters unload the rhino and dump berserkers onto your pathfinders (Neither party controls it).
The fight phase slaughters your pathfinders completely (World Eaters control the objective).
The Beserkers next leave the objective because they spy another juicy squad of T'au infantry, leaving the Rhino on the objective (World Eaters control the objective).

That is a very in-depth explanation, and makes sense. Cheers.

Gather wrote:
Cathar wrote:And a more broader question: What do I do against the Kharn/Berzerker deathball (especially if I need to get past it to get to an objective)?

I've managed to frustrate a novice Khorne player by charging my Devilfish into the Rhino carrying the Khorne Berserkers. I tried to position my Devilfish in such a way that the Khorne Berserkers have to disembark in an unfavourable spot (The wrong side of the Rhino, for example) and have to move a longer distance to get off a successful charge.

The other thing would be to steal some Kauyon concepts; separate your forces into different groups forcing your opponent's doom ball to choose between one threat or another. One group will die horribly but they will be able to give time to the other to shoot at the opponent's models some more. This could be achieved by deep-striking something or just using the Stealthsuits infiltrate functionality.

I like the Devilfish tactic, if nothing else, it should get me some respect from the Khorne boys. I didn't want to get Devilfish as I am not a huge fan of the model, but I assume I could do similar things by just ramming it with a bunch of Drones?

I did try your second tactic, but in a small game like this I didn't really have much to sacrifice. I gave him a full 10man Pathfinder squad to chew on but rolled real bad with my Coldstar on the counter-attack and lost that, too.
Hopefully this will work a bit better in 1000+pts games when I have at least two commanders zipping about.

Gather
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 08 2018 07:54

To stop unfavourable deployments? Maybe, but the Drones will die a horrible death if the Berserkers decide to charge the Drones. The Devilfish is an incredibly durable model for the point cost (12 wounds, 7 Toughness, and 3+ Armour Save) so it might actually live through a full unit of Khorne Berserkers going crazy on it.

Stealthsuits are a little better at being on opposite sides of the map; they have some durability behind them (-1 to hit, T4, 3+ armour save) and can actually throw a threat onto the table.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Jan 08 2018 10:37

Tactics are important in these games but I think the problem is with the Tau list in this case. Khorne Berserkers, especially with their powerful stratagems, are anti-everything close combat units. Once they're in combat they'll remove almost anything, from swarms of light infantry to armored Terminators.

In this case the Tau list is almost entirely anti-infantry, and in particular anti-light infantry. Pathfinders, Stealthsuits, Flamer XV8s, and Gun Drones specialize in killing lightly-armored units, not Space Marines and especially not mechanized Space Marines. By themselves these Tau units are good, but put together they represent a list that decidedly lacks anti-elite and anti-large firepower.

I don't know what models you have in your collection, but I would definitely go for a total list rebuild. Not necessarily an "anti-CSM" build (that would be unfair), but a solid take-all-comers list should be your objective- something with significant threats and the ability to handle all targets.

With that in mind, what models do you own, or are able to proxy?

Cathar
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 09 2018 04:56

Gather wrote:To stop unfavourable deployments? Maybe, but the Drones will die a horrible death if the Berserkers decide to charge the Drones. The Devilfish is an incredibly durable model for the point cost (12 wounds, 7 Toughness, and 3+ Armour Save) so it might actually live through a full unit of Khorne Berserkers going crazy on it.

Stealthsuits are a little better at being on opposite sides of the map; they have some durability behind them (-1 to hit, T4, 3+ armour save) and can actually throw a threat onto the table.

I'll consider getting a fish then, at some point. Maybe I can come up with a satisfying conversion for one, since I'm not a fan of T'au vehicle models.

Yeah, Stealth suits are pretty durable. I've had a lot of success frustrating his ranged Helbrutes with them.

Arka0415 wrote:I don't know what models you have in your collection, but I would definitely go for a total list rebuild.

Oh boy, total list rebuild is not what you wanna hear. Well, so far I have the Rapid Insertion Cadre and a box of Pathfinders. I am planning on getting a box of Firewarriors and a Broadside (I know they are not efficient right now but look at that thing) and another Commander. I will also get some older Firewarriors from a friend, but no idea how many those are. I assume less than a full squad.

I'll magnetize everything (except for the Commanders because of the poses I want to do) so I'll have:

10 Pathfinders (built with Markerlights, 2 Rail rifles, but I can proxy any loadout)
6 Stealth Suits (any loadout)
3 Crisis (any loadout)
1 Coldstar Commander
1 Fusion Commander
1 Ghostkeel (need to use Cyclic Ion Raker as main weapon)
1 Broadside (really want to use the Rail rifle, but I will look into magnetization options as well)
10-15 Firewarriors

Arka0415 wrote:Not necessarily an "anti-CSM" build (that would be unfair), but a solid take-all-comers list should be your objective- something with significant threats and the ability to handle all targets.

To be honest the mechanized Berzerkers feel especially anti-me at the moment, so I don't mind if the list is leaning toward countering that tactic.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Jan 09 2018 06:02

Cathar wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:I don't know what models you have in your collection, but I would definitely go for a total list rebuild.

Oh boy, total list rebuild is not what you wanna hear. Well, so far I have the Rapid Insertion Cadre and a box of Pathfinders. I am planning on getting a box of Firewarriors and a Broadside (I know they are not efficient right now but look at that thing) and another Commander. I will also get some older Firewarriors from a friend, but no idea how many those are. I assume less than a full squad.

I'll magnetize everything (except for the Commanders because of the poses I want to do) so I'll have:

10 Pathfinders (built with Markerlights, 2 Rail rifles, but I can proxy any loadout)
6 Stealth Suits (any loadout)
3 Crisis (any loadout)
1 Coldstar Commander
1 Fusion Commander
1 Ghostkeel (need to use Cyclic Ion Raker as main weapon)
1 Broadside (really want to use the Rail rifle, but I will look into magnetization options as well)
10-15 Firewarriors

Don't worry at all- "total list rebuild" sounds scary but it's not, I promise! You already have a ton of models, and all the right ones too! Commanders, XV8s, Pathfinders, Stealthsuits and Gun Drones are all great models to use, and it looks like you have plenty already. Really, nothing to worry about.

In a solid list we probably won't use the Broadside (not good in the Index) or the Fire Warriors (only good in large games or with a Fireblade). That leaves us with two Commanders, three XV8s, six Stealthsuits, and a Ghostkeel. To kill "MEQ" ("Marine EQuivalent, or T4/Sv3+) targets we want to use accurate weapons with S5 or more and at least some AP. We also need some guns that can destroy vehicles, and most importantly we want to stay far away!

Let's try a simple list at 650 points. We'll use a Commander, some XV8s, and then some filler so we have at least one detachment, as well as enough Markerlights get the fantastic +1 to-hit buff:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Gun Drones (176)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights (48)

Total: 649 - Command Points: 3 (1 Patrol Detachment)

-

It's a bit heavy on infantry, but 650 points doesn't leave you with much extra room. Anyway, what do you think?

Cathar
Shas

Post#9 » Jan 09 2018 06:35

Given your recent thread here, I am not surprised about the 8 CIB crisis unit. It does look good on paper and I'll definitely try it out.

So, you are saying Fire Warriors aren't good in small Games but then you suggest 2 squads? I assume they are okay in this context?

How would you upgrade this to 1000 pts with what I have?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Jan 09 2018 07:54

Cathar wrote:So, you are saying Fire Warriors aren't good in small Games but then you suggest 2 squads? I assume they are okay in this context?

Sorry I didn't elaborate there. Here's the thing- you need CIBs, you need Fusion Blasters, you need Markerlights, and the only detachment you can make is a Patrol. Since the Battlesuits also should use drones, the absolute minimum I was thinking about about 562 points- there wouldn't be enough room for Stealthsuits, or a Ghostkeel, or a Coldstar. With that in mind, the only other thing to add for a low-points game was Fire Warriors, hence the list.

However, something slipped my mind- you didn't write them in your unit list, but I bet you have a bunch of Gun Drones, right? We can use those in Tactcal Drone Teams and get you an Outrider detachment! This should work better:

-

Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)

Total: 639 - Command Points: 4 (1 Outrider Detachment)

-

The list is a little under in points so you can add a bit more of course. Feel free to shift the number of drones and Pathfinders around a little bit to suit your plans but that's the general idea. Sorry I didn't think about it earlier!

Cathar wrote:How would you upgrade this to 1000 pts with what I have?

Frankly a 1000-point list would be easier to make. We just take everything and make one big Vanguard detachment, like this:

-

HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Output Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, ATS (150)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons (90)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (181)

Total: 996 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Cathar
Shas

Post#11 » Jan 09 2018 08:45

Thanks for the clarification on the Warriors.

I think I'll run with the 640ish drone list for the next few games. I'll most likely change the Ion rifles to Rail rifles, 1 per squad. I've modeled them like this for now, they just look a lot better to me. Maybe the Codex will buff them..

Also cool to have a 1000 pts list with everything. With the flamer crisis, I didn't really find a good one.
Plus when we move to 1500, I'm flexible for anything else.

Thanks for your help with this, I'll post another battlereport when I get to take these lists for a spin.

Another 2 questions while I have you (and everyone else) here:
How are people feeling about a 4x missile Pod Commander, especially against Chaos Space Marines?
I really like the idea of just blanketing a squad in missile hits (Even though I really really miss templates when firing those)
Also, against Marines, if I absolutely want a broadside, missiles or railguns?

steelmanf
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jan 09 2018 10:14

Cathar wrote:Thanks for the clarification on the Warriors.
Another 2 questions while I have you (and everyone else) here:
How are people feeling about a 4x missile Pod Commander, especially against Chaos Space Marines?
I really like the idea of just blanketing a squad in missile hits (Even though I really really miss templates when firing those)
Also, against Marines, if I absolutely want a broadside, missiles or railguns?

The generally accepted loadout on the Missile Boat Commander is 3x Missile Pods + ATS, and not just against CSMs. It may seem counter-intuitive on a Commander to take a support system, but in this case that -2 AP is just lethal. Good against vehicles, too.

Edit: All that being said, I now wonder if Arka's opinion on taking 3x MP + ATS has also changed to straight 4x MP, giving his shift on CIBs?

As for the Broadside, again, go with High-Yield Missile Pods and ATS for the same reasons. I'd love to be able to use that Railgun, but at BS 4+ with 2 shots, you have a surprisingly high chance of not hitting anything at all. I love seeing that model with Railguns equipped (especially the old over-the-shoulder design), but this is the price we pay until the codex arrives, heralded by the sound of trumpets.

namegiver
Shas

Post#13 » Jan 09 2018 11:31

Shas'la Cali Nate wrote:But if you got some Infantry Keyword troops there, then the infantry owns it. Finally if two groups of infantry are contesting an objective, neither owns it until the other flees or dies.

This is not the case. In the situation where both units that are contesting an objective have an objective-secured type rule (Like the Space Marine Defenders of Humanity ability), you fall back to comparing model count of said units. The side with the most models with objective-secured controls the objective.

This Fibonacci joke is as bad as the last two you heard combined.
namegiver's Shi'ar Sept Project Log

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#14 » Jan 09 2018 07:41

Cathar wrote:How are people feeling about a 4x missile Pod Commander, especially against Chaos Space Marines?

The Missile Pod Commander tends to work best at long range against medium-armored, multi-wound targets. With its D3 damage it's not totally efficient against W1 Space Marine units, however it is decent against Rhinos and other light vehicles. That said though, the Missile Pod Commander works best by using its versatility to take down crippled vehicles at long range while alpha strike units like Fusion Commander chase down big targets. With that in mind, if you only have one Commander I'd use Fusion instead of Missile Pods. If you use a second Commander though then the Missile Pod loadout could be very viable.

Cathar wrote:Also, against Marines, if I absolutely want a broadside, missiles or railguns?

For a dedicated anti-Marine solution the Missile Pods work better. However, neither build is necessarily very good at the moment due to their very high cost.

steelmanf wrote:I now wonder if Arka's opinion on taking 3x MP + ATS has also changed to straight 4x MP, giving his shift on CIBs?

I still like 3xMP+ATS. You save 16 points, and the Missile Pods aren't going to engage light infantry anyway due to their single weapon profile of D3 damage. I think the AP-2 is a great resource against light vehicles, Primaris Marines, Terminators, etc., which are all ideal targets of the Missile Pod Commander. Again, mainly because this is a unit that really won't be engaging light infantry.

Return to “Tau Tactics”