Lostroninsoul wrote:Is it worth having some dx technical drones in a list with this? The drones can savior protocols in a pinch but I like the idea of using the the y'vraha's escape thrust to retreat to be healed
From a strictly competitive point of view, I don't think is worth it, most of all, because you will be 3-4 turns without shooting. 2 possible scenarios occur to me:
- Scenario 1
You've had an exchange of fire on Turn 1, and Your Y'vahra is severly damaged (you probably did not protect her properly, or not with enough drones), so Turn 2 you go away to heal her. Then you are not shooting in either turn 2 (at all), turn 3 (only your Ionic Discharge Weapon, and that if there's any target with your Technical drones), and turn 4, because you have to again go where the battle is. And I can tell you, as a 2 Y'vahra user, if you are not shooting with your Y'vahra on turn 2 and 3, you are not winning the game, even if you are healing the Y'vahra (only on the turn after you escaped, and only an average of 1 wound per Technical Drones Unit). When you come back with the healed Y'vahra on T4, you will be limited either by movement or by having to again use the Escape Thrust to keep it killing.. You will arrive on T3 as soonest, and it will probably be too late to kill enough things to matter, because probably your opponent has been able to deal with all the other important units in your army.
- Scenario 2
You are on T3+ and have already killed a lot, but you have run out of drones and your Y'vahra is severly wounded. Even you are in the middle of the enemy lines (you should be, on T3), you escape to be healed, but then your opponent doesn't have to face that brutal Plasma Flamer anymore, and then you are giving him/her a chance to use 2 extra turns of their remaining biggest things, given that they do not have to deal nor face your Y'tide those 2-3 turns. Then you arrive on T5 and either you have been erased or you have won anyway (which is weird, because you just threw away 2 turns of shooting from the 25% of your army).
In any case, if you escape, don't expect your opponent to chase you, they will be happy dealing with the actual threads that you just left up front.
That tactic that you mention violates basically all the principles from this article:
1. Keep it Killing!
- you are not killing anything for 2-3 turns.
2. Keep it Alive!
- even though you think you are protecting her by healing her, the truth is that you will not be able to have as many drones with your technical drones as you had up front to protect her, so Lascannons /battlecannons /Prism Cannons will find it easier to wound her after she arrives to be healed.
3. Drones are your friends
- same than above, you just left your important drones unprotected.
5. Learn how to make use of psychological warfare
- You just freed your opponent of the constant fear that the Y'vahra inflicts while she is on the battlefield and close to the opponent's biggest things.TLDR: No, too many turns without any shooting of a unit that NEEDS to kill as many things as possible to make the huge investment worth it.