Follow-Up: Homing Beacons and Fusion Commanders

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Re: Follow-Up: Homing Beacons and Fusion Commanders

Post#19 » Jan 17 2018 11:33

CDR_Farsight wrote:Because my stealth team was in the first set of drops and I had no idea where his units would go or if I would have first turn (he was using a typical Astra Militarum list), I decided to put them in the devilfish...

Hey! Although your idea is really cool and imaginative, I don't think you can transport Battlesuits of any kind with our Devilfish, sadly enough... :-(

Draaen wrote:I think as a community our list building advice has become a bit monotone. Most of our advice to people asking for help is more gun drones, QFC, Ion Blaster Commanders, Ion blaster/flamer crisis suit teams and maybe an Y'Vahara if they are okay with FW. It is effective and good advice but seems to me to make the recommended lists all very similar. Which I think is part of the reason why you don't see stealth suits as much on this forum.

I have to agree, although that's why it is good to point out that our advices are with a competitive mindset, which I think we tend to do.
Also, many times the advice requesters put some limitations like: "I don't like Commander Spam", "I don't have those models" or "I like this model, despite knowing that is not competitive at all". All those comments help guide our advices towards the best they can do.
At the end of the day, if some T'au player is using a Drone Spam List, or a Commander Spam one (or both), it will be because his or her environment is competitive, and he or she wants to be as good as possible given the poorly diverse Index that has been given to us. If they don't want to do so, or if their play group is not that competitive, they just won't.

That said, I hope that all that changes when the codex finally comes out... :P

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#20 » Jan 17 2018 06:18

JancoBCN wrote:
Draaen wrote:I think as a community our list building advice has become a bit monotone.

I have to agree, although that's why it is good to point out that our advices are with a competitive mindset, which I think we tend to do.
Also, many times the advice requesters put some limitations like: "I don't like Commander Spam", "I don't have those models" or "I like this model, despite knowing that is not competitive at all". All those comments help guide our advices towards the best they can do.

I agree, though I think that's inevitable. Tau lists right now are very monotone, with 60% of the codex underperforming. If someone wants advice on a list, usually they're not asking about fluff or casual play, they're looking to make something competitive. As JancoBCN pointed out, it's the restrictions that make each list unique- perhaps a player only owns eight Gun Drones, or one Commander, and so on.

So I don't think the community is uncreative or anything, rather, it's the natural result of a competitive mindset.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#21 » Jan 19 2018 09:49

Arka0415 wrote:So I don't think the community is uncreative or anything, rather, it's the natural result of a competitive mindset.

Yeah I don't mean to make it as a negative criticism on the list advice or the communities creativity. The advice isn't wrong and as people have said when people have special restrictions personal or otherwise their is then special attention given. I just mean that probably people that are active on the forums think this community has some validity to their advice and that a lot of lists will reflect that by heavily including the recommended units in a competitive or semi-competitive setting.

So that I don't derail the conversation. I like stealth teams by themselves and I like QFC by itself. So I think I take both units because of what they individually bring to the table and the homing beacon is a very nice plus. The threat of being able to deepstrike and assault multiple vehicles or melta a prime target that needs to die is really nice. The commander can also deep strike behind the stealth suits in cover making it impossible to shoot the commander until the super durable stealth suits are killed. Flexible and potent. It helps me try to impose my plan and force my opponent to react to me rather than the other way.

I also happen to love my XV15s so I am probably biased.
All empires fall you just have to know where to push

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Jan 19 2018 12:53

JancoBCN wrote:
CDR_Farsight wrote:Because my stealth team was in the first set of drops and I had no idea where his units would go or if I would have first turn (he was using a typical Astra Militarum list), I decided to put them in the devilfish...

Hey! Although your idea is really cool and imaginative, I don't think you can transport Battlesuits of any kind with our Devilfish, sadly enough... :-(

Draaen wrote:I think as a community our list building advice has become a bit monotone. Most of our advice to people asking for help is more gun drones, QFC, Ion Blaster Commanders, Ion blaster/flamer crisis suit teams and maybe an Y'Vahara if they are okay with FW. It is effective and good advice but seems to me to make the recommended lists all very similar. Which I think is part of the reason why you don't see stealth suits as much on this forum.

At the end of the day, if some T'au player is using a Drone Spam List, or a Commander Spam one (or both), it will be because his or her environment is competitive, and he or she wants to be as good as possible given the poorly diverse Index that has been given to us. If they don't want to do so, or if their play group is not that competitive, they just won't.

That said, I hope that all that changes when the codex finally comes out... :P

You are correct! That’s what I get for forgetting my index. I knew they were infantry, but it didn’t even occur to me that there would be a Tau specific line about excluding battlesuits.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

AleksandrGRC
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Jan 20 2018 07:41

I really like stealth suits, most people seem not to but i Tend to go six man teams with fusions homing becon drone controllers and sometimes shield or stims.

I like their flexability and definitely like them for area denial. Until i got that same deploy by thirds mission :/.
However do not overload them with to many jobs they NEED to do.

Ive also been wanting to try
Stealth suits
Commander in behind
And a ghostkeel behind that.

I want to say kroot for that pre game movement but the idea is anything else thats a chore to kill. Hope we get a -1 to hit somewhere in our abilities :evil:

Return to “Tau Tactics”