Crazy orca tactic that just might work

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Crazy orca tactic that just might work

Post#1 » Jan 22 2018 02:43

Ok, hear me out.
I saw someone who was saying that the only use for an orca would be to stick 64 drones and a cadre fireblade in it. But it got me thinking.
What if you put not only gun drones but also sniper drones in it (like 20 or 30), a firesight marksman and an XV8 team with one or two drone controllers in it? You would be getting 3 shots with each drone at characters hitting on a 3+ so you could pretty much take out all the enemy characters and infantry and still have enough firepower to hurt the big things.

On a side-note, the orca can carry 65 remora stealth fighters for some reason.

QimRas
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Crazy orca tactic that just might work

Post#2 » Jan 22 2018 03:08

Not a bad setup.

I have used 2 Orcas previously to get the jump on enemies. I basically filled the Orcas with an entire brigade worth of Firewarriors, Sniper Drones, Marksmen, Pathfinders, and Fireblades and accompanying drones. Both Orcas started on top of an objective. Since the army basically ends up being 2 drops, I am guaranteed to go first in Narrative and Open play (never played Matched, so dunno how well this would work). First turn I drop halve the contents of the Orca onto the objectives they are on, then race the Orca forward onto another objective. Second turn they unload on the second objective (considering mixing in some Breachers for this phase of the drop next time I try it) and grab it in force.

You may be able to do the same with your drone boat. Put the orca on a backfield objective you want to hold, drop some drones before it moves then have it hit its target. Mainly it will decrease the number of drops involved in your army, even if you use heavy MSU.

The Sniper Drones that I used in my drops ended up acting less as character killers and more as long ranged fire support.

Also consider a Stealth Team instead of an XV8 team. Takes up less space.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 22 2018 03:09

Temennigru wrote:Ok, hear me out.
I saw someone who was saying that the only use for an orca would be to stick 64 drones and a cadre fireblade in it. But it got me thinking.
What if you put not only gun drones but also sniper drones in it (like 20 or 30), a firesight marksman and an XV8 team with one or two drone controllers in it? You would be getting 3 shots with each drone at characters hitting on a 3+ so you could pretty much take out all the enemy characters and infantry and still have enough firepower to hurt the big things.

Best case scenario with 30 sniper drones, firesight marksmen, DC, 5 lights on a target shooting at SM or AM characters (read toughtness less than 4) you are doing 16.66 wounds to things with 3+ saves. Add up your sniper drones, DC caddy, firesight marksman, points to get 5 lights, oh and lets not forget the orca itself. You'll see why it's not worth it. Cool idea but ouch on the points for a gimmick.

Temennigru
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 22 2018 03:31

Yojimbob wrote:
Temennigru wrote:Ok, hear me out.

Best case scenario with 30 sniper drones, firesight marksmen, DC, 5 lights on a target shooting at SM or AM characters (read toughtness less than 4) you are doing 16.66 wounds to things with 3+ saves. Add up your sniper drones, DC caddy, firesight marksman, points to get 5 lights, oh and lets not forget the orca itself. You'll see why it's not worth it. Cool idea but ouch on the points for a gimmick.

Yea, you're right. 2k points for 30 wounds on MEQ is not OK.

Return to “Tau Tactics”