Paying noon for Mortal Wounds.

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Paying noon for Mortal Wounds.

Post#1 » Jan 28 2018 07:05

Hello, today I watched a game between two friends: Tyranids vs Ultramarines.
The Tyranids player tabled the blue one.
The bugs had 3 Biovores, which causes many casualties until the Ultramarines player finally kill them.
I see the Biovores and thought that they are a nice units.
After the game, I asked how many points do the Biovores cost. And the answer shock me.
They are very cheap. Noon cheap. With the weapon for free.
I don't get it.
What if the Tyranids player invest around 1/5 or 1/4 of his points in Biovores?
The beautiful bugs do Mortal Wounds.
If he wants, he can wipe one unit per shooting round (I mean using a Y'vahra of points or such).
They do a nice amount of Mortal Wounds.
I think that they are extremely cheap.
What do you think about them?
Cheers.

P.S.: also they were Kronos, which rerolls hit of 1s in the shooting phase if they remain stationary.

Edit: I think that this thread must be in "Engaging the Alien". Can a mod move it, please? Thank you in advance.

Krospgnasker
Shas

Re: Paying noon for Mortal Wounds.

Post#2 » Jan 29 2018 01:08

Yes, Biovores are indeed very cheap for the amount of mortal wounds they provide. I played a game with my Space Wolves against a 'Nid player fielding about 10 biovores, and my armor saves meant nothing. The fact that they create spore mines even when they miss makes them almost guaranteed value.

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Jan 30 2018 12:24

Hilariously enough, spore mines are one of those things that I find totally ineffective against Tau.

It's not because they aren't dangerous, it's because we have enough odd firepower to deal with them. Gun drones on tanks, for example, work wonders. Each pulse carbine can target a separate mine, so a devilfish can conceivably kill 5. Usually 4. Similarly, having a basic gun with range 30" means that backfield fire warriors are very helpful in clearing them out.

Cheers!

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Feb 03 2018 08:59

shasocastris wrote:Hilariously enough, spore mines are one of those things that I find totally ineffective against Tau.

It's not because they aren't dangerous, it's because we have enough odd firepower to deal with them. Gun drones on tanks, for example, work wonders. Each pulse carbine can target a separate mine, so a devilfish can conceivably kill 5. Usually 4. Similarly, having a basic gun with range 30" means that backfield fire warriors are very helpful in clearing them out.

Cheers!

That's correct if they miss, but they're still going to hit 50-58% of the time (depending on Kronos or not) doing 1 or D3 mortal wounds for hardly any cost at good range and unlike Psykers won't risk blowing themselves up.

And if they do miss and create spore mines then you have to focus fire on the mines, also have to deal with a restricted movement phase until they're destroyed and other units in their army advance towards you unassailed.

Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Feb 03 2018 09:57

Nymphomanius wrote:
shasocastris wrote:Hilariously enough, spore mines are one of those things that I find totally ineffective against Tau.

Cheers!

That's correct if they miss, but they're still going to hit 50-58% of the time (depending on Kronos or not) doing 1 or D3 mortal wounds for hardly any cost at good range and unlike Psykers won't risk blowing themselves up.

And if they do miss and create spore mines then you have to focus fire on the mines, also have to deal with a restricted movement phase until they're destroyed and other units in their army advance towards you unassailed.

So much this.
I think they cost nothing for what they do.

Return to “Tau Tactics”