The Coldstar Assassins

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'La
Shas'La

The Coldstar Assassins

Post#1 » Jan 31 2018 06:55

Hey all,

I was having a think about the composition of various powerful lists I've seen from lots of different battle reports, and I began to notice a trend. A lot of very powerful lists (Daemons, Orks, AM, SM) rely on character synergy. There's usually one or two characters that form the backbone of all the really strong buffs that can be given out, and I've noticed that once these supporting characters are removed, these armies tend to crumble. A good example of this is orks, who without their Kustom Force Field + Waaaagh! banner go from tough and very hard hitting, to very squishy and quite hard hitting. Another would be Daemons with Plaguebearer spam. Remove those Scriveners, and Herald equivalents and the Plaguebearers lose a LOT of killing power. So as a solution to this kind of meta, I found a lot of success against this type of army by using 2 Coldstar Commanders. In every game I played against a buff reliant army, these two managed to advance with Mont'Ka right next to a squishy lynchpin character and assassinate it, greatly reducing the effectiveness of my opponent. Then (if you didn't need to advance) they can charge any shooting units nearby to shutdown some firepower. One will usually die, but by then the damage is done.

Using two Coldstars (and I do believe you need two to make this really work), there are actually very few supporting characters that can stand up to their point blank firepower. I've managed to kill the likes of Dante, Farseers, Creed, SM Captains/Lt's, Big Mek w/KFF, and Necron Lords. This kind of tactic is almost never predicted (I've yet to not completely shock someone when I've done this), it puts them on the back foot, often gets you warlord, can put you into position to charge/shutdown big shooty units near the buffing characters, and generally gives opponents a big headache to deal with right in their back lines. Now of course, not every army is composed like this and some use buffing characters that are beyond the firepower of 2 coldstars (looking at you Guilleman/Cawl), but in cases like this you still have 2 coldstars. Use them to shut down enemy shooting by charging, harass the sides, take objectives across the map, and do other coldstar things in general. The inclusion of two Coldstars may hurt your overall damage output slightly when compared to a CIB commander, but the ability to completely shut down buff reliant armies, along with manoeuvrability that not many others can match, I believe using the Coldstar commanders to assassinate is extremely powerful, extremely fun, and brings a bit of variety to our otherwise bland armies.

Let me know what you think! Do you think there is merit to this? Have you tried something similar? I'm keen to hear everyone's thoughts :)

R'Kai

EDIT: Amended to clarify that you cannot advance and charge even with Mont'Ka
Last edited by Shas'O R'Kai on Jan 31 2018 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
Playing with a short reach since 2007 :crafty:

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Re: The Coldstar Assassins

Post#2 » Jan 31 2018 07:08

Shas'O R'Kai wrote:Hey all,

I was having a think about the composition of various powerful lists I've seen from lots of different battle reports, and I began to notice a trend. A lot of very powerful lists (Daemons, Orks, AM, SM) rely on character synergy. There's usually one or two characters that form the backbone of all the really strong buffs that can be given out, and I've noticed that once these supporting characters are removed, these armies tend to crumble. A good example of this is orks, who without their Kustom Force Field + Waaaagh! banner go from tough and very hard hitting, to very squishy and quite hard hitting. Another would be Daemons with Plaguebearer spam. Remove those Scriveners, and Herald equivalents and the Plaguebearers lose a LOT of killing power. So as a solution to this kind of meta, I found a lot of success against this type of army by using 2 Coldstar Commanders. In every game I played against a buff reliant army, these two managed to advance with Mont'Ka right next to a squishy lynchpin character and assassinate it, greatly reducing the effectiveness of my opponent. Then they can charge any shooting units nearby to shutdown some firepower. Then one will usually die, but by then the damage is done.

Using two Coldstars (and I do believe you need two to make this really work), there are actually very few supporting characters that can stand up to their point blank firepower. I've managed to kill the likes of Dante, Farseers, Creed, SM Captains/Lt's, Big Mek w/KFF, and Necron Lords. This kind of tactic is almost never predicted (I've yet to not completely shock someone when I've done this), it puts them on the back foot, often gets you warlord, can put you into position to charge/shutdown big shooty units near the buffing characters, and generally gives opponents a big headache to deal with right in their back lines. Now of course, not every army is composed like this and some use buffing characters that are beyond the firepower of 2 coldstars (looking at you Guilleman/Cawl), but in cases like this you still have 2 coldstars. Use them to shut down enemy shooting by charging, harass the sides, take objectives across the map, and do other coldstar things in general. The inclusion of two Coldstars may hurt your overall damage output slightly when compared to a CIB commander, but the ability to completely shut down buff reliant armies, along with manoeuvrability that not many others can match, I believe using the Coldstar commanders to assassinate is extremely powerful, extremely fun, and brings a bit of variety to our otherwise bland armies.

Let me know what you think! Do you think there is merit to this? Have you tried something similar? I'm keen to hear everyone's thoughts :)

R'Kai

Okay, first of all, I love that post, as I have always found the Coldstar worth taking for many reasons (great versatility, almost perfect Relic bearer, he can keep up with your Y'vahras), even though that means less firepower (although not that less).

My experience has been the same, and I have a lot of tactical flexibility with him, in order to kill a key hidden unit, usually stealing the objective they are holding. I have to try 2 yet, but I will for sure!

Another thing that I really wanted to point out is that my interpretation of the Mont'ka ruling is that you cannot charge after advancing, so if you move 40", you will not be able to charge anything. So either you move 20", shoot at 2+ and can charge, or you advance and shoot at 3+ (or 2+ if mont'ka has been called), but with no legal charges available.
I am saying that because I have heard many players saying they charge after advancing when Mont'ka is declared, and I am pretty sure that cannot be done. Also, the huge surprise factor of the Coldstar comes when you actually advances, as you can get yourself in the enemy lines with ease.

I guess you mean moving + charging, with no advancing, but I just wanted to clarify for unexperienced Commanders!

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jan 31 2018 07:24

JancoBCN wrote:Okay, first of all, I love that post, as I have always found the Coldstar worth taking for many reasons (great versatility, almost perfect Relic bearer, he can keep up with your Y'vahras), even though that means less firepower (although not that less).

My experience has been the same, and I have a lot of tactical flexibility with him, in order to kill a key hidden unit, usually stealing the objective they are holding. I have to try 2 yet, but I will for sure!

Another thing that I really wanted to point out is that my interpretation of the Mont'ka ruling is that you cannot charge after advancing, so if you move 40", you will not be able to charge anything. So either you move 20", shoot at 2+ and can charge, or you advance and shoot at 3+ (or 2+ if mont'ka has been called), but with no legal charges available.
I am saying that because I have heard many players saying they charge after advancing when Mont'ka is declared, and I am pretty sure that cannot be done. Also, the huge surprise factor of the Coldstar comes when you actually advances, as you can get yourself in the enemy lines with ease.

I guess you mean moving + charging, with no advancing, but I just wanted to clarify for unexperienced Commanders!

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm of the opinion that 1 coldstar isn't quite enough to make enough of an impact on it's own. Having two means you can really put a lot of pressure anywhere on the board whenever you want. Keeping up with Y'Vahra's is actually another great reason I to them! Whenever I've taken them alongside my Y'Vahra, I use them as a front guard against any assaulting units. If I can get a charge off on a choppy unit and survive, it can keep the Y-tide alive that bit longer. Still, this is more of a desperate tactic and I think it's best to use them to blitz a key objective you need.

Sorry, you've posted this on another post of mine before and I forgot to check my words! I used to always say "advance" when I mean "move towards" so I'm still trying to break the bad habit :D With regards to charging, moving the 20" is actually often enough to get into range of what you want. In the 2nd turn after you've advanced and assassinated then if both are alive you can start shutting down a lot of firepower. I've actually found that they stay alive due to the massive threat of my looming Y'Vahra that's always there!

are there any other quirky uses you've managed to come up with? :)

R'Kai
Playing with a short reach since 2007 :crafty:

Zanotam
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 10 2018 07:00

Wait, so are you recommending 2xColdstar with an Y'vahra or just 1xColdstar with one? And what is your opinion on running them alongside a ghostkeel - who can potentially take Fusion Blasters or Burst Cannons for either squishier chaps (burst) or more with the Ghost Keel's Cyclic Ion Raker being ideal for taking out things like Dreadnought characters and other tough nuts (which, at least for space wolves, I've seen running crazy stuff like 3+invuln and 6+++ with something like 8 wounds and thus I'm less than sure about the Fusion collider) and you could even run 2x fusion blasters with the CIR for the chance to kill ANYTHING pretty much whether FNP, high toughness, or high wounds (because your weaposn are strength 7/8 with good amounts of total potential damage landing (and with such a buidl you could make the decision to ditch the ATS and take stim+Target Lock!). Like, maybe i'm crazy, but I feel like with an Y'vahra you might not need 2 coldstars and with a ghostkeel as another option you definitely have the option of running just 1 coldstar as part of an entire 3 battle suit death squad that can move either 12 or 18" a turn if you want to stick them close together but 12/18/20" otherwise (and you can partially make up for the loss movement by infiltrating the COldstar to be 6" or whatever closer to the target and by having the coldstar come down whenever the time is right to bring more ablative wounds.... since the y'vhara's drones can keep up if moves are kept within 12").

Return to “Tau Tactics”