does this idea have any merit for railrifle pathfinders?

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
AcrylicSpider
Shas

does this idea have any merit for railrifle pathfinders?

Post#1 » Feb 07 2018 07:18

had a thought the other day as i really wanted to make a railrifle/railgun list and was really wanting to use some railrifle pathfinders in the list and this what i came up with.

Tidewall droneport w/ 4x Marker Drones 110pt

Darkstrider 45pt

Pathfinder's (9 man) 167pt
-4x markerlights -5x railrifle

Total cost: 322pts

Essentially the idea was to combine the portable bunker that the railfinders so desperately need, while also giving them access to 5 2+ to hit markerlights, with backup 4 4+ to hit markerlights. adding onto this is the darkstrider's ability to reduce enemy toughness by 1, letting the railrifles wound SM infantry on 2+ and custodes at 3+ while having the -4 to armour save + d3 wounds + extra mortal wounds on 6. i felt this was a great way to include them as a central part of a firebase. what's everyone's thought's on this

Osocruel
Shas

Re: does this idea have any merit for railrifle pathfinders?

Post#2 » Feb 07 2018 07:34

I believe you can only take 3 special weapons per pathfinder team. So you would have to take 2x pathfinder teams of 5-10 if you want 5x Rail Rifles.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Feb 07 2018 07:45

Only 3 per team as Osocruel said, so you would have to take 2 squads of 2 w/ML 3 railrifles

With the new stratagem, I would just use more pathfinders instead of droneport, as drones without shield drone are easy to get rid of and you can gain d3 markerlights for 1cp to boost your pathfinders ML hits, also it would allow for more railguns

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Feb 07 2018 07:46

As highlighted above, 3 is the maximum number of special weapons they can take. Also, as darkstrider is technically embarked upon a transport, none of his aura effects work.

Railfinders are some of my favourite models, but the current meta has no room for them. The extra points make an already priority target almost certain to be wiped off the board first turn.

Hopefully post codex, there will be some new ways for pathfinders to be more durable and make the special weapon squads a viable option (maybe a +2 to saves when in cover?)

Until then, the 81 points for 3 railfinders is almost half the points for a fusion commander, which while lacking mortal wounds will be our ever reliable index anti-armour unit... :(
'We act as one, and united we cannot fall'

-Commander Shadowsun

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Feb 07 2018 07:48

Personaly I think pathifinders are going to be played very often with codex, even though I don't play them myself atm

AcrylicSpider
Shas

Post#6 » Feb 07 2018 07:54

ah my bad, i was under the conception that in a double sized squad i would be allowed the same ratio of weapon teams in them, my bad :P

thanks for the corrections

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Feb 07 2018 07:58

AcrylicSpider wrote:ah my bad, i was under the conception that in a double sized squad i would be allowed the same ratio of weapon teams in them, my bad :P

thanks for the corrections

What you describe is actually true for stealth suits, so it's understandable that would confuse some :)
But even then, double squad would be 10, so you would end up with the same amount of pathfinders

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Feb 07 2018 08:07

Remember that putting Darkstrider in a Droneport really breaks the synergy. He buffs the Marker Drones, which must detach and will likely be shot by your opponent. More importantly though, his -1T buff does not work, as he is embarked in a transport. Same goes for Fireblades and Ethereals- their buffs do not work when they are embarked in vehicles.

Return to “Tau Tactics”