Optimal loadout against quantum shielding.

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
blodgram
Shas

Re: Optimal loadout against quantum shielding.

Post#19 » Feb 12 2018 02:09

Yojimbob wrote:
comm_nagrom wrote:
Nitrogue wrote:I don't think mortal wounds would help here. Rules state any unsaved wounds, as mortals can not be saved against they would automatically fit in this category.

Basically need a weapon that fires a lot of low damage shots, rather than a OHKO super weapon.

Actually since mortal wounds are single point damage wounds they would bypass it, since they would have to roll under the damage and thus they can't roll less than one no?

Yes, they would bypass it. Not sure about destroyer missiles since multiple mortal wounds behave kind of oddly. It's not d3 damage but d3 individual mortal wounds I believe. Not 100% on this but maybe someone can point us in the right direction with how receiving multiple mortal wounds works.

There is FAQ about this,
Q: Can Quantum Shielding be used to prevent damage caused
by mortal wounds?
A: No. Mortal wounds are inflicted one at a time, and
as quantum shielding can never prevent a single point
of damage from being suffered, it cannot prevent
mortal wounds.

And yes destroyer missiles bypass it as they are not multi damage just multi wound.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Feb 12 2018 02:49

blodgram wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:
comm_nagrom wrote:
Actually since mortal wounds are single point damage wounds they would bypass it, since they would have to roll under the damage and thus they can't roll less than one no?

Yes, they would bypass it. Not sure about destroyer missiles since multiple mortal wounds behave kind of oddly. It's not d3 damage but d3 individual mortal wounds I believe. Not 100% on this but maybe someone can point us in the right direction with how receiving multiple mortal wounds works.

There is FAQ about this,
Q: Can Quantum Shielding be used to prevent damage caused
by mortal wounds?
A: No. Mortal wounds are inflicted one at a time, and
as quantum shielding can never prevent a single point
of damage from being suffered, it cannot prevent
mortal wounds.

And yes destroyer missiles bypass it as they are not multi damage just multi wound.

Beautiful! I thought that's how mortal wounds worked but like I said not 100% sure. So I guess destroyer missiles would work wonders on cron ships.

blodgram
Shas

Post#21 » Feb 12 2018 03:24

I still think the sun shark bomber is ideal if the y'vahra is not allowed, 4 ion rifles, 2 missile pods, 2 seeker missiles, a markerlight, and the pulse bomb is perfect arsenal against necrons. They take a lot for necrons to kill as well with the -1 to hit being so effective against tesla, just be careful not to get too close to triarch stalker's with heat ray's.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#22 » Feb 12 2018 04:33

oh ok, i misunderstood what people were saying. I thought you were saying that mortal wounds would bypass the shields as they were mortal wounds (special effect of mortal wounds) or that they didn't count towards unsaved wounds. Its more the single damage and cant stop that that gets them.

My bad.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Feb 12 2018 04:52

Yojimbob wrote:
comm_nagrom wrote:

Destroyer missles from the stormsurge would also work like seeker missles. So they would by pass as well.

Nitrogue wrote:I don't think mortal wounds would help here. Rules state any unsaved wounds, as mortals can not be saved against they would automatically fit in this category.

Basically need a weapon that fires a lot of low damage shots, rather than a OHKO super weapon.

To be an "unsaved wound" the tank needs to have a 'save roll' and fail the roll. There is no save roll involved with mortal wounds so the Necron transport ability simply doesn't interact with mortal wounds.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#24 » Feb 13 2018 04:31

Might need to get someone to scour the FAQs to see if this has been brought up. IMO mortals count as unsaved as they havent passed a save throw. for example (i know its OTT)an attack which does 5 normal wounds and and 3 mortal wounds. cover, armour, etc catches 3 of the normal wounds. therefore you have 3 saved wounds and 5 unsaved. I am new to all of this so may have missed something, but recall coming across this before. again probably needs a scouring of the FAQs to get an official answer.

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Feb 13 2018 05:08

Nitrogue wrote:Might need to get someone to scour the FAQs to see if this has been brought up. IMO mortals count as unsaved as they havent passed a save throw. for example (i know its OTT)an attack which does 5 normal wounds and and 3 mortal wounds. cover, armour, etc catches 3 of the normal wounds. therefore you have 3 saved wounds and 5 unsaved. I am new to all of this so may have missed something, but recall coming across this before. again probably needs a scouring of the FAQs to get an official answer.

The FAQ posted further up does say that it interacts with the shield, and the shield can't do anything to stop single damage shots. So I guess it counts as unsaved?

I never really though that each mortal wound counts a single point of damage, but that does make sense with the mechanics of how they spill over onto other models in a squad etc.

Now all we need is a reliable source of MWs that isn't one use! :)
'We act as one, and united we cannot fall'

-Commander Shadowsun

Rathstar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#26 » Feb 20 2018 09:06

With the talk of Destroyer Missiles wouldn't the Stormsurge itself be a good unit to target the Necron vehicles with Quantum Shielding. You have the destroyer missiles, the 20" range option on the pulse blast cannon (str12, 3 dam), and loads of str5 shots (at -1AP with ATS) if you need it.

Oddly the Stormsurge loadout I currently play with has Shield Gen, ATS & VT (and there's no necrons in my meta). First turn I occasionally call Mont'ka to advance forwards and fire normally. If I get 5 markerlights on my target I'm hitting the Necron vehicles on 2+, next turn if my pathfinders have been destroyed, I'll be anchored and still hit necron vehicles on 2+.

I think cases like Necron vehicles (another example being storm shield armed opponents, 3++ saves) reinforces the idea that we should have a mix of fusion and cib/mp commanders.

Rathstar

Return to “Tau Tactics”