Interesting Combo - Riptides and Ethereals

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Kelandis
Shas'Saal

Interesting Combo - Riptides and Ethereals

Post#1 » Feb 10 2018 11:46

So I was looking at Riptides again to see what I could do to make them better, and I had a crazy idea. Feel No Pain abilities stack now, so I realized that you could put Riptides in buff range of Ethereals and give them stimulant injectors to give them 2 feel no pain rolls. If you combine that with a shield drone cloud around a riptide, it makes them quite hard to kill! In theory anyway.

Krospgnasker
Shas

Re: Interesting Combo - Riptides and Ethereals

Post#2 » Feb 10 2018 01:24

Sure, but the Riptide still doesn't really... do anything. Giving it two 6+ FNP saves won't make it any scarier.

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Feb 10 2018 01:42

FNP stacks? :eek:

Shas'o Shortsight
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 10 2018 03:15

There is no FnP rule any more. It's now just a catch all phrase for this kind of rules. And since each of this rules is another rule, you are able to stack them. You could stack stiminjector, warlord trait and sense of stone for 3x 6+++.

Kelandis
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Feb 10 2018 05:20

I did the Mathhammer real quick and if I'm right (which I'm not sure I am) two 6+++ rolls gives a 30.5% chance to ignore wounds, not including saving rolls.

And yeah I just compared a riptide with HBC to crisis suits with Plasma rifles. Its not even a contest really :/. Three crisis suits is 18 shots inside 12" for s6 ap-3, whereas the riptide is 12 shots at 36" at s6, ap-3(ATS) but is about exactly 100 more points. So I guess its got the benefit of larger range, toughness and higher wound totals, but is just not as many shots for the points.

Maxwell
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Feb 10 2018 06:38

I played a game doing this with an r’varna, ethereal, shield drones, kroot screen and technical repair drones. It had stim ability as well so dual 6+++. My opponent promptly ignored it and it did...nothing. Yay? :::(

Zanotam
Shas

Post#7 » Feb 10 2018 06:47

I hate to say it, but it seems to me that you'd be better off just hoping the Stormsurge gets changed to be a battlesuit in our codex or that the Riptide gets buffed or taking the Y'vahra (sp?) as the cool new Riptide version. With how popular I imagine it to be I wouldnt' be surprised if Y'vahra (sp?) gets a codex spot maybe even (along with maybe xv9's potentially replacing xv8's maybe if I'm going to make wild guesses here I guess).

Kelandis
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Feb 10 2018 07:02

There's no precedent for Forgeworld models to be put into official Codexes so I don't think they'll replace any models that way. If I'm being hopeful a buff for Riptides would be fantastic, although I'm not sure how they'd go about it. First guess is a BS increase as its highly warranted. Beyond that I'm not so sure, well beyond points increases as well.

demurr
Shas

Post#9 » Feb 10 2018 07:28

Kelandis wrote:There's no precedent for Forgeworld models to be put into official Codexes so I don't think they'll replace any models that way.

Well they have done pretty much that with the great unclean one in the new daemons codex.

Zanotam
Shas

Post#10 » Feb 10 2018 07:52

There's no precedent for Forgeworld models to be put into official Codexes so I don't think they'll replace any models that way. If I'm being hopeful a buff for Riptides would be fantastic, although I'm not sure how they'd go about it. First guess is a BS increase as its highly warranted. Beyond that I'm not so sure, well beyond points increases as well.

I'm sorry, but are you seriously implying that current codices do not have Lords of war which started as forgeworld stuff? Because, uh, I'm pretty sure that the AM would like to have a word with you if nothing else... I mean, the baneblade was the *classic* example of forge world and they have it in their codex and I'm sure most of their like 10 lords of war started as forge world.

Kelandis
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Feb 10 2018 08:00

Okay apologies, I'm new to the game and that statement was based off of what I asked a friend of mine. I was wrong. Still though, I'm not sure they'd replace the Riptides or Crisis Suits.

comm_nagrom
Shas

Post#12 » Feb 10 2018 10:13

To be fair, all forgeworld models put into codex were then made as regular plastic minis, i don't quite see them doing that with the y'vahra or the r'vahna any time soon since they are still actively selling on FW

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Feb 11 2018 06:32

Zanotam wrote:I hate to say it, but it seems to me that you'd be better off just hoping the Stormsurge gets changed to be a battlesuit in our codex or that the Riptide gets buffed or taking the Y'vahra (sp?) as the cool new Riptide version. With how popular I imagine it to be I wouldnt' be surprised if Y'vahra (sp?) gets a codex spot maybe even (along with maybe xv9's potentially replacing xv8's maybe if I'm going to make wild guesses here I guess).

Unfortunately the storm surge is also canonically not a battlesuit. In the same book the coldstar is introduced ( one of the farsight series) the earth caste scientist who built it goes into some detail about how it isn't a battlesuit because it takes two pilots. Meaning that it's controlled like a tank, rather than through a neural interface as an extension of the body. Hence it not having the keyword- it's not a mistake or a misprint

Limitations? You mean you don't want Fido the kroot hound as a character?

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Feb 11 2018 12:44

comm_nagrom wrote:To be fair, all forgeworld models put into codex were then made as regular plastic minis, i don't quite see them doing that with the y'vahra or the r'vahna any time soon since they are still actively selling on FW

No but plastic XV9's yes please! A generic Commander in xv9 chassis? Who do I have to beg/bribe or blackmail to get this!

Return to “Tau Tactics”