When ATS is crucial.

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
War horse1
Shas

When ATS is crucial.

Post#1 » Feb 13 2018 05:31

I have 5 close friends that also play warhammer 40k. We play a lot of games together. I play tau, with the others playing necrons, orks, tyranids ultra marines and a black tempar grey knight mix.

Our games are sometimes 1v1, 1v1v1, 1v1v1v1, 2v1, 2v2, 2v2v2, 3v3, and sometimes all 6 of us play on the same map against the other 5 players. (We know that sometimes means not using correct deplyment zones but its just for fun, we follow all the other rules correctly. And he When we have deployment next to each other in the case of 1v1v1v1 or all 6 playing we made a rule saying that you cannot enter another players deplyment zone until your turn 2.) When we play with 3 deployment zones we use a triangle map that we created ourselves or we use the deplyment on each end of the map with a deployment circle in the centre. We play mostly kill points and tactical objectives games with matched points limits, except for the 2v1 game when we play that the single players points matches the points of the 2 players combined for fairness. Again i know this isnt alway correct but its just for fun in these games, although we are all very competitive amongst ourselves.

This means most games I play are against different armys and therefore i use a wide range of different troops in a single game, and the good thing about this is that you cannot possibly tailor your army against a single opponant.

The main point of this topic is the ATS. I find it very valuable when playing against the ultra marine, black templar/grey knights and necron players. without using math hammer i find that without ATS my army is a bit lack luster against there good saves. I use it on stealth suits ghost keels missile sides crisis suits and commanders(except QFCobviously). Specifically when using missile pods and cyclic ion blasters making it -2 to AP in my opinion works far better than just -1 and again without using math hammer believe -2 is approx 30% better than -1, because it almost doesnt matter the amount of shots you get if you cant get past there armour. This is even more evident when you factor in cover, I don't want to spend 160 odd points on a cyclic ion commander to only kill a few marines in cover, i cant justify it.

In the case of stealth suits i alway put the ATS on the bust cannons and multi tracker on the fusion blaster, in my mind we alreay have enough S5 AP0 weapons from FWs ang gun drones.

I read an article recently saying 8th edition is the age of mobility, AP, and multi damage, and i agree with this whole heartedly. But i find most people saying that they would rather (specifically for crisis and commanders) the extra gun that the ATS, which is true in some cases but in others it baffles me.

Im just looking for your experience with either using ATS or not and would like your opinions on the matter. Thanks again.

Kelandis
Shas'Saal

Re: When ATS is crucial.

Post#2 » Feb 13 2018 06:22

I would say it heavily depends on both what you're using as well as what youre fighting. If you've equipped fusion blasters or plasma rifles on your suits, ATS isn't really needed because of their already good AP. For burst cannons though I'd be more inclined to say its worth it, but again it depends on the target. If you're shooting at troops with a 3+ save, grab ATS. But if you're say shooting up ork boyz or guardsmen, grab yourself another burst cannon because their saves are already lackluster.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Feb 13 2018 06:28

Ats is one of the most valuable support systems you can take. I take it on any thing that can take a support system. The only time it doesn't have any value is a quad fusion blaster Comander. It's normally less powerful than replacing it with another weapon, but it's often more value points/wound. My favorite unit to place it on is a storm surge. I feel it's the only thing that is really allowing us to still carry a title of even being a shooty army.

gunrock
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 14 2018 02:58

War horse1 wrote:
In the case of stealth suits i always put the ATS on the bust cannons and multi tracker on the fusion blaster, in my mind we already have enough S5 AP0 weapons from FWs ang gun drones.

I read an article recently saying 8th edition is the age of mobility, AP, and multi damage, and i agree with this whole heartedly. But i find most people saying that they would rather (specifically for crisis and commanders) the extra gun that the ATS, which is true in some cases but in others it baffles me.

Generally, I agree with your praise of ATS as a support system. Whether it's 'good' seems really dependent on the restrictions of the unit taking it, as any unit where it doesn't displace a weapon hard point commonly takes it. The situations the seem most contested seem to be Crisis teams and Commanders, and the consensus seem to have shifted over time.

Particularly, in the context of Cyclic Ion Blaster there's been an argument that 9x CIB is more efficient then the 6x CIB ATS equivalent against all the same targets. Previously, it was thought that the ATS load out was both slightly cheaper, and virtually equivalent. I'm still using a combination of CIB DC and ATS until I hear a compelling argument.

I think it definitely make the burst cannon more useful, but using it on stealth teams is slightly problematic. Yes, it gives their weapon greater utility, but having to buy one ATS per cannon feels bad, especially considering the alternatives such as an XV-9 or a coldstar benefiting multiple weapons.
All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; Unto the place whither the rivers go, Thither they go again.

Return to “Tau Tactics”