Rules about drone controller.

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
War horse1
Shas

Rules about drone controller.

Post#1 » Feb 14 2018 05:50

I had an idea the other day and was woundering about clarification regarding drone controllers.

If you took a unit of three crisis suits each with a drone controller (not sure what to put in the other weapon slots so some insight would help there aswell) Making 3 drone controllers for the unit. And took 6 gun drones.

By stacking the DC would this take the drones from BS 5+ to 2+.

And how i would use this tactic would be to put 10 gun drones and a shield drone in a devil fish with a fireblade.
When the drones and fireblade leave the transport, manta strike the suits in next to them.

Making the drone with the fire blade (hopefully within half range) having 60 shots at BS 2+. With the 6 gun drones (outside half range) adding an extra 24 shots at BS 2+. (This is all dependant on position of course.) Then add the fireblades marker light to reroll 1s.

Would this tactic work? Asking for your thoughts.

Variant
Shas

Re: Rules about drone controller.

Post#2 » Feb 14 2018 06:04

Sadly, to my knowledge, this tactic will not work as intended because the effects of drone controllers do not stack. Even if you are in range of 3, you still only get the +1 BS benefit and that is it. Ergo, in your strategy, you would only have BS4+ gun drones.

Furthermore, and I'm not completely sure about this one, but i don't think the Cadre Fireblade can buff gun drones. I think his ability specifically targets <sept> infantry which the drones are not. But I am not sure about this one and I don't have the rule books at hand so I can't confirm this one.

War horse1
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 14 2018 06:15

Variant wrote:Sadly, to my knowledge, this tactic will not work as intended because the effects of drone controllers do not stack. Even if you are in range of 3, you still only get the +1 BS benefit and that is it. Ergo, in your strategy, you would only have BS4+ gun drones.

Furthermore, and I'm not completely sure about this one, but i don't think the Cadre Fireblade can buff gun drones. I think his ability specifically targets <sept> infantry which the drones are not. But I am not sure about this one and I don't have the rule books at hand so I can't confirm this one.

I believe the drone controller rule says that drones (within a certain distance) add 1 to there balistic skill, it doesnt say to a maximum of, or that the ability cannot stack.

I believe it would work as you can stack the feel no pain ability for example; a commander with stimulant injector and the tenacious survivor war lord trait and the ethereals (not sure of name) feel no pain ability. I have seen other people comment on this forum saying you can stack feel no pain so i would believe them.

The fireblade doesnt buff units, if you read the volley fire ability he has it says, pulse rifles and pulse carbines get an extra shot at half range. Because this ability buffs the weapon not the carryer it does infact work for gun drones.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 14 2018 06:21

All subject to chapter approved and FAQs which i don't have access to, but fireblade could buff the drones as the rules say "models in <sept> units....extra shot ith pulse pistols, pulse carbines...

rule for DC is friendly drone within 6" of a model equipped with a DC add one to any hit roll. I take that as if there is at least one, +1, doesn't stack, (look at it fluff wise, the tau in the suit is aiming the drones manually rather than the onboard AI). think this is something that would have cropped up in FAQ

Kelandis
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Feb 14 2018 06:24

The specific wording is that drones within 6" of a drone controller ad +1 to hit rolls. With that wording the trigger is whether or not there is at least 1 drone controller nearby, and thus multiple drone controllers do not stack.

The Cadre fireblade ability does affect drones though, because I believe it's wording is all tau empire units within 6" wielding pulse pistols, rifles or carbines, fire an additional shot within half range.

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Feb 14 2018 06:30

The Index wording is slightly vague as it says “within 6” of a model”. This has been errata'd though to say “within 6” of any models” making it clearer that it doesn’t stack. As others have said though, the Fireblade works fine with gun drones (including those attached to vehicles)

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Feb 14 2018 08:30

Generaly in 40k, buffs of the same name do not stack unless stated otherwise

Variant
Shas

Post#8 » Feb 15 2018 01:13

Beerson wrote:Generaly in 40k, buffs of the same name do not stack unless stated otherwise

Yes. I should have been more clear but this is what I was referring to when I said the drone controller won't stack. Generally, effects from the same rules do not stack unless otherwise stated in that rule description. The cases mentioned above about the 'Feel No Pain' effects stacking is because those are different rules. I.E. stimulant injector and the tenacious survivor warlord trait. These are two different rules that cause the same effect and is therefore not stacking. But both will take effect.

Return to “Tau Tactics”